Topic locked

Re: The main contenders for this years Worlds ?

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:Additionally Higgins record of defending the World title isn't that different to Williams or Ronnie. He reached the SF in 99 and twice has lost to the eventual winner whilst defending the title.

I don't know where you get your facts, but you better get them straight:

WC 2008: lost to RYAN DAY in the Last 16
WC 2010: lost to STEVE DAVIS in the Last 16

Your right, my bad - for some reason I thought the year he lost to Murphy was the year he was defending.

The year he lost to Davis, well that one can never be explained right - no idea what was going on there.

me, Smart, jojo and Muppet could explain it easy enough :chin: :gag:

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:Additionally Higgins record of defending the World title isn't that different to Williams or Ronnie. He reached the SF in 99 and twice has lost to the eventual winner whilst defending the title.

I don't know where you get your facts, but you better get them straight:

WC 2008: lost to RYAN DAY in the Last 16
WC 2010: lost to STEVE DAVIS in the Last 16

Your right, my bad - for some reason I thought the year he lost to Murphy was the year he was defending.

The year he lost to Davis, well that one can never be explained right - no idea what was going on there.

me, Smart, jojo and Muppet could explain it easy enough :chin: :gag:

:gramp:

Postby GJ

With the cut off point coming soon

Robbo and trump look likely to be in quarter 2 for the worlds as higgins moves up to top seed as DWC

Postby Casey

GJ wrote:With the cut off point coming soon

Robbo and trump look likely to be in quarter 2 for the worlds as higgins moves up to top seed as DWC

Robbo and Trump, two form players though who could easily win the Welsh or German masters and move up a few places.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:
GJ wrote:With the cut off point coming soon

Robbo and Trump, two form players though who could easily win the Welsh or German masters and move up a few places.

selby and williams have a big lead over them over 6000 points

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Is Ronnie also a main contender now? I would say: yes.

hes won a Ranking event on that evidence Bingham is a contender.

he needs to maintain that Form we all know hes capable last night proved nothing we did not know already.

Postby gallantrabbit

Band 1 would have to be Trump and Robbo.
Band 2 Higgins, Williams and possibly O'sullivan although I'm pretty sure Ronnie doesn't have the stamina/patience. The Allens/Selbys/Murphys/Maguires would be a surprise.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

he needs to maintain that Form we all know hes capable last night proved nothing we did not know already.

haha Bingham also a contender, get real

last night did prove something, it proved the doubters wrong who said Ronnie had no fight or hunger anymore

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:

There's a big difference. Bingham is a one hit wonder. Ronnie is an all time great, winning his confidence back and proving that he can fight like a Higgins or a Davis.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

There's a big difference. Bingham is a one hit wonder. Ronnie is an all time great, winning his confidence back and proving that he can fight like a Higgins or a Davis.

not proved nothing we all knew Ronnie could turn it on well apart from witz who thought he was done with...

as gallant said there are still question marks over him i think the Welsh then World Open are the key if Ronnie is a bonafied WC Contender again.

Postby Monique

It baffles me that anyone sees Ding currently as a contender.
Look at the one year ranking list here http://snooker.org/res/index.asp?templa ... eason=2011 and look where he is. He's 31, even behind Hendry… and that's not because of the PTCs. Yes, he skipped quite a few, but contrary to others who are in the top 16 he's in the top 24 so he's got enough points from them.
Also I don't see Higgins as a contender currently. He's not done anything this season that would justify to put him there and he's not been great at defending his WC in recent years: round 2 defeat to Ryan Day in 2008 and to Steve Davis in 2010 …

They both of course still have a few tournaments to come good before the WC, but just now I don't see them there.

For me the two main contenders currently are Robertson and Trump. In that order
Then I see three players who form a kind of "second group" of contenders, second in that there are some reservations for each of them.
They are - in no particular order -
Selby who has been consistent but unable to really make it in the last months
Ronnie who's win in the German Masters proves he's still a force and still has the hunger but need to prove he can be consistent
Maguire who's game has really impressed me recently but who looks a bit vulnerable under pressure.

And if we need a dark horse, then that'll be Dott for me. Always doing well in long formats and you don't do 3 World Finals by chance.

Postby Witz78

my outside tip this year is actually Ebdon

his current situation and results have been dire, but i could see The Force relishing the chance of being written off as a no-hoper and producing some mind numbing stuff to grind even the likes of perennial bore Robbo others down,

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:witz and muppet

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

that u been watching Robbo playing again mate :zzz:

no ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

at your boring wumming

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Main contenders:

Ding
Robbo
Ronnie
Trump

Contenders:

Higgins
Murphy
Selby
Maguire
Allen

cant believe youve overlooked Dott, hes def gotta be in the contenders bracket/

hes def in with a shout over the longer format, made 3 out of the last 8 world finals and has the mental game and desire to triumph over the longer format <ok>

Id have to rate Selby as a main contender too, and as much as it pains me to say Higgins has to be a main contender just cos of his track record. :mood:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Dott hasn't done that much this season, has he? Yes OK he could have a good run but I'm certain he won't win the title.

Higgins would be a main contender every year but not as defending champion and not after what he showed so far this season.

Selby, OK you can count him as main contender but he disappointed the last couple of years now and it makes you think whether he will ever win it.

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Main: Higgins,Trump,Robertson,Selby

Outsiders: Lisowski,Lawler,M.Campbell,Drago,Baird,Ali Bassiri

theres no bigger outsider than you <laugh>

:-D

There's no virtue in being in the majority.

<ok>

Postby jojo

in no particular order the main favourites are ding robertson ronnie higgins trump

selby has a chance but he just outside those main favourites along with murphy allen maguire will be a contender but wont win it

i still maintain ronnie will win it this year his tournament will start properly in the quarter finals