Post a reply

2014 World Cup of Pool

Postby PLtheRef

The 2014 World Cup of Pool starts on Tuesday and runs until Sunday at Portsmouth's Mountbatten Centre. 32 Teams representing 31 countries are competing for the $60,000 first prize.

Dennis Orcollo and Lee Van Corteza are defending champions and will be hoping to secure the fourth World Cup title for the Philippines who would become the first country to defend the trophy if they win next Sunday. However they are expected to face stiff challenges from Nick van den Berg and reigning World Champion Neils Feijn from the Netherlands as well as Germany represented by former World Champions Thorsten Hohmann and Ralf Souquet. Mika Immonen and Petri Makkonen are seeded eighth as they begin their quest to regain their World Cup title. The USA seeded fifth are represented by Shane van Boening and Earl Strickland.

England as host nation are represented by two teams, 2013 Mosconi Cup winners Darren Appleton and Karl Boyes make up England A whilst England B are represented by former World 9 Ball Champion Daryl Peach as well as Mosconi Cup regular, former World 8 Ball Champion and current snooker professional Chris Melling

MATCHROOM POOL WEBSITE wrote:The Draw

Philippines (1) v Chile
Italy (16) v France
Finland (8) v Korea
Poland (9) v Australia
USA (5) v Croatia
Japan (12) v Russia
England A (4) v Spain
Greece (13) v Indonesia
China (3) v Czech Republic
England B (14) v India
Chinese Taipei (6) v Qatar
Austria (11) v Portugal
Germany (7) v Malaysia
Canada (10) v Vietnam
Holland (2) v Sweden
Thailand (15) v Switzerland

Match Schedule
23 Tuesday Afternoon - 12 noon
Greece (13) v Indonesia
Italy (16) v France
Austria (11) v Portugal

23 Tuesday evening - 6pm
Japan (12) v Russia
Finland (8) v Korea
Philippines (1) v Chile

24 Wednesday Afternoon - 12 noon
Poland (9) v Australia
China (3) v Czech Republic
Chinese Taipei (6) v Qatar

24 Wednesday evening - 6pm
Holland (2) v Sweden
USA (5) v Croatia
England A (4) v Spain

25 Thursday afternoon - 12 noon
Germany (7) v Malaysia
Canada (10) v Vietnam
Thailand (15) v Switzerland

25 Thursday evening - 6pm
England B (14) v India

Round 2
Philippines / South America v Italy /France
USA / Croatia v Japan / Russia

26 Friday afternoon - 12 noon
Finland / Korea v Poland / Australia
Chinese Taipei / Qatar v Austria v Portugal
Holland / Sweden v Thailand / Switzerland

26 Friday evening - 6pm
Germany / Malaysia v Canada / Vietnam
China / Czech Republic v England B / India
England A /Spain v Greece / Indonesia

27 Saturday afternoon - 1pm
Quarter Final 1
Quarter Final 2

27 Saturday evening - 7:30pm
Quarter Final 3
Quarter Final 4

28 Sunday afternoon - 1pm
Semi Final 1
Semi Final 2

28 Sunday evening - 6pm
The Final

Format:
First Round and Second round: Best of 13 racks (race to 7)
Quarter-finals and Semi-Finals: Best of 17 racks (race to 9)
Final: Best of 19 racks (race to 10)

The team line ups are

Europe (17)
Austria - Albin Ouschan & Mario He
Croatia - Ivica Putnik & Karlo Dalmatin
Czech Republic - Roman Hybler & Michal Gavenciak
England A – Darren Appleton & Karl Boyes
England B - Daryl Peach & Chris Melling
Finland – Mika Immonen & Petri Makkonen
France - Stephan Cohen & Alex Montpelier
Germany – Ralf Souquet & Thorsten Hohmann
Greece - Nikos Ekonomopoulos & Alexander Kazakis
Holland – Niels Feijen & Nick van den Berg
Italy - Fabio Petroni & Daniele Corrieri
Poland – Karol Skowerski & Mateusz Sniegocki
Portugal - Manuel Gama & Guilherme Sousa
Russia - Konstantin Stepanov & Ruslan Chinakhov
Spain - David Alcaide & Francisco Diaz-Pizarro
Sweden - Andreas Gerwen & Tomas Larsson
Switzerland - Dimitri Jungo & Ronni Regli

Rest of World (5)
Australia - Phil Reilly & James Georgiadis
Canada – Alex Pagulayan & John Morra
Chile - Alejandro Carvajal & Enrique Rojas
Qatar – Waleed Majid & Bashar Hussain
USA – Shane Van Boening & Earl Strickland

Asia (10)
China - Wang Can & Dang Jinhu
Chinese Taipei – Chang Yu-lung & Hsu Kai Lun
India – Raj Hundal & Amar Kang
Indonesia – Irsal Nasution & Muhammad Zulfikri
Japan – Hayato Hijikata & Masaaki Tanaka
Korea – Jeong Yung Hwa & Ha Minuk
Malaysia - Ibrahim Amir & Alan Tan
Philippines – Dennis Orcollo & Lee Vann Corteza
Thailand – Nitiwat Kanjanasri & Tanut Makkamontee
Vietnam - Nguyen Phuc Long & Dang Thanh Kien

Anyone tuning in?

Re: 2014 World Cup of Pool

Postby Wildey

They have been very accommodating to Chris Melling giving him maximum possible time to acclimatize to a Pool Table.

Postby PLtheRef

SNOOKERFAN wrote:I notice this is being televised on Sky Sports starting on Tuesday.

I don't know much about pool, other than I suck at it when I've tried it in the pub.

How prestigious is this tournament? And more to the point, how entertaining?

It's in the Mountbatten Centre. A venue I have enjoyed visiting for the Snooker Seniors. It's a fairly easy train ride away from me, and there are some good pubs in Portsmouth.

What is the format of this tournament? Is it worth my attention?

Format:
First Round and Second round: Best of 13 racks (race to 7)
Quarter-finals and Semi-Finals: Best of 17 racks (race to 9)
Final: Best of 19 racks (race to 10)

I've never really followed the World Cup but it's essentially a doubles tournament. I enjoy following the nineball pool and if you're nearby the tickets are £5 daytime session and £10 at night. Worth it it seems to me.

Postby SnookerFan

Not quite nearby, an hour on the train.

Wondered if it was worth a day trip. Though if I stayed the night, hotels are below expensive that weekend.

Postby Dan-cat

I attended it last year, I won tickets from a World Snooker mail out, the first 5 respondents got two tickets. It did help that it was 10 minutes walk from my flat at the Bethnal Green Hall, home to many a famous unlicensed boxing match.

My friend and I had a brilliant time. We met a former pool professional (who was sat in front of us) and he filled us in on all the players. He told us The older Phillipino guy was the best money player in the world, and that he never misses. He didn't miss a ball the whole match. Quite staggering. It was a first round match, and I think they were playing Holland, and they took the Dutch dudes apart. It was hilarious, the older Dutch guy started having a massive go at his young partner! I saw them outside later and they were smiling so I wonder if it was a bit for show ('we are getting slaughtered, let's at least make this interesting!')

We were sat with lots of Phillipino fans and we were given a flag and joined in the support! A friend of mine was watching on Sky TV and he saw us jumping up and down and whooping for the Phillipinos, and one of the fans gave us his business card and invited us to his house if we ever go to the Phillipines.

To top it off, we met the lovely Michael Tabb after the match! That was a good day.

Postby Dan-cat

They take alternate shots, which I've never played before, and I think makes it more exciting. I've always played doubles where you take turns to have a visit, and complete your break, but in this game you literally take one shot each.

Postby Sickpotter

Scotch doubles format.

Personally I prefer that format for doubles as you can't have one strong player carry the team, both have to play well.

Postby Dan-cat

haha I knew you'd like that. She is lovely. My mate and I posed for pictures with her and we were grinning a lot and she said 'you lads are easily pleased!'

I read a tweet earlier from Earl 'the Pearl' Strickland saying he'd just landed and was headed straight to the Hurricane Rooms in Kings Cross which is my club with Shane Van Boening, I'm headed there at 5 to play snooker, I hope he's still there. Tony Drago keeps his American Pool match table there, never seen him there though.

Postby PLtheRef

Day 1 results

Greece 7-6 Indonesia
Italy 4-7 France
Austria 7-2 Portugal
Japan 6-7 Russia
Finland 7-0 Korea
Philippines 7-5 Chile
Last edited by PLtheRef on 24 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:When's the first England game is it tomorrow?

Yep Boyes and Appleton play tomorrow against Spain

Postby PLtheRef

An uncomfortably close 7-5 win for Philippines over Chile to round off the first day. They meet France in the last 16.

Day 2 Results

Poland 7-4 Australia
China 7-5 Czech Republic
Chinese Taipei 5-7 Qatar

Holland 7-3 Sweden
USA 7-2 Croatia
England A 7-6 Spain
Last edited by PLtheRef on 24 Sep 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby TheSaviour

Nice to see that Earl the Pearl are still there. And why wouldn´t be. Just a pitty that Germans don´t have Thomas "The Lean Machine" Engert there. He´s a quite interesting as a pool player.

But all this is good, since it takes the pressure off from the players. That´s something World Snooker need to learn and develop soon. I shall be putting my inputs untill we get this thing straight.

Postby PLtheRef

England just about clung on for a 7-6 win over Spain in the final match of the evening having trailed 3-2 5-3 and 6-5 during the contest. Wins for Holland and USA brought day 2 to its conclusion. The Last 16 starts tomorrow evening with matches still best of 13 or race to 7.

2nd Round Draw

Philippines (1) v France
Finland (8) v Poland (9)
USA (5) v Russia
England A (4) v Greece (13)
China (3) v England B (14) / India
Qatar v Austria (11)
Germany (7) / Malaysia v Canada (10) / Vietnam
Holland (2) v Thailand (15) / Switzerland

Postby PLtheRef

Day 3 Matches

Germany v Malaysia
Canada v Vietnam
Thailand v Switzerland
England B v India

Round 2
Philippines v France
USA v Russia

Postby TheSaviour

Just watched USA vs Croatia from the youtube. Croatia were abysmal to say at least. Can´t understand how they can play so poorly. They should get banned from the tournament years to come after performance like that. They COMPLETELY messed up even the easiest important shots and clearences.

Performances like that just can´t be accepted. They harm the pool billiard worldwide when playing so poorly. What a tw@ts. Were they born like that, or has they just perfected that. Being a tw@ts.

Stricland, however, were fantastic as excepted.

Postby TheSaviour

So England delighted the home crowds winning the cup. Appleton and Boyes.

But seems that almost all the teams had the same problem; when plan A failed, the plan B caused some silly pressure misses. They just couldn´t deliver the shots when the pressure was on.