Post a reply

Anyone watching 3 cushion billiards on Eurosport 2?

Postby Roland

I love watching this game, so much skill and knowledge of the angles. I've series linked it, can't follow it live this weekend but it's good late night viewing. Think I'll spread it out over the next few weeks.

According to sky tonight is qualifying for the Agipi 3-Cushion Masters from Schiltigheim, France.

Re: Anyone watching 3 cushion billiards on Eurosport 2?

Postby Roland

I'm watching too now you reminded me, but had the sky+ set up so can watch it all :D

It really is a great game. I try to work out what shot to play but I'm constantly amazed at the shots they come up with. My favourite player that I've seen is Torbjörn Blomdahl. Youtube him, there's plenty of footage.

Postby randam05

I just finished watching it. Was pretty good.

I like to invent my versions of the shots too, but they do come up with some extraordinary ones making sure the other ball doesnt get in the way of making contact.

Enjoyable <ok>

Postby Monique

Zanetti yesterday came up with a few crackers towards the end of his match.
The game is still very popular in Greece and you would be amazed at the shots pulled by some of the guys who play in my club in Athens.

Postby Roland

The last but one shot from Zanetti! He was tight on the red against the cushion and was raising the butt of the cue then getting down off the shot then considering and I was thinking "Go on, I want to see what you're thinking" and then he played it. I thought he was going to swerve with pace but he played such a delicate little shot and the cue ball bent and fizzed around the table to make contact with the white.

:bowdown:

So now Zanetti has my attention as well as Coudron and Blomdahl.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:Is it a series? I've noticed there's some on tonight on Eurosport 2. I'll probably get it taped, as I want to be up early tomorrow to watch the snooker. Is this on every week?

Im not sure SF..have you ever watched it before? Its pretty good late night viewing <ok>

Postby wheelsofsteel

I am not a fan of pocketless snooker.

But, I have noticed that despite the size of the balls, the distances travelled by the balls and the fact the balls are coming off cushions three or four times, none of the players ever question the table, the cushions or appear to get 'kicks.'

I can only conclude that in snooker there must be something on the referees gloves- or something in the pockets

Postby Monique

wheelsofsteel wrote:I am not a fan of pocketless snooker.

But, I have noticed that despite the size of the balls, the distances travelled by the balls and the fact the balls are coming off cushions three or four times, none of the players ever question the table, the cushions or appear to get 'kicks.'

I can only conclude that in snooker there must be something on the referees gloves- or something in the pockets

Ever tried it? It's not that easy to "jump" a ball of that weight, unless you are really taking it very low and rather brutally. We DO have some strange reactions at times, just it's not obviously "kicks"

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:I am not a fan of pocketless snooker.

Ever tried it? It's not that easy to "jump" a ball of that weight, unless you are really taking it very low and rather brutally. We DO have some strange reactions at times, just it's not obviously "kicks"

I have tried it. It was good fun. All I said was I am not a fan.

Stick it beside 6 reds, power snooker etc.

Postby Monique

I was not "attacking" you for preferring other cue sports, I was just wondering if you had tried it because if you have you should know how much "inertia" those balls have as compared to snooker balls.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:I was not "attacking" you for preferring other cue sports, I was just wondering if you had tried it because if you have you should know how much "inertia" those balls have as compared to snooker balls.

I think it's a better game to play and than to watch

Postby Monique

I don't know. There was 3-cushions on Belgian/Netherlands Eurosport last week-end with a Merckx v Caudron final that according to the hubby was awesome (Merckx winning) but that's all I know. I was in Berlin…

Postby Monique

Blomdahl literally nuked Kasidokostas. 50-7. Scary stuff it was! For the record they had met in the round-robin phase and the Greek had won 50-30, so it's not that he's a mug, far from it. He's a former World Champion, just never got going today.
Both semis are played tomorrow. I can only encourage everyone to tune in for Blomdahl's match (order of play not decided yet but it's either late afternoon or early evening).

Postby Monique

Martin Horn beats Jaspers. Bit of a surprise but 3-cushions is (even) more unpredictable than snooker. Blomdahl v Choy tomorrow should be a cracker.
BTW 3-cushions leaves you wondering how much "professionalism" corrupts a sport. In 3-cushions the prize money for the World Champion is 5000€ … no kidding.
But tonight you had Blomdahl and Sanchez watching and discussing the match between them. Kasidokostas, despite his heavy defeat only hours earlier, in the audience with his friend. And Zanetti who was eliminated from the competition months ago, there, having made the travel, with his very young son. Not to mention the Koreans watching every match. It's called passion.

Postby Roland

Some of the judgement is unbelivable. They look like they hardly touch the ball and it just keeps on moving. I love the way as well so many of the shots end up perfect pace and hit the second ball full ball. It's a pretty remarkable game, I'm starting to learn a few of the shots but most of the time I'm just guessing and get it wildly wrong which isn't surprising given they are playing shots I've never seen before or even thought possible.