Post a reply

Re: Anyone watching 3 cushion billiards on Eurosport 2?

Postby Roland

Sonny wrote:I'm watching too now you reminded me, but had the sky+ set up so can watch it all :D

It really is a great game. I try to work out what shot to play but I'm constantly amazed at the shots they come up with. My favourite player that I've seen is Torbjörn Blomdahl. Youtube him, there's plenty of footage.

Just noticed this from last year. Love the commentator: "Holy rubbish...oops, gotta watch my enthusiasm there" <laugh>

Postby Monique

We're spoilt with the commenting this time on ES2 FR as Jérôme Bury, last year runner-up, is in the commentary box. No need to say, he knows what he's talking about and explains what options are available before the shot is played. Quite interesting.

Postby Wildey

i watched a bit the other week although i apreciate the skill involved theres no real veriaty and in turn is slightly dull watching for me...

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:i watched a bit the other week although i apreciate the skill involved theres no real veriaty and in turn is slightly dull watching for me...

As compared to snooker the variety is elsewhere. In 3-cushions you will see shots you will never see in snooker and even never imagined to be possible. Bear in mind that you don't just try to hit both target balls and at least 3-cushions, you also try to leave an as easy as possible next shot for yourself, or if your percentage is low, an as difficult as possible situation for your opponent, and ideally both, which is possible because, contrary to snooker, the situation isn't symmetric because each player has their own cue ball. In snooker you basically have to control 2 balls, your object ball and the cue ball; in 3-cushions you need to control all 3 balls. On the other hand in snooker you can plan several shots ahead, which isn't the case in 3-cushions. Different challenges.

Postby roy142857

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:i watched a bit the other week although i apreciate the skill involved theres no real veriaty and in turn is slightly dull watching for me...

As compared to snooker the variety is elsewhere. In 3-cushions you will see shots you will never see in snooker and even never imagined to be possible. Bear in mind that you don't just try to hit both target balls and at least 3-cushions, you also try to leave an as easy as possible next shot for yourself, or if your percentage is low, an as difficult as possible situation for your opponent, and ideally both, which is possible because, contrary to snooker, the situation isn't symmetric because each player has their own cue ball. In snooker you basically have to control 2 balls, your object ball and the cue ball; in 3-cushions you need to control all 3 balls. On the other hand in snooker you can plan several shots ahead, which isn't the case in 3-cushions. Different challenges.

When I do see this I'm constantly amazed by the shots some of the players pull off, knowledge of the angles is of course brilliant, it doesn't hold me like snooker does but I still like watching when it's on and I have nothing else that needs doing!