Post a reply

Rules: Injustice last night at Pool?

Postby Dan-cat

So I'm on a clear up last night, and earlier in the game I'd left a ball over the pocket to help me check out. I'm playing Spanish rules, so I'd purposefully left this ball on the bag because the black was near the opposite pocket.

I landed nicely on the two balls near the middle bags, and was walking round to pot these two sitters, leave the ball over the bag, then pot the simple black. A formality.

But as I walked round, the ball over the bag fell in. I was nowhere near it, no ball had come close to it, it just fell in. My immediate thought was that this ball should be replaced, and I should be allowed to carry on with my break. But my opponents were having none of this, and I was left unable to check out, eventually losing the game.

I googled afterwards, and most reports say that ball should have been replaced, as I suspected. What do you think?

Re: Rules: Injustice last night at Pool?

Postby Dan-cat

HappyCamper wrote:yes it should have been replaced.

In a pub game, obviously this would be tricky, as you'd have to pay to get the ball out (or get the keys or whatever - not happening) but in this case and in a pool hall it's a free table so it could have just been replaced.

I was actually pretty fuming, quite unusual for me, but I channeled it and played like a demon for the remainder of the night. It properly tuned me in.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:Dan only getting annoyed about pool checks out

I haven't got angry at pool in a long time. But I was silently seething after that injustice and it focussed me so much I shut them out the last few games. It's weird - getting angry kinda goes against perceived thinking of how to do well in sports?

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:

I haven't got angry at pool in a long time. But I was silently seething after that injustice and it focussed me so much I shut them out the last few games. It's weird - getting angry kinda goes against perceived thinking of how to do well in sports?

Whatever helps you focus. Works for Ali Carter.

Postby Juddernaut88

Dan-cat wrote:

I had a similar incident playing Snooker about 10 years ago or so. It was a black ball game. My opponent fouled which means the frame goes to me but he said as the point difference is under 8 the frame should continue. I knew this was wrong and I struggled to find anything online at the time as I didn't have a smart phone back then and it was a pretty slow phone so I reluctantly went with his decision. He went on to win the frame but I did eventually win this match.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

I had a similar incident playing Snooker about 10 years ago or so. It was a black ball game. My opponent fouled which means the frame goes to me but he said as the point difference is under 8 the frame should continue. I knew this was wrong and I struggled to find anything online at the time as I didn't have a smart phone back then and it was a pretty slow phone so I reluctantly went with his decision. He went on to win the frame but I did eventually win this match.

Yeah, Dan’s one is a bit pffft because pub game innit? Millions of different rules and nobody really cares, except Dan

But yours totally pissses me off, Judders; how can people not grasp the simple adage “FOUL ON TGE BLACK ENDS THE BUCKING FRAME” :grrr:

I’ve been known to throttle people over that one (so far I’ve always managed to get it down to manslaughter, and Community Service, due to ignorance over snooker rules, but one day my luck is bound to run out and it will be custodial :sad:

Postby Prop

Another good one is people not realising the frame is over if the pink goes down and puts them at snookers required.

Or a variation of this - wataching with someone who isn’t really into snooker - “Why don’t they ever pot the black at the end of the frame?”

Postby Dan-cat

McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Whatever helps you focus. Works for Ali Carter.

Totally. Tuned me right in.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Injustice my hole. Can't be sticking in another € just to re-spot a ball. If anything the boys in the pub are heroes.

Well yes but I wasn't in a pub, I was at a private house the table is free!

Pink Ball wrote:Dan, you've been screwed over big time here

rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:“No playing backwards following an in-off” is a pet peeve of mine.

Yes this is in Spanish bar rules. You also can't use the middle pockets, or hit a ball anywhere before the middle pocket line if you have the ball following an in-off.

This leads to some interesting situations when on the black. If it's behind the baulk line then you have to shoot up the table first. However, your opponent won't get two shots if you are on the black, so you can just put the white somewhere safe.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Injustice my hole. Can't be sticking in another € just to re-spot a ball. If anything the boys in the pub are heroes.

Well yes but I wasn't in a pub, I was at a private house the table is free!

Pink Ball wrote:Dan, you've been screwed over big time here

rofl

Pinkin' aint easy.