Topic locked

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Andre147

Odrl wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Eurosport ended their transmission... and fromsport is down now :grrr: :grrr: so cant quite tell what both players said post-match.. anyone here watching it??

Unless I missed it, there haven't been any interviews yet. Both players got their "cups" though.

Something must have been up though... Ebdon didnt seem happy at all after the match ended.. something to do with the crowd I reckon.. and Mags looked bemused by it.. a bit of controversy in there looming...

Postby Andre147

Still, it is a magnificent win for Peter there, with his age and all, it is quite an achievment. Mags couldnt do it in the end, tried very hard though...

Now Peter eran a spot in the premier league rofl rofl rofl rofl I looked forward to seeing him there :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ranking titles winning spans by snooker legends:

John Parrott - 7 years
Ken Doherty - 13 years
Steve Davis - 14 years
Mark Williams - 15 years
John Higgins - 17 years
Jimmy White - 18 years
Stephen Hendry - 18 years
Ronnie O'Sullivan - 19 years
Peter Ebdon - 19 years

That is very impressive by Peter Ebdon.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ranking titles winning spans by snooker legends:

John Parrott - 7 years
Ken Doherty - 13 years
Steve Davis - 14 years
Mark Williams - 15 years
John Higgins - 17 years
Jimmy White - 18 years
Peter Ebdon - 19 years

Good stats there mate <ok> <ok> and nice to see Ronnie with that amazing record, along with peter now

Postby Skullman

Finally got back on here. I pity Lisowski, who'll be his probable opponent at the qualifiers. He thought he'd be getting crap Ebdon, but has got an Ebdon who has just gained a lot of confidence from this victory. Who knows maybe he'll pull a Judd and get to the World Final this year. ;-)

Gutted for Maguire. If that first session had been slightly closer, then maybe he could've won...

But he should try to take the positives and work on his game for Sheffield. He'll most likely have Dott and Higgins who at the Crucible will be as hard to scrape off the table as Ebdon was today.

Postby Skullman

John Parrott - 7 years
Ken Doherty - 13 years
Steve Davis - 14 years
Mark Williams - 15 years
John Higgins - 17 years
Jimmy White - 18 years
Peter Ebdon - 19 years

Well done Peter, but maybe you should add days t help differentiate between legends with the same number of years.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

What makes Ebdon's run even more impressive is that he hasn't had an esay draw at all.

Liang Wenbo - a player he has a terrible h2h against - 5-0
Lu Haotian - wildcard round - 5-2
Matthew Stevens - who has had a good and consistent season - 5-3
John Higgins - one of the hardest players to beat in close matches - 5-4
Neil Robertson - Masters Champion and second in the provisional rankings 5-3
Ding Junhui - Welsh Open Champion in good form 6-3
Stephen Maguire - played arguably the best snooker all week up to the final 10-9

Considering his draw, his age and his form before the tournament this title has to be considered as one of snooker's all time great achievements.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

John Parrott - 7 years
Ken Doherty - 13 years
Steve Davis - 14 years
Mark Williams - 15 years
John Higgins - 17 years
Jimmy White - 18 years
Peter Ebdon - 19 years

Well done Peter, but maybe you should add days t help differentiate between legends with the same number of years.

That's a lot of work and I don't even have all the data I need. For example I don't know when 1993 Grand Prix took place.
But Dave Hendon wrote on his blog that
If Ebdon wins today he will set a new record for the longest gap between first and most recent world ranking titles.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

DavieMac wrote:Damn you Ebdon. I'm screwed after that and I was only watching, God knows how Mags feels. The wait goes on.

I'm sorry and I know how you must feel right now.

But you have to see the positives - Maguire has a pretty good draw at the Crucible and I can honestly see him making the final.

Postby Alpha

Ebdon just snatches O'Sullivan's record for longest gap between first and last ranking victories by 3 months, he won the 1993 Grand Prix a month before O'Sullivan won the UK and has won in China two months after O'Sullivan won in Germany.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

John Parrott - 7 years
Ken Doherty - 13 years
Steve Davis - 14 years
Mark Williams - 15 years
John Higgins - 17 years
Jimmy White - 18 years
Peter Ebdon - 19 years

That's a lot of work and I don't even have all the data I need. For example I don't know when 1993 Grand Prix took place.
But Dave Hendon wrote on his blog that
If Ebdon wins today he will set a new record for the longest gap between first and most recent world ranking titles.

well the top 6 in Years and Months are

Peter Ebdon 18 years and 6 months Oct 93-April 2012
Ronnie O'Sullivan 18 years and 3 months Nov 93-February 2012
Jimmy White 18 years and 2 months January 1986 - March 2004
Stephen Hendry 17 years and 4 months Oct 87- February 2005
John Higgins 16 years and 6 months Oct 94- May 2011
Mark Williams 14 years and 1 month January 1996- February 2011

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Jimmy White should be 18 years and 2 months.

i know tried many times to correct it the site did not let me in catched the slow bug from ebdon lol

Postby SnookerFan

Just watched the highlights this evening, as I couldn't get live stream to work earlier. Turned into a much faster-paced match which you wouldn't have thought after six frames. Also, a very close match which you wouldn't have thought either at 5-1.

Well done Peter. Big achievement, really.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Well done Ebdon, a winner nobody predicted, huge shock but he has a good record in oversees events.

A dragged out match, and of course boring at times when Ebdon is involved, good fightback by Mags but just not enough.

Ebdon will probably now lose in the World Championship qualifiers after all of this.

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Well done Ebdon, a winner nobody predicted, huge shock but he has a good record in oversees events.

A dragged out match, and of course boring at times when Ebdon is involved, good fightback by Mags but just not enough.

Ebdon will probably now lose in the World Championship qualifiers after all of this.

There will be an outpouring of mourning if that happens....

Seriously, you've got to respect Peter. Still winning rankers at his age.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
nice_shoes_ken wrote:Well done Ebdon, a winner nobody predicted, huge shock but he has a good record in oversees events.

There will be an outpouring of mourning if that happens....

Seriously, you've got to respect Peter. Still winning rankers at his age.

his style of snooker its always possible that's why journeymen has a level of success in snooker in to their late 30s and 40s of course peter no journeyman but he plays that sort of game.

basically its bored in to submission tactic you cant criticise it because honestly its up to his opponents to rise above it if they dont he always has a chance.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Ebdon's been getting praise from a lot of the younger snooker players, Anthony McGill in particular on his facebook page.

whitch is brilliant to see them apreciating a different side to snooker and a side i like infact.

Postby Roland

It's also interesting to note that he's had praise from a few who would be saying the opposite if Selby had won when Selby at his absolutely slowest is still twice as fast as Ebdon. I doubt Selby could make a century break last 20 minutes even if he tried.

Postby randam05

Only just finished watching it. That was truely incredible.

What a performance from ebdon all week. Very much deserved that.

That long pot in the final frame was amazing.