Topic locked

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open Quarter Final Discussion!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Interesting. A Maguire vs Lee semi. I haven't seen any of Maguire all week, but sounds like he missed plenty of chances, but held it together to win on a respotted black. Lee seems to be the form player at the moment though.

How do people see it going?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

boris_the_butcher wrote:missed the last couple of frames but to lose on a re-spot by a fluke has got to hurt. I know Trump was ll over the place on the other table and didn't deserve to win.

These things can happen, I'm only disappointed Ronnie couldn't get position on the last red. That bad positional shot cost him the match in the end.

Postby Monique

Maguire looked the better player for most of the match and Ronnie was always up against it, showed great fighting qualities, coming back from 0-2 to 2-2, 2-3 to 3-3, 3-4 to 4-4. Yes he looked set to win but then lost position on the last red and missed it. Maguire indeed held himself together well to tie and earn the respotted black. And, yes, he fluked it, it happens.
I've no doubt that the "anti-fluke" brigade will be out in force and that I'll have to deal with some right abuse on ROS forum from that lot. They should look up at their idol: Ronnie took it very sportsmanly, congratulating his opponent warmly with a smile.

From a snooker fan point of view this was a great, great match. It had it all: good snooker, twist, turns and the ultimate drama. As A Ronnie fan, I would have loved to see him win of course. It wasn't to be and good luck to Maguire for the rest of the tournament.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:Ronnie did not play well he looked out of sorts all week has to be said.

Whether you believe it or not I don't care but I know for fact, that he is ill and came to China against his doctor's advice and without proper preparation. He's done his best and that's all one can ask. All I hope is that he will be fit enough to give the WC a good go and that's not guaranteed. Glandular fever leaves you totally exhausted and devoid of energy and needs several months to heal. There is no medication for it, just rest and patience.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:Ronnie did not play well he looked out of sorts all week has to be said.

Whether you believe it or not I don't care but I know for fact, that he is ill and came to China against his doctor's advice and without proper preparation. He's done his best and that's all one can ask. All I hope is that he will be fit enough to give the WC a good go and that's not guaranteed. Glandular fever leaves you totally exhausted and devoid of energy and needs several months to heal. There is no medication for it, just rest and patience.

having seen him play he was not looking to good hope he can recover fully by the Worlds <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I was at that match in The Masters where Ronnie won. That was another close match, where it came to a decider and Ronnie missed when trying to clear up the colours. If memory serves me, he missed the blue and Maguire cleaned them up to win.

Funny how Maguire can win close matches against Ronnie, (you can barely get closer than winning on a respotted black), but also has the ability to almost act scared of him a lot of the time.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I think Maguire doesn't appreciate the close wins he had over Ronnie that much. In London he thought he only won because Ronnie missed the last blue and today he will probably be thinking he only won because of the fluke. Also Ronnie won the far more important matches, a first round and quarter final win don't make up for a Crucible defeat from well in front, a humiliation in the UK final, a defeat in the German Masters final he thought he had in the bag and countless other close encounters. Next time they play it will be business as usual.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think the most interesting thing about the match wasn't that Maguire won but that he only scraped over the winning line despite being the overall better player today.

True that. However it's a good recovery for him considering how he fell apart against Ronnie at the German masters.

Lee v Maguire is a real tough one to call - I think the winner of tht match will win the event.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:Disappointing morning. Was hoping for a Trump - O'Sullivan semi. Now I've got to put up with some enormously fat bloke and a Jock.

its like snookerfan v witz all over again

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:He didn't hold himself together on the respotted black he fluked it but he held himself together well to force the respotted black.

Yeah. I just saw that on Eurosport. They played it before Robbo and Ding. rofl

Shame for Ronnie to lose like that, even though I did want Mags to win.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Disappointing morning. Was hoping for a Trump - O'Sullivan semi. Now I've got to put up with some enormously fat bloke and a Jock.

its like snookerfan v witz all over again

At least I'll admit to being a fat bloke. rofl