Topic locked

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open W C and Last 32 Discussion!!!

Postby SnookerFan

boris_the_butcher wrote:without meaning to sound condescending, the significance of a Trump v White match would be lost on a chinese audience. It'd simply be Trump against an old man named after a colour.

To be fair, that's exactly what it is these days. Nobody should con themselves that Jimmy White is a contender. The fact is I had to say 'if'' he gets past the wildcard round. Even in the WC round there's a distinct possibility White won't win.

I just think it'd be good to see a young vs old match. It's a match with sentimental significance, if nothing else.

Postby jojo

if jimmy does get past the wild card round his match against trump will be a huge anti climax and even that is for those who think it will actually be competitive

judd wont be at his best he wont need to be yet will win by three or four frames

Postby Monique

Dave Hendon's preview is out here http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ijing.html

this excerpt
The tournament has long since outlived the need for wildcards but a World Snooker bod explained to me in Galway - rather trenchantly, although we'd both had a drink - that without a guaranteed amount of Chinese players the sponsors will not cough up the dough to underwrite these tournaments.
is quite revealing.
Just shows those who doubt it that ultimately it's all about money. It is for BH and WSA when schedules and formats are tampered with at the broadcasters request, it is when wildcards are imposed by sponsors … and God knows what else we don't know about. Snooker isn't tennis or football or Formula One. It isn't in a position to choose and we, fans, have to live with this reality.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Dave Hendon's preview is out here http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ijing.html

this excerpt
The tournament has long since outlived the need for wildcards but a World Snooker bod explained to me in Galway - rather trenchantly, although we'd both had a drink - that without a guaranteed amount of Chinese players the sponsors will not cough up the dough to underwrite these tournaments.
is quite revealing.
Just shows those who doubt it that ultimately it's all about money. It is for BH and WSA when schedules and formats are tampered with at the broadcasters request, it is when wildcards are imposed by sponsors … and God knows what else we don't know about. Snooker isn't tennis or football or Formula One. It isn't in a position to choose and we, fans, have to live with this reality.

it works both ways though monique snooker or the players are not in a possition to dictate their pay check they will have to work hard at it so that the sport gets stronger and eveyone benefits.

Postby Roland

Me (edit - in answer to the who cares about this event comment now edited!), it's the biggest event in China and is the one that should be upgraded in time to a 2 session tournament and moved away from the Worlds in the calendar. I love it, and as with all Chinese events the semi finals and final are on at such a time you can get up early, watch them and then do something with the rest of your day. Looking foward to next weekend.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:Dave Hendon's preview is out here http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ijing.html

this excerpt
is quite revealing.

it works both ways though monique snooker or the players are not in a possition to dictate their pay check they will have to work hard at it so that the sport gets stronger and eveyone benefits.

I never challenged that wild, however, for the zillions time, they, no more than you or me, can spend money they don't have and you can't develop the sport without them. So BH, when implementing his growth plan, should make sure he doesn't make it unsustainable for the players. That's all I ever said. I never wanted to go back to 6 events per season. I'm just of the opinion that growing too fast isn't helping anyone and in that light having 20 quality, better paid events would be better than 30 with some very poor ones and that some remote and expensive locations could wait for another couple of years.
Already now a lot of very good amateurs are not interested in turning pro because they know that they can't afford the cost of it. And don't come again about the necessity to make sacrifices. I'm sure they are all ready to make those sacrifices and work hard, but there are limits to the financial risks they can take or the amount of money they can borrow. It's just simple as that. It's no different for them than it is for all of us.

Postby Wildey

for the zillionth time World Snooker at the moment are not in a position to pay them more than sponsors give them either only time and effort from them will change that over time.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:China seems to have the ability to hold the snooker world to ransom at present.

The wildcard system is pointless but money dictates everything.

cant agree more thats why tournaments in Australia,Brazil and the continent is essential for snooker...

over the years different governing body's has concentrated on one market and china holds all the cards at the moment.

puting all your eggs in one basket is never healthy.

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of March

7.30am BST

Neil Robertson v Jamie Cope TV
Jimmy White v Omar Alkojah TV
Mark King v Zhy Yinghui
Michael Holt v Li Hang

12.30pm BST

Martin Gould v Stephen Hendry TV
Peter Ebdon v Lu Haotian TV
Ben Woollaston v Chen Feilong
Jamie Jones v Lu Ning

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of March

7.30am BST

Neil Robertson v Jamie Cope TV
Jimmy White v Omar Alkojah TV
Mark King v Zhy Yinghui
Michael Holt v Li Hang

12.30pm BST

Martin Gould v Stephen Hendry TV
Peter Ebdon v Lu Haotian TV
Ben Woollaston v Chen Feilong
Jamie Jones v Lu Ning

Last 32 Matches in Blue

Postby Wildey

boris_the_butcher wrote:If Ronnie doesn't intend to play you'd hope he'd have the decency to pull out with notice so other arrangements can be made. They should fine him if he pulls out after the tournament has started.

what other arangements ?

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:If Ronnie doesn't intend to play you'd hope he'd have the decency to pull out with notice so other arrangements can be made. They should fine him if he pulls out after the tournament has started.

what other arangements ?

Put a different match on the TV table.

Postby Skullman

Good thing that there are some last 32 matches on tomorrow, and two of the better ones as well. Shame we miss the most important session of the tournament though. Will be away for that as well and won't be able to record it. :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:

what other arangements ?

Put a different match on the TV table.

that would happen anyway theres 4 matches per session.

these 2 matches are not on a TV Table that session

Matthew Stevens v Peter Ebdon/Lu Haotian
Ali Carter v Dominic Dale

simple decition to move one.

Postby Skullman

If Ronnie pulls out, it won't be as bad it was in the PTC Final (although that doesn't make it better for Ronnie to pull out of the tournament). The spectators will at least have three other matches to see (or two if Carter withdraws and he's in the same session).

Postby boris_the_butcher

couldn't they put the highest ranked wild card round player into Ronnie's place and that person play Campbell in the first round proper? The other wild card player then gets a place in R1 in his designated spot (WC2, WC5...). otherwise it's not really fair for someone to get a direct entry into R2.