Use China Open as cut off Point for World Seedings
47%
OK as it is.
40%

Total votes : 15

Re: China Open (how Big a event is it)

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:You dozy repugnant twonk Simplefan.
Its gonna be for 6 ranking events at least next year. You still bowing down for early morning snooker?

No, I agree with you that we don't want all tournaments to go to China. Your points about the World Open were pretty spot on. The venue was rubbish and there was no crowds. We certainly don't want to overkill China, especially when there are other countries for which it is popular.

Hence my two or three tournaments a year remark.

but witz is cash orientated anyway so he wants everything going to china thats where the cash injection for snooker is like it or not.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:but witz is cash orientated anyway so he wants everything going to china thats where the cash injection for snooker is like it or not.

Is China the only source of money though? I can see another tournament in Germany working, for example.

We risk overkill. The crowds at the World Open weren't great, you must admit.

Postby Witz78

Considering all it takes to fund the prize money for a ranker is 200-300k, then i find it hard to believe we cant get a few more UK events on the go. Look at it this way, Germany has no pros yet hosts 1 more event than Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and Eire combined which is farcial given the number of pros these 4 countries provide and their snooker heritage.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:but witz is cash orientated anyway so he wants everything going to china thats where the cash injection for snooker is like it or not.

Is China the only source of money though? I can see another tournament in Germany working, for example.

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Germany £40,000 China £75,000 +

Postby Witz78

The larger winners prize in China is usually a facade to distract that the overall prize fund for Chinese events is poor though and you really need to have a good run to make any money given the expenses involved getting to China. Judd was moaning that he lost money despite making the last 16 at the World Open which is totally wrong.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:The larger winners prize in China is usually a facade to distract that the overall prize fund for Chinese events is poor though and you really need to have a good run to make any money given the expenses involved getting to China. Judd was moaning that he lost money despite making the last 16 at the World Open which is totally wrong.

Its not wrong its just how snooker is at the moment thanks to endless sausage heads and pin ends and players running the sport in to the Ground.

its getting better £10,000 increase for the winner of china compared to last year it will just take time.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Wait a minute. :chin:

Give me a minute. I can get this.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Wait a minute. :chin:

Give me a minute. I can get this.

thats the problem mate yes the intrest in germany is massive but sponsors in china has shorter pockets.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:thats the problem mate yes the intrest in germany is massive but sponsors in china has shorter pockets.

Surely you mean longer pockets?

NO SHORTER

easier to get to the money.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:thats the problem mate yes the intrest in germany is massive but sponsors in china has shorter pockets.

Surely you mean longer pockets?

NO SHORTER

easier to get to the money.

Ah I see. I was thinking longer pockets were like deeper pockets. Ie. It had more money in it.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:Why not make the International Open the fourth major then? Make it a best of 11's tournament, with a best of 17 semi and best 19 final. Plus it would spread the majors out a bit and it focus some of the players who think that season doesn't start until the Champs.

I wouldn't have anything against this format, but I'm not quite sure it's as easy just to make a tournament a major. The people watching have got to accept it as a major. (And not just the sort of people who post on snooker forums, but all fans from the most casual to the most hardcore.) For that to succeed the channel's broadcasting it have to see it as a major, as do the sponsors putting money into it. And all that's pointless if the sports sections in papers or sports channels ignore the tournament. I think it'd help to have to the tournament run for a few years, provide us with many classic matches and have the players seemingly super-up for it before it got real status as a major.

That's what I meant. Hype it up, make it longer, give it more ranking points, improve the atmosphere. Make the fans and players consider it the biggest Chinese tournament. When I said make it a major, I didn't mean just call it one.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:The larger winners prize in China is usually a facade to distract that the overall prize fund for Chinese events is poor though and you really need to have a good run to make any money given the expenses involved getting to China. Judd was moaning that he lost money despite making the last 16 at the World Open which is totally wrong.

Didn't Judd also pay for his 'friend' :limp: to go with him though? Plus I don't recall any of the other last 16 losers or even any of the last 32 losers complaining about the money.

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:

Didn't Judd also pay for his 'friend' :limp: to go with him though? Plus I don't recall any of the other last 16 losers or even any of the last 32 losers complaining about the money.

ah yeh so he did

so much for him being an International Play with Boys :limp:

then he goes and takes one :ymca: from the UK with him <doh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

Its not wrong its just how snooker is at the moment thanks to endless sausage heads and pin ends and players running the sport in to the Ground.

its getting better £10,000 increase for the winner of china compared to last year it will just take time.

NOT STRICTLY TRUE IM AFRAID :no:

2011 China Open - Total prize fund £325,000 Winner £60,000
2012 China Open - Total prize fund £400,000 Winner £75,000

2010 Shanghai Masters - Total prize fund £325,000 Winner £60,000
2011 Shanghai Masters - Total prize fund £350,000 Winner £65,000

2010 World Open - Total prize fund £502,500 Winner £100,000
2012 World Open - Total prize fund £400,500 Winner £75,000

2010/11 PRIZE FUND AVERAGE £384,167 WINNER AVERAGE £73,333
2011/12 PRIZE FUND AVERAGE £383,500 WINNER AVERAGE £71,667

Postby Wildey

2011 China Open - Total prize fund £325,000 Winner £60,000

its getting better

2010 World Open was not played in china it was played in some pathetic part of Britain where all the riff raf lives <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:2011 China Open - Total prize fund £325,000 Winner £60,000

its getting better

2010 World Open was not played in china it was played in some pathetic part of Britain where all the riff raf lives <ok>

im not a native of Glasgow but Higgins is so i cant argue with you on that <ok>

point is though, prize money went down £100k for World Open plus players now had expensive travel too, so its a double hit for them <doh>

Postby mtarsky147

I think that the China Open (and the other tournaments in Asia) need to be condensed down, with 2 months of the season being solely in Asia. Like for instance F1 do, when they stay in a similar area of the globe for part of the season.

To get to China and back costs a couple of grand, the prize money does not out weigh it (Judd Trump commented on Twitter saying he made a loss from travelling to the World Open), whilst the big players can deal with this financial burden comfortably, those down the rankings cannot. Sam Baird qualified for the World Open, travelled all that way for all that expense to be beat in a wildcard. Spending 2/3 months in one go in Asia makes it logistically easier for all the pros.

As for the China Open in its current format, they should do the seeding cut off for the Crucible afterwards, the top 16, 32, 48, 64 and 72 should be bang up to date. Even a month out isn't quite representative.

Postby Wildey

mtarsky147 wrote:I think that the China Open (and the other tournaments in Asia) need to be condensed down, with 2 months of the season being solely in Asia. Like for instance F1 do, when they stay in a similar area of the globe for part of the season.

To get to China and back costs a couple of grand, the prize money does not out weigh it (Judd Trump commented on Twitter saying he made a loss from travelling to the World Open), whilst the big players can deal with this financial burden comfortably, those down the rankings cannot. Sam Baird qualified for the World Open, travelled all that way for all that expense to be beat in a wildcard. Spending 2/3 months in one go in Asia makes it logistically easier for all the pros.

As for the China Open in its current format, they should do the seeding cut off for the Crucible afterwards, the top 16, 32, 48, 64 and 72 should be bang up to date. Even a month out isn't quite representative.

Totally Agree

But then you will have players complaining of Not seeing their Family for a long time like Carter at the Aussie Open on the Back of Wuxi and the World Cup Back to Back.

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
mtarsky147 wrote:I think that the China Open (and the other tournaments in Asia) need to be condensed down, with 2 months of the season being solely in Asia. Like for instance F1 do, when they stay in a similar area of the globe for part of the season.

Totally Agree

But then you will have players complaining of Not seeing their Family for a long time like Carter at the Aussie Open on the Back of Wuxi and the World Cup Back to Back.

If it's such a big problem they can take their family with them. Earn money while taking their family on holiday.

Postby Alpha

There is an easy way to( a. make the players take the China Open as seriously as it deserves and (b. give the Welsh Open some prestige. Swap the two around in the calendar. No risk of players not giving it a go in the first round or players who reach the latter stages coming to the Crucible jet-lagged. And if we used Wild's {?} idea of leaving the seedings for the Crucible until the last ranker, wouldn't it be better for both events? :shrug: