Topic locked

Re: China Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!

Postby Witz78

JIMO96 wrote:The "young bottlers" may still lose to the "journeymen deadwoods" in a flat 128 system, but the whole point of the un-tiering is to give everyone the same pressures and the same route to qualifying....the current system is manifestly unfair......and it definitely contributes to the glut of "journeymen deadwoods" beating young bottlers" , but it's not the biggest factor.

For me, the McCullochs, Harolds, Dunns, McLeods....etc etc (there are so many of them) tend to win these matches because they know how "not to lose". A grinding mentality, if you like. Hamilton bored Brecel to submission yesterday at 0-3, then once he'd broken him, turned on the positive play with some heavy scoring.

Until snooker acts to encourage positive shot selection from its players, this frustrating trend will continue evermore. And people like me, Witz etc will get more and more frustrated by it. Whats more, the Brecels, Bairds, Craigies etc will in 20 years time be just as negative, and constantly outwit the newcomers in a similar manner.

It's no wonder the sponsors and broadcasters demand that the top 16 be present at their events....it's cos they think that from 17 downwards it's all deadwood and bottlers, cos their knowledge begins and ends with the top 16, plus Davis White & Hendry. The young talent in this game is being stifled by the fact that negativity is rewarded (unique for snooker, as someone pointed out).

The game needs a rule change. Something to end the slow play, the negative shots, the tedious repositioning of balls after a miss. Shot clock snooker isn't the answer, and I'm not sure I know what is. The fact is that snooker is unique for something else.....young talent is rarely seen, nor is it given a fair chance. It gets strangled because the game is bursting at the seams with DEADWOOD JOURNEYMEN.

WELL SAID MATE <ok>

wonder if Wild will come ranting and raving at you <doh>

no teenagers in the top 64 is a joke <doh>

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:The "young bottlers" may still lose to the "journeymen deadwoods" in a flat 128 system, but the whole point of the un-tiering is to give everyone the same pressures and the same route to qualifying....the current system is manifestly unfair......and it definitely contributes to the glut of "journeymen deadwoods" beating young bottlers" , but it's not the biggest factor.

For me, the McCullochs, Harolds, Dunns, McLeods....etc etc (there are so many of them) tend to win these matches because they know how "not to lose". A grinding mentality, if you like. Hamilton bored Brecel to submission yesterday at 0-3, then once he'd broken him, turned on the positive play with some heavy scoring.

Until snooker acts to encourage positive shot selection from its players, this frustrating trend will continue evermore. And people like me, Witz etc will get more and more frustrated by it. Whats more, the Brecels, Bairds, Craigies etc will in 20 years time be just as negative, and constantly outwit the newcomers in a similar manner.

It's no wonder the sponsors and broadcasters demand that the top 16 be present at their events....it's cos they think that from 17 downwards it's all deadwood and bottlers, cos their knowledge begins and ends with the top 16, plus Davis White & Hendry. The young talent in this game is being stifled by the fact that negativity is rewarded (unique for snooker, as someone pointed out).

The game needs a rule change. Something to end the slow play, the negative shots, the tedious repositioning of balls after a miss. Shot clock snooker isn't the answer, and I'm not sure I know what is. The fact is that snooker is unique for something else.....young talent is rarely seen, nor is it given a fair chance. It gets strangled because the game is bursting at the seams with DEADWOOD JOURNEYMEN.

WELL SAID MATE <ok>

wonder if Wild will come ranting and raving at you <doh>

no teenagers in the top 64 is a joke <doh>

Why blame the journeymen though? Do you want them to just give up and let the teenagers win without earning it. The reason there aren't any teenagers in the top64 is because they aren't good enough or consistent enough.

Postby JIMO96

Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:OK Dale was a bad example.....2 ranking titles (deserved ones too), but very little else masked my opinion there. Substitute with "Holt" or "O'Brien" in that case, I'll never be short of examples.

Snooker needs a shot in the arm, and I believe Barry Hearn will force it to happen, and if it takes a rule change that will upset all the snooker purists, he won't shirk from it.

It's perfectly possible for these young upcoming players to come through and it will be easier once the flat draws are implemented. What would you do to prevent negative play anyway?

Skullman....it would take a bigger collection of brains than mine to answer that, a study group maybe.

I'm thinking along the lines of scrapping the miss rule and introducing a new call of "miss".....this would happen once a player fails to hit a cushion (as in shootout rules).....bear with me please lol.

A player wouldn't be penalised for a single miss (unless accompanied with a foul), but they'd be accumulated, and once a player has had 3 (or 5, or any figure) against his name, then his opponent gets ball in hand.

As we have seen from the Shootout, ball in hand doesn't always mean loss of frame (I'm sure Hearn will have noted this).

So basically, under my new rule, a shot is only legal if a player either pots a legal ball, or makes something hit a cushion after contact. This means, no more rolling up behind a ball directly, no more dead weight snooker escapes, no more tip-tap into the reds and no more waiting on refs to reposition balls.

I'd also allow deliberate misses for tactical reasons and completely remove this grey area of whether a player has made a fair attempt at escaping from a snooker....because he'd have to not only hit the ball "on", but hit a cushion afterwards or have one "miss" against his name.

Like I say, I don't have all the answers and I'm sure some people will pick my proposal to shreds by the end of tonight, but I believe strongly that something needs doing to make the game more watchable to attract more fans. If the journeymen use these rules to continually stifle the new boys, at least it'll be more entertaining.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:im not blaming the journeymen

im blaming the system

And what would changing that achieve? The journeymen won't go away. The young players will have to face them eventually in a flat draw, and will have to beat them to become top players.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:im not blaming the journeymen

im blaming the system

And what would changing that achieve? The journeymen won't go away. The young players will have to face them eventually in a flat draw, and will have to beat them to become top players.

:spot on: :spot on: :spot on:

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:
Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:OK Dale was a bad example.....2 ranking titles (deserved ones too), but very little else masked my opinion there. Substitute with "Holt" or "O'Brien" in that case, I'll never be short of examples.

Snooker needs a shot in the arm, and I believe Barry Hearn will force it to happen, and if it takes a rule change that will upset all the snooker purists, he won't shirk from it.

It's perfectly possible for these young upcoming players to come through and it will be easier once the flat draws are implemented. What would you do to prevent negative play anyway?

Skullman....it would take a bigger collection of brains than mine to answer that, a study group maybe.

I'm thinking along the lines of scrapping the miss rule and introducing a new call of "miss".....this would happen once a player fails to hit a cushion (as in shootout rules).....bear with me please lol.

A player wouldn't be penalised for a single miss (unless accompanied with a foul), but they'd be accumulated, and once a player has had 3 (or 5, or any figure) against his name, then his opponent gets ball in hand.

As we have seen from the Shootout, ball in hand doesn't always mean loss of frame (I'm sure Hearn will have noted this).

So basically, under my new rule, a shot is only legal if a player either pots a legal ball, or makes something hit a cushion after contact. This means, no more rolling up behind a ball directly, no more dead weight snooker escapes, no more tip-tap into the reds and no more waiting on refs to reposition balls.

I'd also allow deliberate misses for tactical reasons and completely remove this grey area of whether a player has made a fair attempt at escaping from a snooker....because he'd have to not only hit the ball "on", but hit a cushion afterwards or have one "miss" against his name.

Like I say, I don't have all the answers and I'm sure some people will pick my proposal to shreds by the end of tonight, but I believe strongly that something needs doing to make the game more watchable to attract more fans. If the journeymen use these rules to continually stifle the new boys, at least it'll be more entertaining.

The Shootout and PL proved that ball in hand and hitting a cushion first are stupid rules. Plus they didn't stop the journeymen advancing at all. There is also the fact that these rules will do nothing to stop young players bottling it, which is another factor in why the journeymen usually win. Stopping an entire style play to let young players through is a bad idea.

Postby JIMO96

Like I say, my idea my idea is far from perfect, and you don't have to agree. But I wasn't going to leave your question unanswered, and I think my implementations would, if nothing else put an end to long tedious affairs, and that's a good start.

Skullman can you prove how exactly the Shootout and PL demonstrated these rules to be "stupid"?

Postby Skullman

JIMO96 wrote:Like I say, my idea my idea is far from perfect, and you don't have to agree. But I wasn't going to leave your question unanswered, and I think my implementations would, if nothing else put an end to long tedious affairs, and that's a good start.

Skullman can you prove how exactly the Shootout and PL demonstrated these rules to be "stupid"?

Okay maybe stupid is the wrong word, but those rules definitely didn't work for me. Also those rules didn't really help stop the journeymen advancing in the Shootout, did they?

Postby JIMO96

Skullman wrote:
JIMO96 wrote:Like I say, my idea my idea is far from perfect, and you don't have to agree. But I wasn't going to leave your question unanswered, and I think my implementations would, if nothing else put an end to long tedious affairs, and that's a good start.

Okay maybe stupid is the wrong word, but those rules definitely didn't work for me. Also those rules didn't really help stop the journeymen advancing in the Shootout, did they?

So nothing was proved to be "stupid" or otherwise? Your own opinion isn't enough to back up such a strong statement Skully!

And good on the journeymen for advancing.....the point is, it didn't take 50 minute frames or strangling the will to live out of a naive youngster to get there.........THAT is what frustrates my enjoyment of the game.

Postby GJ

Every sport has older players in the mid ranks like tennis and golf

Its the same with snooker

Witz give it a rest and stop being ageist

Postby GJ

Robbo could face gould in china open round 2

Robbo will face one of tonights winners in round 1

Postby Wildey

Until snooker acts to encourage positive shot selection from its players, this frustrating trend will continue evermore. And people like me, Witz etc will get more and more frustrated by it.

buck off and watch some other bucking sport.

im sick to bucking death of people wanting to change snooker.

JUST buck THE HELL BASTARD OFF

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:Every sport has older players in the mid ranks like tennis and golf

im not being ageist

yous lot are

i want to see equality for all ages instead of bias towards the senior citizens <ok>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Until snooker acts to encourage positive shot selection from its players, this frustrating trend will continue evermore. And people like me, Witz etc will get more and more frustrated by it.

what banker posted that crap comment you just quoted mate :? :grrr:

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:

YESSSSSSS!!!

I got my first expletive laden response from Wild! This truly is a historic moment, I have most certainly arrived!

Cheers Wild, you are a legend!

Postby GJ

Basically translated

Until snooker bows down to thick people with short attention span's the following trend of intelligent and varied snooker will continue for a long time.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

JIMO96

its getting redicilous now and im sick to death of it....

snooker is snooker lets keep it what it is people have got some ideas in their head to change it with some bullocks crappy bucking shot clock bullocks bucking HELL im sick to bucking death of that bastard bucking crap.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:

im not being ageist

yous lot are

i want to see equality for all ages instead of bias towards the senior citizens <ok>

We aren't being ageist either. We're just pointing out that the journeymen deserve to be where they are in the game and the young players have to beat them to change it.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

im not being ageist

yous lot are

We aren't being ageist either. We're just pointing out that the journeymen deserve to be where they are in the game and the young players have to beat them to change it.

spot on and nothing apart from good play will change that <ok>

Dave Harold was a Shootout semi finalist for buck sakes <laugh> <laugh>

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

im not being ageist

yous lot are

skull :-D

Its up to the young players to step up and win consistently to rise up the rankings

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

JIMO96

snooker is snooker lets keep it what it is people have got some ideas in their head to change it with some bullocks crappy bucking shot clock bullocks bucking HELL im sick to bucking death of that bastard bucking crap.

Firstly JIMO96 specifically said he didn't want shotclocks. Plus swearing at people isn't going to make them change their mind.

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:
Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

JIMO96

Firstly JIMO96 specifically said he didn't want shotclocks. Plus swearing at people isn't going to make them change their mind.

" Saint" jim said i should be shot the other day on twitter for disagreeing with his money list article

:john:

Postby Skullman

Jamie Jones 3-1 Marco Fu.
Li Yan 2-0 Fergal O'Brien.

Young players are winning and the system didn't have to be changed for it to happen.

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

JIMO96

I know you're passionate about the game you love, and so am I Wild. But I hate the stagnation in it, and it's worrying for me that broadcasters are turning their noses up at snooker, and those that don't (like Eurosport) treat their audiences like halfwits. It needs change. Soon.....all the "little kittens" in the world won't change my opinion, nor yours I'd imagine.

Postby Skullman

[quote="GJ]
" Saint" jim said i should be shot the other day on twitter for disagreeing with his money list article

:john:[/quote]

That comment wasn't just aimed at Wild, it's just he's the one who does it most often. Things like that are weak and show you have no real arguments left.
Last edited by Skullman on 24 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

All sports need variation

Snooker has fast player and slower players

same with tennis , golf

Having only fast players would be dull

FACT