Topic locked

Re: 888真人 Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

DavieMac wrote:So Ronnie's inability to pot anything over 5ft was cause of Selby's run of the ball?

No wonder the baby kangaroo was bankrupt with that logic.

I said it before and I say it again. He potted plenty of thin long balls but he missed nearly all the straight long pots.

But I admit: Selby's long game was better than Ronnie's today.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 18 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DavieMac

Skullman wrote:
DavieMac wrote:So Ronnie's inability to pot anything over 5ft was cause of Selby's run of the ball?

No wonder the runt was bankrupt with that logic.

Willie not your favourite then? :john:

How did you guess?

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
DavieMac wrote:Run of the ball my bottom. Better player on the night won.

I dont find Selby boring but then again im not a Ronnie fan. He's a great break builder.

Willie Thorne said himself that Selby had a massive run of the balls today. Selby missed plenty and mishit safeties but he got away with it far more often than Ronnie.

You act as if Willie is the paragon of impartiality (is that even a word?). He probably had a bet on. Anyway, I don't think it mattered. Ronnie's head completely went after the interval, even if the run was even he would've messed up somewhere.

His head didn't went. He played good controlled safeties up to the very end.

To the run of the ball issue: Mark 4-2 up, cuts the red in the corner and leaves it there but somehow Ronnie ends up being snookered on that red. This was 1 example and there were plenty of similar situations.

Ronnie's safety was frankly poor for most of the match. It looked like he couldn't give a rubbish for most of the match.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I dont find Selby boring but then again im not a Ronnie fan. He's a great break builder.

Willie Thorne said himself that Selby had a massive run of the balls today. Selby missed plenty and mishit safeties but he got away with it far more often than Ronnie.

You act as if Willie is the paragon of impartiality (is that even a word?). He probably had a bet on. Anyway, I don't think it mattered. Ronnie's head completely went after the interval, even if the run was even he would've messed up somewhere.

To the run of the ball issue: Mark 4-2 up, cuts the red in the corner and leaves it there but somehow Ronnie ends up being snookered on that red. This was 1 example and there were plenty of similar situations.

Ronnie's safety was frankly poor for most of the match. It looked like he couldn't give a donkey doo for most of the match.

I don't agree AT ALL. If you want to watch a Ronnie where he doesn't give a donkey doo then watch the 2010 UK opening match against Bingham.

Postby DavieMac

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ronnie's safety was frankly poor for most of the match. It looked like he couldn't give a rubbish for most of the match.

Glad I was watching the same match as you. Thought I was watching a diffirent match for a second.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I'm satisfied with Ronnie's performance and progress this week. It was a massive step forward. Up to the semi final he played consistent and was deadly in the balls. His temperament still is very solid.

After Berlin everything this week is a bonus and the biggest bonus was the win over Trump. That match will give him confidence playing him next time.

Ronnie got to the desired 14th place although I would have loved Murphy instead of Robbo in that quarter but Hendry ruined that.

It was a good week for Ronnie.

Postby DavieMac

I'm glad to see Mags back to the level he's capable of too. Been a tough few years supporting him. Shouldn't be too hard on himself, Selby was flawless on Friday.

As for the final, 'mon Selby.

Postby Witz78

i cant sit back and listen to the good name of my personal friend Willie being dragged through the mud here.

the guy knows exactly what hes talking about and i agree totally with his summary of the match.

Postby Monique

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

That's absolutely not true. Ronnie tried throughout. He just wasn't good enough tonight. Even his usually deadly cue ball control let him down. But he never looked disinterested, didn't take rash shots, kept battling. Selby did what he had to do, pounced and made sure that Ronnie was kept out of his comfort zone and got no opportunity to settle. He deserved the win entirely even if himself was far from his best as well. But saying that Ronnie couldn't give a rubbish is just untrue and is actually devaluating Selby's victory.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:i cant sit back and listen to the good name of my personal friend Willie being dragged through the mud here.

the guy knows exactly what hes talking about and i agree totally with his summary of the match.

Y0u also watched it on the BBC right? All his comments were spot on.

Postby Skullman

DavieMac wrote:I'm glad to see Mags back to the level he's capable of too. Been a tough few years supporting him. Shouldn't be too hard on himself, Selby was flawless on Friday.

I'm liking you more and more with every post. As for Mags, I'm sure he's not done for the season yet. If he can get past Ding in Haikou, has a decent chance of making the semis.

Postby DavieMac

Witz78 wrote:i cant sit back and listen to the good name of my personal friend Willie being dragged through the mud here.

:love:

Postby Skullman

Monique, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I personally felt Ronnie looked like he was being tortured. I truly felt sorry for him, but professional sport is cutthroat, and Selby, for all his humorous antics as the Jester from Leicester, knows it.

Postby DavieMac

Skullman wrote:
DavieMac wrote:I'm glad to see Mags back to the level he's capable of too. Been a tough few years supporting him. Shouldn't be too hard on himself, Selby was flawless on Friday.

I'm liking you more and more with every post. As for Mags, I'm sure he's not done for the season yet. If he can get past Ding in Haikou, has a decent chance of making the semis.

I'll be happy enough to see him at the biz end of Tourns from now on. He keeps playing like this and another title surely wont be far away. He's just as capable of going the other way though so who knows.

Postby Witz78

Ronnie tried his best to hang in there and not lose the plot, but the last 2 or 3 frames after he blew the 5th, he seemed to lose belief and appeared to be going thought the motions resigned to his fate and not giving shots his full concentration like he had for the most part in the 1st mini session.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:Ronnie tried his best to hang in there and not lose the plot, but the last 2 or 3 frames after he blew the 5th, he seemed to lose belief and appeared to be going thought the motions resigned to his fate and not giving shots his full concentration like he had for the most part in the 1st mini session.

That's what I was trying to say, although Witz's version is more tactful.

Postby DavieMac

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ronnie tried his best to hang in there and not lose the plot, but the last 2 or 3 frames after he blew the 5th, he seemed to lose belief and appeared to be going thought the motions resigned to his fate and not giving shots his full concentration like he had for the most part in the 1st mini session.

Witz and tactful?

A mis-match if ever there was.

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:

yeh if your looking for moderate sensible respectful views, im your man <ok>

Postby jojo

this match doesnt change things much in the grand scheme of things i still feel ronnie will win the world championship this year

i did say after ronnie beat trump selby was the only player who could stop him and so he did

yes ronnie had an off day and all players have them and it better to have that now than in a session in the world championship against selby

ronnie still leads their head to head 9-6 so i wouldnt say selby owns him but it clear selby is one of the players ronnie doesnt like to play against today the difference was selbys safety play as well as run of the ball he even admitted that himself

of course selby winning 6-2 was never going to be pretty as opposed to ronnie winning 6-2 but thats snooker that why it a great game

im not sure why ronnie kept looking at his tip and dont know if anyone noticed but he was having trouble playing shots when putting on right hand side but i expect him to fix that

credit to selby it wasnt pretty but thats normal the way he play he had a game plan and stuck to it and it worked

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:this match doesnt change things much in the grand scheme of things i still feel ronnie will win the world championship this year

i did say after ronnie beat trump selby was the only player who could stop him and so he did

yes ronnie had an off day and all players have them and it better to have that now than in a session in the world championship against selby

ronnie still leads their head to head 9-6 so i wouldnt say selby owns him but it clear selby is one of the players ronnie doesnt like to play against today the difference was selbys safety play as well as run of the ball he even admitted that himself

of course selby winning 6-2 was never going to be pretty as opposed to ronnie winning 6-2 but thats snooker that why it a great game

im not sure why ronnie kept looking at his tip and dont know if anyone noticed but he was having trouble playing shots when putting on right hand side but i expect him to fix that

credit to selby it wasnt pretty but thats normal the way he play he had a game plan and stuck to it and it worked

For the Ronnie fans it is better this happened now instead of at the China Open. He has time to recover from this setback and has a relatively easy early draw against Ford the venue bottler and Mark Williams.
Last edited by Skullman on 19 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Monique

Skullman wrote:Monique, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I personally felt Ronnie looked like he was being tortured. I truly felt sorry for him, but professional sport is cutthroat, and Selby, for all his humorous antics as the Jester from Leicester, knows it.

Looking tortured isn't the same as looking disinterested and not trying. Yes he looked tortured. He hates it when he can't put on a good performance, and a pretty one, he's setting very high standards for himself and gets annoyed with himself when he doesn't perform to them. Tonight he looked tortured, yes, probably hated every minute of it, yes, but he tried and kept battling. We all have seen him when he doesn't try… and this wasn't it. Definitely.

Postby Skullman

Monique wrote:
Skullman wrote:Monique, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I personally felt Ronnie looked like he was being tortured. I truly felt sorry for him, but professional sport is cutthroat, and Selby, for all his humorous antics as the Jester from Leicester, knows it.

Looking tortured isn't the same as looking disinterested and not trying. Yes he looked tortured. He hates it when he can't put on a good performance, and a pretty one, he's setting very high standards for himself and gets annoyed with himself when he doesn't perform to them. Tonight he looked tortured, yes, probably hated every minute of it, yes, but he tried and kept battling. We all have seen him when he doesn't try… and this wasn't it. Definitely.

Fair enough. And for the record I haven't seen him when he's not trying. I'm still fairly new to snooker.