Topic locked

888真人 Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Wildey

Monday 13th - Sunday 19th of February at the Newport Centre,Newport

Ronnie O'Sullivan on his Quest for Top 16 Stability has Risen to the Ocation with a Second succesive Ranking Event Semi Final following his German Masters win and plays his Arch Rivel Mark Selby in The semi final.

The Other Semi Final brings together World no 6 Shaun Murphy and World no 10 Ding Junhui.

Who will contest the Welsh Open Final ?

and can Ronnie be the first player since hmm Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2002/2003 season to win Back to Back Ranking Titles ?

DRAW

FORMAT OF PLAY

Image Image BBC SNOOKERImage

Re: 888真人 Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
and can Ronnie be the first player since hmm Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2002/2003 season to win Back to Back Ranking Titles ?

The last player to do that was Ronnie O'Sullivan but he did it most recently in 2008. He won the World title then the Northern Ireland Trophy and also contested the final in Shanghai.

Postby hendry_fan

The last 4.

DING JUNHUI v SHAUN MURPHY

I did,nt think Ding would get this far in this tourney as he,s been way off his best,god knows how he,s managed it,mind you if That guys phone had,nt of gone off while Lee was on his backswing takin on the green,Ding might not have been in the semi-finals. in the first place.<doh>

Murphy has certainly been the better player of the 2 this week and of late, so i,m going for Murphy in this on.

RONNIE O'SULLIVAN v MARK SELBY

Well,Ronnies up against his favourite player/opponent Selby. <laugh>

I had to laugh at Ronnies Interview on world snooker,when he said,"Ach,i don,t wanna play Selby,i really don,t,....."

Aye,i bet you don,t Ronnie,you would have had more or less a bye if you were up against Maguire today. <laugh>

I have to laugh when some ramble on bout Selbys game,especially when he plays Ronnie,Selby can play how he wants,it,s not about pleasing Ronnie or bout pleasing others,what does Ronnie expect Selby to do,to go for every long pot,go for silly,difficult pots,be agressive the whole match instead of playin a good safety which could get Ronnie into trouble,change his game just to please Ronnie,sorry Ronnie,it isn,t a pub get together tourney,it,s proffesional matchplay snooker!!!!.

Anyone who follows snooker a lot knows full well that Selby can breakbuild,but if he does,nt feel comfortable with his form,then he,ll start to play more safety.
I agree that when Selby resorts to his more tactical,defensive strategies,it can be dull to watch,(unless your one of those who does,nt mind watchin the safety side of the game) but as i,ve often said,snooker is not just about breakbuilding or about potting balls.

As far as this match is concerned,i think Ronnie will win this encounter as he really is on a high,flowin with confidence whereas Selby is struggling to find the form he showed which got him to become the nr.1 in the world,although he could upper his game today as he,s one of the few who can cope with Ronnie.

Postby Skullman

Caught up with quarters. Shame the Ding Lee match ended on such a low note.

Anyway, the semis

Ding vs Murphy: Ding not at his best, while Shaun looks to be good in form with his second ranking semi in a row as well as a Masters final. Although Ding could and should have gone out yesterday and that scare might get him to up his game. Still expect Shaun to win though.

O'Sullivan vs Selby: Ronnie looks to be in great form and will be feeling confident after beating Judd. However, Selby seems to refinding his form and is one of the few members of the top16 Ronnie has to beat himself. Also, most people were writing him off against Maguire, and some even thought he wouldn't get past Gould. Selby's has upped his game every round this tournament, why not against Ronnie? Selby to win for me.

Whoever wins this match, will probably end up winning the whole tournament. Ronnie should be able to beat Ding easily and I think he'll just edge past Shaun.

Selby might have lost to Shaun twice this season, but that was when he was playing crap and don't forget he managed to beat him in Shanghai. Selby vs Ding would be a cacker, but again I think Selby will just edge it.

Postby Skullman

Just saw the press conference quote from Ronnie <laugh>

Have a feeling that this new focused, calm attitude of Ronnie's will fall apart against Selby. You'd think that after being a pro for twenty years, he'd be able to handle some short safety exchanges.

Maybe his 'glandular fever' will act up again.

Selby Welsh Open Champion 2012 :ahh:
Last edited by Skullman on 18 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby hendry_fan

Skullman wrote:Just saw the press conference quote from Ronnie <laugh>

Have a feeling that this new focused, calm Ronnie attitude of will fall apart against Selby. You'd think that after being a pro for twenty years, he'd be able to handle some short safety exchanges.

"You'd think that after being a pro for twenty years, he'd be able to handle some short safety exchanges".

<laugh> Skullman,absolutely,not only Ronnie but many of the current crop would have throwed there toys out of there prams and stormed into a moodie if they were playin in the 80,s/90,s . :mood: :baby: <laugh>
They would,nt have been able to make as many centurys as they do now cause they would,nt have gotten as many chances,many frames they would have been tied up in knots.

A couple of players in my club throw there toys out of there pram if i play even 3,4 safties in a row.
They expect to have some sort of chance every time they come to the table. <doh>
I don,t give a monkeys,if they lack patience,then it,s they,re problem not mine!. :fart:
Last edited by hendry_fan on 18 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

The last player to do that was Ronnie O'Sullivan but he did it most recently in 2008. He won the World title then the Northern Ireland Trophy and also contested the final in Shanghai.

i was looking more in the same season but your right.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Just saw the press conference quote from Ronnie <laugh>

Have a feeling that this new focused, calm attitude of Ronnie's will fall apart against Selby. You'd think that after being a pro for twenty years, he'd be able to handle some short safety exchanges.

Selby Welsh Open Champion 2012 :ahh:

I do have that feeling too... if he loses his head he might start playing unecessary shots left handed, go for silly pots and missing them by miles... we all know what Ronnie can do when frustrated...let´s just hope he proves me wrong today... :gag:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Can't wait for Ronnie v Selby!

how do you see it going?

i either see Ronnie continuing in his confident mode and winning fairly easy

OR

Selby doing an Ebdon 2005 job on him

He showed against Maguire that he doesn't shy away from tough matchplay snooker. I can see him edge this match ...

Postby Roland

Ronnie could run away with it or it could be close, and if it goes close I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie gets sucked into playing mind games which he can't win.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Sonny do you have anything to say about yesterdays matches?

Selby's found his form again, that's the main thing from yesterday. Ronnie played Judd and Judd fell for it hook line and sinker, Lee was unlucky but was twitchy anyway and I think he blobbed the green but he fluked the red so possibly karma, and Murphy v Allen had a really entertaining last frame but I didn't see the rest.

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Can't wait for Ronnie v Selby!

how do you see it going?

i either see Ronnie continuing in his confident mode and winning fairly easy

OR

Selby doing an Ebdon 2005 job on him

Yes think so too... his calm temperament he has showed in this tourney and indeed the last may well fall apart against Selby if it goes too tactical...

He knows that comin in this match Selby can definately beat him, and get to his head, a bit like ebdon yes, and Ronnie has so many battle scars against him..... Masters 2010, Welsh open 2008,World Champs 2010... all from well in front.... he has had some great victories too... their record in majors is pretty even....
Last edited by Andre147 on 18 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ding is playing well (even though he miss the red a few seconds ago) and Murphy won't walk over him. It will be a close match.

Certainly