Topic locked

NEWPORT COUNCIL BIDS £50,000 IN TUG-OF-WAR FOR TOP .........

Postby Wildey

SNOOKER EVENT

http://www.walesandwest.com/news/wales/ ... EVENT.html

NEWPORT City Council are prepared to spend £50,000 over the next three years in a tug-of-war with Llanelli over the Welsh Open snooker championships.

The tournament, which brings global green baize stars to the city, has been in Newport for nearly two decades.

But Llanelli are putting in a bid to stage it next year - which marks the twentieth anniversary since Stephen Hendry played Darren Morgan in the first final.

A delegation from Llanelli, including Welsh rugby international Dafydd Jones, were at Newport Centre for this year's event, which was won by Scotland's John Higgins for a second successive time.

And it looked likely that the event would be staged in West Wales when World Snooker delegates went to Parc Y Scarlets - the Scarlets rugby region's stadium - to look over the facilities.

Re: NEWPORT COUNCIL BIDS £50,000 IN TUG-OF-WAR FOR TOP .....

Postby SnookerFan

Nice to know the city wants it. You can debate whether Newport is the right venue or not. But some host towns don't seem fussed. Like Wembley, where's it's just another show, or Telford that barely register that it's on.

When I went to Newport they had adverts up for the snooker all over the town. It does seem important to them.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Nice to know the city wants it. You can debate whether Newport is the right venue or not. But some host towns don't seem fussed. Like Wembley, where's it's just another show, or Telford that barely register that it's on.

When I went to Newport they had adverts up for the snooker all over the town. It does seem important to them.

yes theres been a hell of a lot of criticism of the welsh open but believe me the Welsh wants it on the calender .......in wales its being promoted pretty well and its laughable when people say its empty there ...yes some sessions isnt full but name me one that is.

ive been there 4 or 5 times over the years for semis and final and its been pretty full up.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I just noticed, the BBC website has this listed as being in the Newport Centre, but I can't see anywhere else online clarifying this. So it may just be that they don't realise there is somewhere else in the picture.

thats just about right with the beeb websites <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Acording to Snooker Scene the Welsh Open is staying in Newport for the Next 3 years with BBC Wales TV Host Brodcaster.

They had been looking at Llandudno on the north wales coast and Llanelli as possibility but its decided to stay in Newport with Newport Council investing £15,000 this season and next and £20,000 2014/2015.

and BBC Wales paying £100,000 per year for the Rights.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:Acording to Snooker Scene the Welsh Open is staying in Newport for the Next 3 years with BBC Wales TV Host Brodcaster.

They had been looking at Llandudno on the north wales coast and Llanelli as possibility but its decided to stay in Newport with Newport Council investing £15,000 this season and next and £20,000 2014/2015.

and BBC Wales paying £100,000 per year for the Rights.

Good man! I might have to visit the luxurious Welsh town again....

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:your not going to the UK even tho youve the week off but your considering hitting this joke event

suppose it prob suits you better hitting this tournament :D

its not a joke event that sort of coment only comes from ignarant morons thats never been to newport or the welsh open.

its a very well atended event yes they could do better but who couldnt.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Its a bit like snookers equivalent of a Last of the Summer Wine event compared to the likes of the Masters which is like X Factor though

im not overpretective because im welsh but newport having a raw deal ive been to both the CIA and Newport centre and newport is more fan friendly than cardiff.

and each time i went it was very well atended in newport during finals weekend.

Postby Bourne

I've been to Newport and it ain't that bad a venue, certainly big enough ... but it depends if you wana be like Snookerfan and watch the snooker, you're sorted, or be like Witz and go there for the snooker, not watch any snooker and get plastered, then you're screwed.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I've been to Newport and it ain't that bad a venue, certainly big enough ... but it depends if you wana be like Snookerfan and watch the snooker, you're sorted, or be like Witz and go there for the snooker, not watch any snooker and get plastered, then you're screwed.

yeh thats why i cant help but feel the Crucible is wasted on Snookerfan as he doesnt make the most 0f the whole experience.

bad news earlier, my long time partner in crime texted earlier to say hes going to have to miss the Crucible next year cos hes not allowed cos his missus had a sprog a few months back. Another one bites the dust <doh> To add insult to injury hes not even coming to the Shootout with me and a few of the lads <doh>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I've been to Newport and it ain't that bad a venue, certainly big enough ... but it depends if you wana be like Snookerfan and watch the snooker, you're sorted, or be like Witz and go there for the snooker, not watch any snooker and get plastered, then you're screwed.

yes inside the venue is actually ok and as good as any ive been too when you walk out is the problem.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

yes inside the venue is actually ok and as good as any ive been too when you walk out is the problem.

A very apt description. rofl

Postby Roland

I saw Run DMC and Public Enemy and Level 42 at the Newport Centre in the late 80s and it was a decent venue back then. I'll always remember queueing at the door and along the outside of the the big windowed corridor and seeing different band members walking down it and getting really excited. :redneck:

It'd be good to get it at Llanelli which is where Terry Griffiths hails from and has so much snooker history. In the interview transcription I spelt it as Llanethli and got a dressing down by Janie :D

But it's great to hear about rival bids to host snooker events. The promise by Newport to invest £50,000 over 3 years to keep it is pathetic! What the buck can you do with £50,000 in a venue over 3 years?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What the buck can you do with £50,000 in a venue over 3 years?

yeah

the welsh open is pretty well attended overall and the promotion of it is pretty good in wales TBH but Wales is a Small nation and newport is just a small part of Wales so the money is not here for council to spend.... £50,000 is a massive amount but in the grand scheme of things Pathetic.

Welsh Open needs to be Branded The British Open and Played in other Part of Britain on Rotation but then theres a Problem who will Host Brodcast it BBC Wales wont its obvious the BBC wont so that leaves ITV or Sky but they only interested in gimmicks even seniors had a shot clock on Sky.