Topic locked

Re: PartyPoker.net German Masters Final Discussion !!

Postby The Cueist

The Cueist wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Fist pumping. bad monkey

He is looking at pictures of miss Tabb in an edition of SnookerScene that has some rather stuck together pages. ;-) :limp: :limp: :wkr: :limp2: :limp2:

By the way,I am not or ever have been FRAME AND FORTUNE,Potquick the great and The Cueist are my two posting names.

I do have an acid but dry wit,But i have more honesty in me than to go on like that loony from 606 which i also never post on.

I seem to get a hint of this via the IMPORTANT mr Smart im very important i have a reciept for A LOAD OF SHARES AND YOU MUST ALL KNOW ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT IS A SNOOKER FORUM. :baby:

No my honsety prevails,Snooker lady,You are not funny. :pal:

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:fist pumping jizz? Was there any need for that?

I was trying to get the monkey up. Has that been taken down, or just editted to demonstrate that I'm not funny?

I know :pal:

Postby The Cueist

Sonny wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I was trying to get the monkey up. Has that been taken down, or just editted to demonstrate that I'm not funny?

I know :pal:

Very honest Sonny,But true. :hatoff:

Back to snooker ,What do you reckon on Ronnie being up to 13th in the world and what do you rate his chances in the welsh open? :-)

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:
He is looking at pictures of miss Tabb in an edition of SnookerScene that has some rather stuck together pages. ;-) :limp: :limp: :wkr: :limp2: :limp2:

By the way,I am not or ever have been FRAME AND FORTUNE,Potquick the great and The Cueist are my two posting names.

I do have an acid but dry wit,But i have more honesty in me than to go on like that loony from 606 which i also never post on.

I seem to get a hint of this via the IMPORTANT mr Smart im very important i have a reciept for A LOAD OF SHARES AND YOU MUST ALL KNOW ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT IS A SNOOKER FORUM. :baby:

:huh:

Postby The Cueist

Sonny wrote:If he plays like that he'll take some stopping.

Aye ,That he will.And if Maguire keeps playing like he is,He could be a contender for the worlds along with Ronnie.

Cedit where credit is due.Mags is class on his day.

And likeable as a person i might add.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

yes

Postby Wildey

The Advantage of Germany For Ronnie was so many matches in so little Time its the hanging around tweedling his thumbs where the Problems can Arise for Ronnie.

Postby The Cueist

Sonny wrote:I can't see Maguire being a contender for the Worlds until it switches venue. He's not a Crucible player, has too many demons.

Well that is true and maybe i didnt think that one through,But if he could turn that form on in there he would be made.

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:

The Advantage of Germany For Ronnie was so many matches in so little Time its the hanging around tweedling his thumbs where the Problems can Arise for Ronnie.

Yeah, especially if he's stuck in Wales between matches.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Wild wrote:

Yeah, especially if he's stuck in Wales between matches.

having said that the only Ranking event he has succesfully defended is the Welsh Open 2004/2005.

Postby Monique

And that's not true Wild he has also defended his China Open title in 1999/2000. Btw not many have defended any titles since the mid 90th. Higgins defended his Welsh Open last season and Neil won the World Open being the GP defending champ ... That's all I can think about and in Neil's case it was a totally different type of format.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:And that's not true Wild he has also defended his China Open title in 1999/2000. Btw not many have defended any titles since the mid 90th. Higgins defended his Welsh Open last season and Neil won the World Open being the GP defending champ ... That's all I can think about and in Neil's case it was a totally different type of format.

Paul Hunter defended the Masters.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Last night the 2012 German Masters came to a close. It goes without saying that I will remember this tournament very fondly.

The venue is superb. Although I would like the tournament to last a few more days, this tournament is pretty much perfect. Ronnie said it himself, the arena is like Wembley. This event has a bright future. I would even propose to host a second tournament in Germany, the crowds are craving for snooker there.

Stephen Maguire really surprised me this week. I always thought of him highly but he wasn't very convincing the last couple of seasons. Something was missing in his game. But this week he played well. Extremely well. This was the best Maguire I have seen since I watch snooker, even better than in the seasons he was world no. 2. I hope he can build on this week although the final must have been a body blow. Best of luck for the upcoming tournaments.

But now to the Champion. I'm fortunate enough to have witnessed many great O'Sullivan wins in the last couple of years, including all the majors. This is just a normal ranking event but it is as pleasing as the World title in 2008.
Ronnie had a terrible last season and didn't even enter the 2011 German Masters but now, 1 year later, everything has changed. Dr. Peters brought him back on track and he played a very good world championship under the circumstances. He entered all the PTCs and won 2 of them. He missed a few but it was due to illness.
His long pots, his weakness for a couple of years now, improved massively this season. His attitude was good. He was motivated. But things still didn't went to well. The problem: Judd Trump. Ronnie lost in 2 majors in row against the youngster and I heard things like "torch passed", "Ronnie is finished" and "he doesn't have it in him anymore".
O'Sullivan had a good season already before the German Masters but he was slipping down the rankings nonetheless because of his shocking last season. The ranking slip down was like oil in the fire for all the doubters. The worst thing was that the BBC made a tribute in the Masters final to Ronnie's career because they thought he might be done now.

Before the German Masters Ronnie was provisionally out of the top 16. A lot of people didn't think I would make the cut for the Crucible. Then the first round against Andrew Higginson started.
Ronnie didn't play badly before the midsession interval. Higginson played brilliantly and was full of confidence. In the 4. frame Ronnie had a chance to clinch it but he butchered the blue clearing the colours and this frame was also gone.
Ronnie was 0-4 down, in danger of being whitewashed, out of the top 16, he was finished in a match he couldn't afford to lose. It looked like this day would be one of the absolute low points in his career.

But Ronnie didn't roll over, saying I have enough, I don't need this anymore, I won everything there is to win, I don't want anymore. He didn't. He came out fighting. He tried everything possible to turn the match around. Ronnie tried his hardest and won a match he already lost. It was one of the greatest comebacks of his career in context of his situation and he eventual outcome. After that match I just knew that he would win this tournament. It just seemed so logical and inevitable.

Ronnie hammered Perry playing his A+ game 5-1. He beat Matthew Stevens 5-3 and won a nervy semi final 6-4 against Steven Lee. He said afterwards that he was suffering from a virus and he didn't feel too great. I was worried that this might affect his final performance but I was wrong. The final was the incredible finish of his incredible tournament.

Maguire was back at his brilliant best and started superbly with 3 centuries and went 3-1 in the lead. At 5-2 he looked like he would pull away but a strong O'Sullivan clearance kept him in the match. In the evening Maguire again started strong and went 6-3 in the lead. But after that everything changed. Maguire gave Ronnie 1 simple chance and the match flipped on its head. All of a sudden Ronnie was making all the noise and won frame after frame. He pushed hard, very hard. Maguire felt the pressure and missed a pressure ball. Ronnie made it 6-6 and showed a rare fist pump. All of a sudden Maguire was missing the long pots and Ronnie had the momentum and powered to a 8-6 lead. Everything looked to be over after Ronnie split the reds perfectly but he screwed up position on the black and missed a tricky black. Maguire gathered confidence from that miss and pulled off a great clearance. What followed was the last frame of the championship. Ronnie got a healthy 50 odds point lead with the colours awkward and far away from the reds. Ronnie lost a very long safety exchange and Maguire had the chance. He pulled off some incredible shots but missed eventually a tricky red in the left bottom corner. After a spell of safeties Ronnie fluked a snooker which Maguire didn't get safe. Ronnie potted match ball yellow but couldn't pot green. Maguire played on for safeties and eventually laid one behind the black with the blue just above the left middle pocket. Ronnie hit the blue but the white got in off. The fairytale tournament seemed to develop into a nightmare just before the finish line.

But the blue wasn't pottable and Maguire played safe. Ronnie got the white near the left bottom corner and blue near the top left corner with the pink and black on their spots. Maguire tried to power it in, missed and didn't get it safe. Ronnie potted the blue, made a fist pump, calmed himself down and potted the pink to finish the match.

Ronnie was exhausted but extremely happy and pleased with what he achieved.
After such a long drought there was nothing greater than Ronnie finally winning a ranking title again. After the 2009 Shanghai Masters I was pleased but I wasn't over the moon. This time I am. This victory means so much. Ronnie showing all the world that he can still do it under pressure in a ranking event against fully motivated top players. I loved the way he won. Even though it's great to steamroll an opponent in the final, like Maguire in the UK, it is just something else to pull a hard fought match out of the fire like Ronnie did yesterday.

I rank this win very highly, to be honest it was just as great as winning the UK or World in the 2007/08 season. The circumstances make this win so great. I am just so glad to have witnessed such an incredible win from Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:And that's not true Wild he has also defended his China Open title in 1999/2000. Btw not many have defended any titles since the mid 90th. Higgins defended his Welsh Open last season and Neil won the World Open being the GP defending champ ... That's all I can think about and in Neil's case it was a totally different type of format.

i stand corrected.

but i was making a point regarding sonny saying he would get bored in wales between matches rather than what he has or hasent won.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Last night the 2012 German Masters came to a close. It goes without saying that I will remember this tournament very fondly.

The venue is superb. Although I would like the tournament to last a few more days, this tournament is pretty much perfect. Ronnie said it himself, the arena is like Wembley. This event has a bright future. I would even propose to host a second tournament in Germany, the crowds are craving for snooker there.

yes the continent is craving for snooker unfortunately sponsors are a bit tight.

Last Night Ronnie won about £40,000 when you compare that to the China Events with one next season having a top prize of £125,000 and thats it debut season thats where the Money is.

Lets Hope Sponsors on the Continent dig deeper

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:

i stand corrected.

but i was making a point regarding sonny saying he would get bored in wales between matches rather than what he has or hasent won.

Possibly. Although it's not a very long tournament and if he has a day off I'd expect him to drive back home or to go and see Damien who lives near Gloucester.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:

i stand corrected.

Possibly. Although it's not a very long tournament and if he has a day off I'd expect him to drive back home or to go and see Damien who lives near Gloucester.

i think Ronnie loves challanges being no 1 was no challange and it bored him being one of the pack wanting to climbe up is a challange and having Judd snapping at his heels like a demented puppy is also challanging.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Last night the 2012 German Masters came to a close. It goes without saying that I will remember this tournament very fondly.

yes the continent is craving for snooker unfortunately sponsors are a bit tight.

Last Night Ronnie won about £40,000 when you compare that to the China Events with one next season having a top prize of £125,000 and thats it debut season thats where the Money is.

Lets Hope Sponsors on the Continent dig deeper

give it time, up until this event next season the Chinese events have only had top prizes of around 60k and all in, paltry prize funds of around 300k. Im going to sound like Monique here but when you factor in the travelling costs into it and do a like for like comparison to Germany, its on a par with the Chinese events tbh.

Sure this new big prize kitty is a step in the right direction at last, but give Germany a decade or more, which is what China has had with snooker, and well see what kind of prize funds it can offer.

Postby Wildey

theres been a lot of talk about Ronnies Ranking what about bingham ?

he won the first Ranking Title got up to 11th in the rankings and hes not consoladated that and could be qualifying for sheffield.

Postby Witz78

The Cueist wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Missed the last session but it sounds like it was exciting.

Congratulations to Ronnie on winning and bad luck to Maguire who played some amazing snooker in the opening session.

Aye,Mags lost by a fraction.

Ronnie up to 13th chasing Gouldie for 12th in the world,Well done Ronnie. :D :D

thats a few times ive saw this now, nobody corrected you <doh>

Ronnies 15th, dont waste your time with them stupid world snooker rankings, there about as much use as Rodney Walkers used toilet paper is

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:You can't tell me Ronnie is better to watch in exhibitions than he is when he's playing match snooker like last night because it's bull. When he's desperate to win and is trying his hardest, that's when he's really great to watch.

right what ill say is this.

Id far rather see Ronnie play exhibition style snooker than that Higgins-esque / Robbo-esque tripe last night.

the key point is Ronnie has played exhibition style snooker in countless ranking matches down the years and thats what seperates him from the bulk of the tour.

Sure its good as a fan to see him digging in and showing determination and fight, but id far rather see him not having to resort to this B game, and able to play his old dominant high scoring style of play.

If this is the blueprint for the new Ronnies style, if it gets him results like last night, then fair enough, but hes slowly going to become a sort of Jimmy figure and a generation will grow up thinking of him as a grinder and a hit and run player which he is not. The free flowing all out attack mantle has well and truly been handed to Judd now it has to be said.