Topic locked

Re: PartyPoker.net German Masters Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

jojo wrote:if it isrobertson v judd in the final i would make robertson favourite that man fast becoming an all weather type player and it clear after the events at the masters robertson has got inside trumps head

It would be just ridicoulus if these 2 would meet AGAIN. No Robbo will lose in the quarters.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:Sam Craigie in the German qualifiers it was.

Haha not quite Chinese then. Yes I remember now. I was gutted because I've seen Doherty do it before and it's a shame when young prospects of genuine promise get some early battle scars like that.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
jojo wrote:if it isrobertson v judd in the final i would make robertson favourite that man fast becoming an all weather type player and it clear after the events at the masters robertson has got inside trumps head

It would be just ridicoulus if these 2 would meet AGAIN. No Robbo will lose in the quarters.

at least its a proper needle match unlike higgins v ronnie love ins

:gag: :grrr:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:If it goes close cant see robbo losing to matthew

Matthews only hope is a 5-0 or 5-1

Robbo loves facing ronnnie but would also like a match with his good pal joe :hatoff:

Robbos one of the top players who Ronnie doesnt fear

the ones he does fear are

Selby, Trump, Higgins

the ones he loves playing are

Ding, Murphy, Maguire, Carter, Stevens

the ones hes indifferent about facing are

Allen, Robbo, Dott

5-1 2006 grand prix

5-1 world open final

5-4 welsh open 2007

:wave: <cool> :bowdown:

looking at records just since the start of 2010 (www.snooker.org dont go any further back) Ronnie has won 6 out of last 7 encounters theyve played rofl

2010 Masters 6-4
2010 PL 5-1
2010 World Open 1-5
2010 PL semi 5-1
2011 Champs League 3-0
2011 PTC9 4-1
2011 Power Snooker 519-157

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Robbo loves facing ronnnie but would also like a match with his good pal joe :hatoff:

Selby, Trump, Higgins

Allen, Robbo, Dott

5-1 2006 grand prix

5-1 world open final

5-4 welsh open 2007

looking at records just since the start of 2010 (http://www.snooker.org dont go any further back) Ronnie has won 6 out of last 7 encounters theyve played rofl

2010 Masters 6-4
2010 PL 5-1
2010 World Open 1-5
2010 PL semi 5-1
2011 Champs League 3-0
2011 PTC9 4-1
2011 Power Snooker 519-157

power snooker counted

case closed

<cool>

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:if it is robertson v judd in the final i would make robertson favourite that man fast becoming an all weather type player and it clear after the events at the masters robertson has got inside trumps head

<doh>

Judd owns Jono in FINALS <ok>

trawl through the archives (if you can find them before Sonny, GJ and Hendon have burned them all) and you will see the compelling evidence you need mate <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Selby, Trump, Higgins

Allen, Robbo, Dott

5-1 2006 grand prix

5-1 world open final

5-4 welsh open 2007

1-4 EPTC 4 2011
4-5 Welsh Open 2005
4-6 Masters 2010
10-13 World Championship 2007

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
jojo wrote:if it is robertson v judd in the final i would make robertson favourite that man fast becoming an all weather type player and it clear after the events at the masters robertson has got inside trumps head

<doh>

Judd owns Jono in FINALS <ok>

trawl through the archives (if you can find them before Sonny, GJ and Hendon have burned them all) and you will see the compelling evidence you need mate <ok>

9 out of 9 100 % for robbo <cool> :happy:

judds record in finals ................... :wave:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:PL doesn't count (shotclock)
Power Snooker? Give me a break!

I fancy Robbo to beat Ronnie if Ronnie can get past Perry.

at the end of the day thought, whatever format players meet it in, its still a 1v1 duel and gaining the mental edge over an opponent is always advatageous.

I play my main snooker opponents in all sorts of formats, be it best of 19s, colour games, 6 reds, games of pool, games of 8 ball etc and each win whatever the format is good for bragging rights and securing a mental hold and edge ahead of the next encounter.

Postby GJ

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
GJ wrote:

power snooker counted

case closed

<cool>

But you got to admit: Ronnie owned him there big time

its all fun that event :spot on:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:

Selby, Trump, Higgins

Allen, Robbo, Dott

I agree Witz, but how could you possibly forget Mark Williams? Unbeaten for a over a decade now.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Doherty did it quite recently didn't he? Was it against Wenbo? I remember being gutted.

Anyway, having finally studied the draw I think Joe Perry has more than a good chance of beating Ronnie, and my pick of the tv table would be Dott/Selby v Murphy. So you can't keep everyone happy. At least at the weekend we'll get to see all the action.

If Ronnie now loses to Perry after what happened today, I would :shc:

Postby Roland

What these head to head stats don't tell you is that

1) Robbo is not a shot clock snooker player

2) Robbo is currently playing the best snooker out of pretty much everyone and is a more complete player than he was even one year ago. So those results dating 2006-2010 are null and void for any meetings this year.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:What these head to head stats don't tell you is that

2) Robbo is currently playing the best snooker out of pretty much everyone and is a more complete player than he was even one year ago. So those results dating 2006-2010 are null and void for any meetings this year.

That is true.

But I think another fact is of real importance: Robbo has a very poor record outside the UK.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:What these head to head stats don't tell you is that

it wasnt meant to be a proper h2h or any proof or evidence, just a quick summary of their meetings since 2010

id have to say Trump is playing better stuff in the last year than Robbo though, one Masters game doesnt change all that

and how can you just render 5 years of previous results meaningless because there in the past and its what counts now that matters?

h2h still an important factor and guide, albeit more so in cases where someone has complete dominance and a mental edge over an opponent.

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Selby, Trump, Higgins

Allen, Robbo, Dott

I agree Witz, but how could you possibly forget Mark Williams? Unbeaten for a over a decade now.

haha yeh i kinda knew when i quickly knocked that up id missed somebody

think Williams would have to be almost in a category of his own, such is Ronnies hold over him

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:That's also pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

I have to disagree. Although he's playing currently the best snooker of his life, he always tends to struggle outside the BBC ranking events. That is a deeper problem I'm afraid. Let's not forget that Robbo hasn't just learned to play snooker, he is world class for a while now and still in all these years he couldn't win a proper ranker outside the UK.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 03 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

I'd agree generally but Robbo isn't the sort of player you can use the "mental edge" argument against.

I'd also agree that Judd has played the best snooker of the last 12 months however I think he caught Robbo unawares at the Crucible, and Robbo should have got back on level terms with Judd at the UK but for a crucial chance he blew (and he knew it in the post match press conference afterwards). He beat him in a PTC final when Judd looked unbeatable, and he blitzed him at the Masters which all goes to show that although Judd can beat everyone else, Robbo isn't scared of him and has a plan when he plays him and for me knows how to beat him. Robbo will have his own players that will know how to get the better of him but who wouldn't necessarily be able to beat Judd. And so the cycle goes. I just wish to buck that Robbo and Selby can meet in a big match because that's the test neither have yet faced. Two styles of brinkmanship if you like.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Sonny wrote:That's also pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

I have to disagree. Although he's playing currently the best snooker of his life, he always tends to struggle outside the BBC ranking events. That is a deeper problem I'm afraid. Let's not forget that Robbo hasn't just learned to play snooker, he is world class for a while now and still in all these years he couldn't win a proper ranker outside the UK.

I think you're making more of that than is actually there. He's a proven traveller, he's Australian for gods sake! Anyway, as the bulk of events have been in the UK or China for the last few seasons I'd say he's yet had the chance to test himself. With a more global calendar he will get plenty of opportunity to win outside of the UK. Don't forget in the German Masters last season the muppet lost his passport and was visibly fatigued with big bags under his eyes when he finally played his match.

The thing with Robbo is, he won the World Championship before he was the finished article, and this season he IS the finished article. That's why I'm discounting results from years gone because they were when he was learning his craft. Everyone peaks at a different age, and Robbo is currently peaking.

Postby Witz78

id actually say Robbos peak was when he played his natural game

since the World Open hes been past his peak so has had to draw up a new style of slower negative mindgames tactical approach which works

a bit like Higgins now is different to the original Higgins