Topic locked

Re: BGC Masters Quarter Final Discusion !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Casey

Last year it was because he didn't care, this year it's because of Trump? Not sure about that but we will see. It's only going to get tougher for him.

Meantime, Trump is on fire.

Postby boris_the_butcher

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:He can still only win one match in proper events, the decline is well and truly on.

Trump's ascent continues.

Hallo? He played Trump 2 times in the "proper events" this seasons after the opening round.

Trump was beatable in York in that match. I know Anthony Hamilton is world class though. But at least he's getting past the first round, no Ryan Day to terrify him I suspect.

Postby boris_the_butcher

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:He can still only win one match in proper events, the decline is well and truly on.

Trump's ascent continues.

Hallo? He played Trump 2 times in the "proper events" this seasons after the opening round.

Trump was beatable in York in that match. Anthony Hamilton?. But at least he's getting past the first round, no Ryan Day to terrify him I suspect.

Postby hendry_fan

Ronnie O'Sullivan 2-6 *Judd Trump*

YES,YES,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!,WELL DONE JUDD!!!!.

Brilliant first 4 frames from Judd,then started to miss a few,(mainly long pots) after the MSI,but brought the boat safely home in the end.

Ronnie played pretty good overall but missed a couple too many and was a bit over par by his standards with his safety play.As Dennis Taylor said,"it,s incredible te amount of times he,s hit the brown",yes Dennis it certainly was,instead of getting the cue ball tight on the baulk cushion,he kept hittin the brown.

:happy: Well done Judd,once again you,ve beaten that pumkin Ronnie :happy:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

boris_the_butcher wrote:But at least he's getting past the first round, no Ryan Day to terrify him I suspect.

Day will get a proper spanking the next time he plays Ronnie, I can guarantee you that.

He shouldn't have lost that match in Shanghai but he hasn't done that much wrong besides that this season.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:But at least he's getting past the first round, no Ryan Day to terrify him I suspect.

Day will get a proper spanking the next time he plays Ronnie, I can guarantee you that.

He shouldn't have lost that match in Shanghai but he hasn't done that much wrong besides that this season.

exactly and yet nothing much to show for it...

just imagine if he had done a lot wrong

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

His season is not less successful than Robbo's who also hasn't done a lot wrong and has nothing to show for it minus a Premier League title.

Postby SnookerFan

After watching Ronnie and Ding play on Sunday, I said to my mate; "Judd will snake hiss all over Ronnie, if Ronnie plays like that." But I didn't really mean it, I just meant Trump was favourite the way Ronnie played. I didn't expect Judd to turn him over by that much.

I'm hoping for another Higgins vs Trump final now. :D

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

His season is not less successful than Robbo's who also hasn't done a lot wrong and has nothing to show for it minus a Premier League title.

not exactly Ronnie has not reached 2 Ranking event semi finals whitch to coin a phrase trumps a PL Title.

hes not finished yet but Steve Davis did not wake up in 1990 and he was rubbish just that a younger player had come along and did what he used to do ...

same thing Hendry did not get rubbish over night but more you lose harder it gets.

i see the same signs now with Trump and Ronnie its just a gradual thing that will erode his self belief the older he gets.

thats not to say he can still pick up majors but theres not really been much sign of it yet this season.

Postby Monique

this is what I answered to some Ronnie fans who - on his site - suggested that Ronnie probably didn't mean what he said in his postmatch (the bit we saw on BBC right after the match)

I'm sure Ronnie fully meant what he said. Judd was the better player, no question, he may even be the best player on the MT at this very moment actually. He's full of confidence.

Ronnie said he gave it 100% and I'm sure he did. On many occasions in the past, being 4-0 down, he would have given up and just knocked the balls around. He didn't, he fought hard. He served some very good snooker of his own, made that wonderful 141 under the highest of pressure.

I am a Ronnie fan and I'm proud about the way he fought today, proud in general about how he's bounced back after last season disaster. But that will not stop me to see that Judd was truly excellent today, deserved the win - slice of luck or not, this wasn't what decided the match in any way - and to enjoy his snooker.

Congratulations Judd.

That sums it up for me.
Ronnie is 6th in the one year list this season. He's not the force he was but he's still very capable of beating most players on the MT on a regular basis. Judd is probably the best man around right now and it's a bit of a shame that the two had to clash in round 2 in the two major tournaments we've had this season. But that's how it is.

Postby gallantrabbit

Another measure response from Ronnie after a heavy defeat. Good sign. I actually think having Trump in the game will keep Ronnie interested longer. Who were his rivalries with in the last 5 years? Higgins/Williams, Selby. Apart from Selby all rivalries that have been going on for ever. I'm sure Ronnie believes he can beat Trump. All good. Ronnie didn't play bad today. Trump is just loaded with confidence and playing great stuff. The 140 was great. Shame I missed Ronnie's 141.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

not exactly Ronnie has not reached 2 Ranking event semi finals whitch to coin a phrase trumps a PL Title.

hes not finished yet but Steve Davis did not wake up in 1990 and he was donkey doo just that a younger player had come along and did what he used to do ...

same thing Hendry did not get donkey doo over night but more you lose harder it gets.

i see the same signs now with Trump and Ronnie its just a gradual thing that will erode his self belief the older he gets.

thats not to say he can still pick up majors but theres not really been much sign of it yet this season.

We can't mix all these different thoughts together. First to Ronnie:

- he is still very good and in a way the season is just really starting now (we have had only 3 rankers so far this seasons, now they really come thick and fast)
- it won't be easy for him to win a major, he'll need a lucky draw but he still can do it
- Trump and Higgins have got the better of him in the last couple of seasons but don't forget there are many top players that Ronnie bullies around: Williams, Ding, Murphy, Carter, Maguire

Now to Trump:

- he's the next in the line after the 92 generation
- he's the best player in the world right now by some distant (Robbo in my book 2.)
- he has the style of a young Ronnie around the table and the determination and temperament of a John Higgins
- that makes him a frightenly good player, he combines the strenghtes of Higgins and Ronnie, he's a great front runner and does really well in close matches (Robbo)
- I didn't think a player could dominate modern snooker but Trump can, I expected him to lose early this week but he didn't
- Trump has a good chance to win the triple this season

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:Day will get a proper spanking the next time he plays Ronnie, I can guarantee you that.

hes not finished yet but Steve Davis did not wake up in 1990 and he was donkey doo just that a younger player had come along and did what he used to do ...

same thing Hendry did not get donkey doo over night but more you lose harder it gets.

We can't mix all these different thoughts together. First to Ronnie:

- he is still very good and in a way the season is just really starting now (we have had only 3 rankers so far this seasons, now they really come thick and fast)
- it won't be easy for him to win a major, he'll need a lucky draw but he still can do it
- Trump and Higgins have got the better of him in the last couple of seasons but don't forget there are many top players that Ronnie bullies around: Williams, Ding, Murphy, Carter, Maguire

Now to Trump:

- he's the next in the line after the 92 generation
- he's the best player in the world right now by some distant (Robbo in my book 2.)
- he has the style of a young Ronnie around the table and the determination and temperament of a John Higgins
- that makes him a frightenly good player, he combines the strenghtes of Higgins and Ronnie, he's a great front runner and does really well in close matches (Robbo)
- I didn't think a player could dominate modern snooker but Trump can, I expected him to lose early this week but he didn't
- Trump has a good chance to win the triple this season

the season ISNT just starting now <doh>

44,000/81,000 ranking points (55%) of this seasons total available ranking points have already been played for <ok>