Topic locked

Re: The Masters 1st Round Discusion !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I'm back. I hope everybody enjoyed their christmas holdidays.

But now it's time for proper snooker. Unfortunately I have a shitload of work to do next week but it won't stop me from watching most of the coverage.

Part-timers. :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Michaela Tabb won't be at The Masters. :grrr:

yeh, she heard her stalker was going to be there so i cant blame her

What, you don't think she'd have liked it if I'd have started bad monkey -ing at her at the Ally Pally?

Some people just can't take a compliment.

Postby kostasmad

Post by SnookerFan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 pm

kostasmad wrote:Thanks mate
It is painful ...On the other hand, wife is the personal nurse and snooker on tv....

Has she got a nurse's uniform?

Nah....She is a judge (so judge uniform) and always puts me on trial....

Postby SnookerFan

World number one Mark Selby is hoping to continue his good form at the Masters when this year's tournament begins on Sunday.

Selby, 28, who plays Stephen Lee in the first round, won the event in 2008 and 2010, and reached the final in 2009.

"Each player seems to excel at a different type of tournament and with me, it appears to have been at the Masters," said Selby.

I enjoyed playing at Wembley Arena. I won the tournament there so I'm obviously going to say that but I'm always open for change and as long as I have a good tournament, I don't mind where it's played
Selby on the move to Alexandra Palace
The non-ranking invitational tournament, which brings together the world's top 16 players, has moved to Alexandra Palace this year, bringing an end to a 33-year stay at Wembley.

While Wembley holds good memories for Selby, the 28-year-old doesn't believe the new venue will affect his chances of winning a third Masters title in five years.

"I enjoyed playing at Wembley Arena," said Selby. "I won the tournament there so I'm obviously going to say that but I'm always open for change and as long as I have a good tournament, I don't mind where it's played."

Selby won his first major title when he convincingly beat Lee in the Masters final in 2008.

But he believes the world number 15 will still provide a stern challenge when they meet each other again on Wednesday.

"I played him [Lee] in the final and I played really well then," said Selby. "If I play like that, I know I've got a good chance.

"Stephen is obviously a class act and he has shown in the past season what kind of player he is. It's going to be a tough game."

After two thrilling Masters finals against Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2009 and 2010, in which they won a title each, Selby crashed out to Mark King in the first round last year.

Defending champion Ding Junhui opens his account with a match against four-time Masters champion O'Sullivan on Sunday in a repeat of the 2007 final, which O'Sullivan won 10-3 to leave Ding in tears.

"Last year was great for me at the Masters, I had my problems before but I put those behind me and I am looking forward to it this year," said Ding.

Two-time Masters champion Mark Williams faces a tricky encounter with Stephen Maguire, who won his first title which carries ranking points for four years when he triumphed at this month's Players Tour Championship event in Munich, in Sunday's evening session.

On Monday, UK champion Judd Trump takes on Stuart Bingham, who won his first ranking title in Australia last July. If Trump, the 22-year-old left-hander from Bristol, prevails in that match, he will face the winner of the Ding-O'Sullivan clash.

Shaun Murphy, the 2005 world champion and 2008 UK champion, takes on Masters debutant Martin Gould later on Monday.

World champion Neil Robertson, who has never won more than one match at the Masters, takes on UK Championship finalist Mark Allen on Tuesday with John Higgins, a two-time Masters champion, taking on 2000 winner Matthew Stevens in the evening session.

The climax of the first-round matches, which are best of 11 frames, sees Selby take on Lee on Wednesday before Ali Carter plays three-time World Championship finalist Graeme Dott.

Postby kostasmad

Matts prediction from pro snooker blog:

Semi-finals: Neil Robertson def Judd Trump, Mark Selby def Matthew Stevens

Final: Neil Robertson def Mark Selby

I am of the opinion that we will see a Trump-Selby Final...

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:im of the opinion the player that pots most balls makes less mistakes will win <ok>

talk about sitting on the fence :limp:

the influence of Her Indoors is taking effect already folks :chuckle:

that's not sitting on the fence its stating that its the most open masters that i can ever remember nobody is clear cut favorite.

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:im of the opinion the player that pots most balls makes less mistakes will win <ok>

that's not sitting on the fence its stating that its the most open masters that i can ever remember nobody is clear cut favorite.

It's easier to give names who won't win it -

Stevens
Ronnie
MaGuire
Gould
Higgins

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Stevens
Ronnie
MaGuire
Gould
Higgins

your a fool to write off Ronnie

i think almost everyone regardless of his form and attitude, and also whether they like him or not, would still put him down as a serious contender for this.

You seriously reckoning Carter has more chance of winning it rofl

He couldnt even hook the duck at a funfair these days let alone win a match

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:also id have Maguire and posisbly Gould down as players who can win this

the list of players id have down as wont win it are

Higgins
Lee
Stevens
Bingham
Carter
Dott
Williams

Now you're the one sitting on the fence <doh> 15 players WON'T win it, that much is certain ...

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Stevens
Ronnie
MaGuire
Gould
Higgins

Higgins not played well but don't discard him.

Ronnie playing well but he has struggled in majors again he could spark to life.

the last player to win a tournament was maguire confidence is what it all about winning breeds confidence.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Stevens
Ronnie
MaGuire
Gould
Higgins

Ronnie playing well but he has struggled in majors again he could spark to life.

the last player to win a tournament was maguire confidence is what it all about winning breeds confidence.

<doh>

WRONG, Murphy was the last player to win a tournament :no:

Wilds losing his touch :love:

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Stevens
Ronnie
MaGuire
Gould
Higgins

Ronnie has not won a major in 3 years. Higgins last lost 10 times in the first round of the Masters and MaGuire will blob against the better players.