Topic locked

Bad News

Postby SnookerFan

I went to the T-Shirt printing shop that I noticed on New Year's Eve this morning, and it's not possible for them to get a T-Shirt printed that says 'Stop Shortening Matches!' by Sunday, when I'm off up to The Masters. :-( I should've asked earlier.

Maybe in time for the next snooker tournament I attend.

Re: Bad News

Postby Witz78

gotta laugh

i dont hear anyone making any mention of the fact the World Open format HAS BEEN INCREASED

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:gotta laugh

i dont hear anyone making any mention of the fact the World Open format HAS BEEN INCREASED

Even more pertinent a point when you consider the BO3 format was widely considered a huge success :-(

Postby sundaygirl

Saw this "headline" in the @snookerisland twitter feed this am and was about to panic, but I correctly guessed not only that it was a Snookerfan thread but also that it was probably a bit melodramatic ;-)

Postby Roland

and that also said tweet was promptly deleted :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Saw this "headline" in the @snookerisland twitter feed this am and was about to panic, but I correctly guessed not only that it was a Snookerfan thread but also that it was probably a bit melodramatic ;-)

Sonny wrote:and that also said tweet was promptly deleted :redneck:

rofl Surely, this is the biggest news story of the day.

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Good point. <ok> I'm actually looking forward to the World Open this year. :D The best of fives didn't speak to me as an event. :sad:

Though, like Bourne said, as many people considered it as success, I'm in a minority. Still, it's good that not every tournament has the attitude of it'll be made more exciting if it's shortened.

Postby Roland

But the World Open is the Grand Prix isn't it? So it's been reinstated in China. I wonder if the roll of honour will include results dating back to the 80s

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

Good point. <ok> I'm actually looking forward to the World Open this year. :D The best of fives didn't speak to me as an event. :sad:

Though, like Bourne said, as many people considered it as success, I'm in a minority. Still, it's good that not every tournament has the attitude of it'll be made more exciting if it's shortened.

im maybe biased because i was at the event, but the best of 5s worked great from a viewpoint in the arena and there was great tension in the crowd and arena from the off.

i heard critics of it say, it didnt produce quick matches as players played negatively but IMO that means the best of 5 was a success as it relplicated the tense situation youd have in say a best of 19 match that was 7-7 as an example and at the critical business end.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

im maybe biased because i was at the event, but the best of 5s worked great from a viewpoint in the arena and there was great tension in the crowd and arena from the off.

i heard critics of it say, it didnt produce quick matches as players played negatively but IMO that means the best of 5 was a success as it relplicated the tense situation youd have in say a best of 19 match that was 7-7 as an example and at the critical business end.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:But the World Open is the Grand Prix isn't it? So it's been reinstated in China. I wonder if the roll of honour will include results dating back to the 80s

i dunno how they can call it the World Open now as its no longer open to the world.

last years (put your hatred of best of 5s aside) was revolutionary with the elite top 16 entering at last 64 stage and not all assured of playing at the venue. Also there was numerous qualifying tournaments in clubs around the country and abroad with lots of amateurs getting the chance to mix it with the pros in a ranking event.

Thats the main loss id say, it just had something unique and 21st century about it last season, now were back to yet another stale old best of 9 format, the 3 China tournaments are all so similar, can almost tell exactly what this will be like and with the China Open just weeks later its gonna be like Deja Vu (is he a Chinese player :gag: )

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

I'm happy to admit that more people liked it than didn't. I'm just one of the people who didn't.