Is The Masters Outdated ?

YES
19%
NO
81%

Total votes : 16

The Masters (outdated)

Postby Wildey

simple enough Question is The Masters in todays Ranking orientated Snooker Tour Outdated ?

YES
NO

Re: The Masters (outdated)

Postby Bourne

I'd have to say it is. Take away the prize money, what's it got ? Prestige ? Well there's a couple of tournaments already ahead of it in those stakes. It has to be revamped in order to get be able to stand out in today's calendar, starting with the format.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I'd have to say it is. Take away the prize money, what's it got ? Prestige ? Well there's a couple of tournaments already ahead of it in those stakes. It has to be revamped in order to get be able to stand out in today's calendar, starting with the format.

ye its effectively just the last 16 stage of the UK weve just seen a month ago :fart:

Postby SnookerFan

I like The Masters. Top-16 only, invitational event. What's not to like? It has it's only unique identity, which is something we're told often that other tournaments need.

It's one of a million events now of course, but it's still an event I like forward to watching. It remains to be seen whether the change of venue will make a difference, or whether the players still perform well in it when there is a glut of events to be played where there is ranking points at stake.

But apart from when I'm clicking the wrong option by mistake <doh>, I will vote no. It's not outdated. Why would people think it was?

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:I'd have to say it is. Take away the prize money, what's it got ? Prestige ? Well there's a couple of tournaments already ahead of it in those stakes. It has to be revamped in order to get be able to stand out in today's calendar, starting with the format.

ye its effectively just the last 16 stage of the UK weve just seen a month ago :fart:

Surely this is a criticism of the UK, not the Masters?

Postby Wildey

buck SAKES

poll says 2-2 actual score is 3-1 no <doh> <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:buck SAKES

poll says 2-2 actual score is 3-1 no <doh> <doh>

rofl rofl :wave:

If it makes you feel better, I voted no on the same thread on The Snooker Forum.

Postby Wildey

i think what the Masters needs is to be played at the End of the season in May and one year rankings decide who plays so its THE MASTERS of the season..

sort of similar to PTC Grand Finals.

Postby Witz78

its stale and is bullocks

make it winner takes all the cash and that would truly spice it up

make it an 8 man event only with the following criteria

WORLD CHAMPION - Higgins
UK CHAMPION - Trump
REIGNING MASTERS CHAMPION - Ding

TOP 3 ON THE PROVISIONAL LIST NOT MEETING THE ABOVE CRITERIA - Selby, Williams, Robertson

TOP 2 ON THE ONE YEAR LIST NOT MEETING ABOVE CRITERIA - Allen, Murphy

there needs to be something a bit different about this event to make it more exclusive and elite

on the flipside if we truly want it to be about the Masters then id happily see the likes of Jimmy, Davis, Hendry, Ronnie, Ebdon, Doherty wheeled out for this event to give it extra prestige.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i think what the Masters needs is to be played at the End of the season in May and one year rankings decide who plays so its THE MASTERS of the season..

nah played straight after the worlds plus into the summer it would be pointless

perhaps it would work as a good season opener in the Autumn though based on the previous seasons one year list.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:i think what the Masters needs is to be played at the End of the season in May and one year rankings decide who plays so its THE MASTERS of the season..

nah played straight after the worlds plus into the summer it would be pointless

perhaps it would work as a good season opener in the Autumn though based on the previous seasons one year list.

yup but whenever its played i think it really should be based on as up to date rankings/one year list as possible buck this promotional bullocks and people wanting tickets.... let them get them blind or wait.

Postby Casey

Witz, I was thinking the same as you with regards to winner takes all. There are plenty of other events out there for the top 16 to make a killing on - so if the Masters was to offer a top prize of £300k it would make things a lot different!

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:yup but whenever its played i think it really should be based on as up to date rankings/one year list as possible buck this promotional bullocks and people wanting tickets.... let them get them blind or wait.

Wanting the ranking to be as up-to-date as possible, isn't the same thing as thinking the tournament is outdated.

Postby Monique

And no need to change it. It's one of the cornerstones of the season and the real opener in the new year.

Postby SnookerFan

It looks like most people are on the side of NO.

Good job I mis-clicked, or this poll could be really one-sided.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:And no need to change it. It's one of the cornerstones of the season and the real opener in the new year.

in the new all singing all dancing world calendar its now no longer a cornerstone, more like a milestone.

It needs changed and brought into the 21st century. The Ally Pally is a start, a format change is the next.

one year rankings should be used so its truly the Masters of the game in the last year who are there.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:yup but whenever its played i think it really should be based on as up to date rankings/one year list as possible buck this promotional bullocks and people wanting tickets.... let them get them blind or wait.

Wanting the ranking to be as up-to-date as possible, isn't the same thing as thinking the tournament is outdated.

yeh kinda but Wilds poll was devoid of options for us discerning "fans" so we had to swing one way :limp:

Postby SnookerFan

I think we should abolish the Sky Shootout. These days players are more concerned with their rankings than ever, and the Sky Shootout has had it's day. :grrr:

rofl rofl

Postby Monique

Changing the way the rankings are compiled has nothing to do with the event itself.
It's the Top 16 battle, and I don't see why the format has to change. Also it should stay in London and I will wait and see when the event is complete if Ally Pally is a plus or a minus. The last thing I want is the final of any major snooker event to be played in the kind of atmosphere we had at the darts final.

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:Changing the way the rankings are compiled has nothing to do with the event itself.
It's the Top 16 battle, and I don't see why the format has to change. Also it should stay in London and I will wait and see when the event is complete if Ally Pally is a plus or a minus. The last thing I want is the final of any major snooker event to be played in the kind of atmosphere we had at the darts final.

Like the Masters in 2007 then ?

Postby Wildey

i think theres good sugestions on a change of format

8 Man winner Takes All sounds good to me.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i think theres good sugestions on a change of format

8 Man winner Takes All sounds good to me.

:hatoff:

WINNER TAKES ALL WOULD MEAN NO-ONE WOULD JUST GIVE UP AND THINK "SOD IT, ILL GO HOME WITH MY PAY CHEQUE AND BE HAPPY WITH THAT"

MAKE IT £250K TO THE WINNER WHICH IS ON A PAR WITH THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRIZE

THE 250K SAVED IN PRIZE MONEY COULD THEN BE REINVESTED INTO OTHER RANKERS AND SPREAD BETTER, NOT JUST AMONG THE ELITE, SO EVERYONES A WINNER

Postby Witz78

MASTERS 2012 LAST 16 DRAW BASED ON ONE YEAR RANKINGS (POINTS EARNED IN 2011 - ptc finals, germany, wales, china, WC, ptc1-12, aus, shanghai, UK)

1 V 16 - SELBY - WALDEN
8 V 9 - DING - ALLEN
5 V 12 - MURPHY - BINGHAM
4 V 13 - WILLIAMS - RONNIE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 V 14 - HIGGINS - LEE
6 V 11 - ROBERTSON - STEVENS
7 V 10 - DOTT - GOULD
2 V 15 - TRUMP - MAGUIRE

The one notable omission here is Carter who wasnt in the top 16 for 2011. Maguire and Allen only made it, thanks to their UK runs. It would spice up the UK too with the cut off after it too.

Postby mediter

Monique wrote:And no need to change it. It's one of the cornerstones of the season and the real opener in the new year.

I am with you here. Snooker is an indoor game, and weather in London in january probably ain´t that great, so Masters being played the real opener in the new year brings a great great athmophere and buzz ! Masters has it´s own flair you can´t copy or change. Masters has to be played in London and in january the real opener in the new year !! And nothing wrong with the format

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:MASTERS 2012 LAST 16 DRAW BASED ON ONE YEAR RANKINGS (POINTS EARNED IN 2011 - ptc finals, germany, wales, china, WC, ptc1-12, aus, shanghai, UK)

1 V 16 - SELBY - WALDEN
8 V 9 - DING - ALLEN
5 V 12 - MURPHY - BINGHAM
4 V 13 - WILLIAMS - RONNIE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 V 14 - HIGGINS - LEE
6 V 11 - ROBERTSON - STEVENS
7 V 10 - DOTT - GOULD
2 V 15 - TRUMP - MAGUIRE

The one notable omission here is Carter who wasnt in the top 16 for 2011. Maguire and Allen only made it, thanks to their UK runs. It would spice up the UK too with the cut off after it too.

Can't argue with anything that means there is less Ali Carter. <ok>