Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com U K Championship Semi Finals Discussion!

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:many people think 4-4 in a best of 17= best of 9

but what has happened to get to 4-4 is the key and why intervals work in snooker.

Robbo has always played catch up but in a 0-0 in a best of 9 he wouldnt and the few hours between sessions is the exciting part of a match when players think about shots they missed or got to make it 4-4.

It's just best of 9 Wild. Nothing more. It wouldn't be if the score was different. But it's 4-4 and the last mini-session was quite close. It's not as if one of them had come back to the other one big time and given him loads to think about.
It's a good match, and it's good snooker, but it's just best of 9 now in this match.

Of course it's not always the case. In 2004 WC semis, when Hendry lead 4-1 and Ronnie closed the session all square, it's obvious that the pressure was on Hendry. But not here. Both mini sessions were shared.
Longer matches can be exciting when one player seems to run away with the match and the other one comes back at him but they can just as well be totally uninteresting, like the WC 2008 final or the UK 2007 final. And my personal feeling is that we have 9 of the latter for 1 of the former. Not really a good deal is it?

It can be described as such in a sense that we've had a really closely fought contest between the two in the first session but in no way otherwise can we see a 4-4 in a best of 17 or an equal score a best of x. The prime example here is the 1983 UK Championship Final, Higgins having recovered from 7-0 behind levelled with Davis at 11-11 did that make the match best of nine - or did Dennis Taylor's recovery from 8-0 behind to 11-11 make the World Final a best of 13 contest? Nope, because in each there was a clear momentum which was held by both players who'd come from behind. - However you could hold some link with the idea of a best of 9 in the UK Final given Alex having won the evening session 7-1 to go 7-8 won the 16th frame to level at 8-8.

The suggestion which Monique makes, which as I've said does have some sense can only work in matches where it's been almost dead level e.g. as we've seen with each mini-session going 2-2 so far.

Postby Andre147

Robbo will lose 9-6 or 9-7 me thinks...... He isnt scoring well enough, and Judd is now full of confidence again... But never discount Robbo, he is a fighter and never gives up, so Judd will have to be on his toes...

Postby Andre147

Eirebilly wrote:Its just not working for Robbo tonight. Horrible kick has let Trump in again

Yes he has indeed, some bad run of the ball... But he´s now made a great pot and could win the frame from here

Postby SnookerFan

Apparently, this was a quote from Ding.

"“The matches are too short, I didn’t have any interest at all in coming to play at this tournament."

That must've been a misquote, but all the same. He sounds like he's not a fan of the frame shortening either.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Apparently, this was a quote from Ding.

"“The matches are too short, I didn’t have any interest at all in coming to play at this tournament."

That must've been a misquote, but all the same. He sounds like he's not a fan of the frame shortening either.

yeah but as pro players you get on with each frame as they come it seems to me everyone moaning a good 5 months too late.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Apparently, this was a quote from Ding.

yeah but as pro players you get on with each frame as they come it seems to me everyone moaning a good 5 months too late.

True dat. :hatoff: