Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com U K Championship Semi Finals Discussion!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Media centre duty. When you're around the venue for most of the week it's good to come and go as you please. It's on all the televisions here obviously

are you the tea boy ?

Postby Wildey

many people think 4-4 in a best of 17= best of 9

but what has happened to get to 4-4 is the key and why intervals work in snooker.

Robbo has always played catch up but in a 0-0 in a best of 9 he wouldnt and the few hours between sessions is the exciting part of a match when players think about shots they missed or got to make it 4-4.

Postby SnookerFan

Watching this session with a few beers in the pub tonight. :D

I thought it was decent. When it went 2-0 by Judd, I thought Neil would be lucky if he didn't lose this session 6-2, but Neil buckled in.

I'm ordering a pizza for tonight. We got a hell of a game going here....

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:many people think 4-4 in a best of 17= best of 9

but what has happened to get to 4-4 is the key and why intervals work in snooker.

Robbo has always played catch up but in a 0-0 in a best of 9 he wouldnt and the few hours between sessions is the exciting part of a match when players think about shots they missed or got to make it 4-4.

It's just best of 9 Wild. Nothing more. It wouldn't be if the score was different. But it's 4-4 and the last mini-session was quite close. It's not as if one of them had come back to the other one big time and given him loads to think about.
It's a good match, and it's good snooker, but it's just best of 9 now in this match.

Of course it's not always the case. In 2004 WC semis, when Hendry lead 4-1 and Ronnie closed the session all square, it's obvious that the pressure was on Hendry. But not here. Both mini sessions were shared.
Longer matches can be exciting when one player seems to run away with the match and the other one comes back at him but they can just as well be totally uninteresting, like the WC 2008 final or the UK 2007 final. And my personal feeling is that we have 9 of the latter for 1 of the former. Not really a good deal is it?

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:many people think 4-4 in a best of 17= best of 9

It's just best of 9 Wild. Nothing more. It wouldn't be if the score was different. But it's 4-4 and the last mini-session was quite close. It's not as if one of them had come back to the other one big time and given him loads to think about.
It's a good match, and it's good snooker, but it's just best of 9 now in this match.

Of course it's not always the case. In 2004 WC semis, when Hendry lead 4-1 and Ronnie closed the session all square, it's obvious that the pressure was on Hendry. But not here. Both mini sessions were shared.
Longer matches can be exciting when one player seems to run away with the match and the other one comes back at him but they can just as well be totally uninteresting, like the WC 2008 final or the UK 2007 final. And my personal feeling is that we have 9 of the latter for 1 of the former. Not really a good deal is it?

A best of 17 is never the same at as a best of nine, even if it goes to 4-4. :sad:

Postby Tubberlad

Monique

That's like saying that at 8-8, Higgins v Ronnie became a best-of-9 last year, and that what went before was a bit pointless. It wasn't. O'Sullivan's goose was cooked before the final session because he had already lost the last three frames of the second session. That is why session snooker, with all it's fascinations, pisses all over one session snooker for me <ok>

I think Robertson will be the happier player going into tonight's session as Trump has been setting the pace, but has not ploughed ahead. That's the beauty of session snooker: though it's 4-4, I think one player has the slight mental advantage now, and sometimes it's more than slight.

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm ordering a pizza for tonight.

Thanks for the information. I really give a rubbish. :-)

I am waiting for my kebab and chips to be brought home to me. :win:

Greedy bastard.

I will then be drinking as many STellas as I can, before I can hardly walk or talk. :win:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

I screwed up. :-(

I tried to order it over the Dominios Pizza website to arrive at 7:30pm so I could watch snooker. Instad, I ordered it ASAP. :sad:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

I tried to order it over the Dominios Pizza website to arrive at 7:30pm so I could watch snooker. Instad, I ordered it ASAP. :sad:

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

rofl

That rubbish isn't funny. :sad:

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Monique

That's like saying that at 8-8, Higgins v Ronnie became a best-of-9 last year, and that what went before was a bit pointless. It wasn't. O'Sullivan's goose was cooked before the final session because he had already lost the last three frames of the second session. That is why session snooker, with all it's fascinations, pisses all over one session snooker for me <ok>

I think Robertson will be the happier player going into tonight's session as Trump has been setting the pace, but has not ploughed ahead. That's the beauty of session snooker: though it's 4-4, I think one player has the slight mental advantage now, and sometimes it's more than slight.

exactly

4-4 in this instance is minute because nobody really went that far ahead but that changes the dynamic for tonight if say Robbo wins the first 2 frames tonight like hes capable of thats 6/8 for him in the match then judd will have to cope with losing a 2 frame swing.....fascinating thing waiting for a resumption as apose to a one session match.