Topic locked

what do you believe is the reason for increase attendance's ?

Reduction
21%
The Barbican
79%

Total votes : 14

Attendances

Postby Wildey

Its a Shame for me that The Move Back to the Barbican coincided With Reduction in Frames because Crowds has been Good at the Barbican far better than Telford but there's this underlying Belief in BBC Coverage this afternoon that the Reason for that is Reduction or Get a result in one session rather than THE BARBICAN.

so what do you believe is the reason for increase attendance's ?

Re: Attendances

Postby snooky147

All to do with the Barbican, Parrott can spout whatever he wants but he's wrong, and while I'm in this mood.....TO THE BBC...It's all very well to want a reduction in frames so that all the players can get on TV (or that's your excuse anyways) but YOU HAVE TO SHOW THE bucking MATCHES.
Take Saturday, The Higgins v Mcleod game was on and Ding on the other table shown in their entirity on the red button (if you have Sky, which I do BUT, You CANT RECORD WHILE IN INTERACTIVE MODE and Eurosport decided to show Graemes match from 3-3 so I said to myself, not to worry, I'll record it on Snooker Highlights at night or Snooker extra later only for them to show the same bucking matches that were already shown. I am snake hissed off as Eurosport wont be covering tonights match with Robbo from the start either. Oh and I still have the damn flu. What is the point of a flu jab if you get the bucking thing anyway.
Sorry for the language, I am in a mood.

Postby Wildey

Point is having two matches in cubicles wont affect atendancies because you got two matches you cant see without atending coupled that with the fact you got 8 players playing as apose to only 4 per session.

so this bull about people wanting matches over in one session is exactly that load of cockerel and bull.

Postby Bourne

Definitely the exciting new format, it's captured people's imaginations <ok>

Postby Roland

snooky147 wrote:All to do with the Barbican, Parrott can spout whatever he wants but he's wrong, and while I'm in this mood.....TO THE BBC...It's all very well to want a reduction in frames so that all the players can get on TV (or that's your excuse anyways) but YOU HAVE TO SHOW THE bucking MATCHES.
Take Saturday, The Higgins v Mcleod game was on and Ding on the other table shown in their entirity on the red button (if you have Sky, which I do BUT, You CANT RECORD WHILE IN INTERACTIVE MODE and Eurosport decided to show Graemes match from 3-3 so I said to myself, not to worry, I'll record it on Snooker Highlights at night or Snooker extra later only for them to show the same bucking matches that were already shown. I am snake hissed off as Eurosport wont be covering tonights match with Robbo from the start either. Oh and I still have the damn flu. What is the point of a flu jab if you get the bucking thing anyway.

Good post mate

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:All to do with the Barbican, Parrott can spout whatever he wants but he's wrong, and while I'm in this mood.....TO THE BBC...It's all very well to want a reduction in frames so that all the players can get on TV (or that's your excuse anyways) but YOU HAVE TO SHOW THE bucking MATCHES.

Excellent post.

The BBC should read this.

Postby Bourne

With the old format you wouldn't even have had the opportunity to watch the match live in the first place, so just remember that before you bad-mouth the BBC <ok>

Postby rincewind128

I'm convinced that the increase in attendances is due to the move back to York and the Barbican. I'm coming down to York from Glasgow at the weekend to watch, something I wouldn't have considered doing for Telford. York has a lot more going for it, plenty of hotels, b & bs and good pubs. Its on the East Coast Main line, in addition to having direct trains from Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds. There's also a couple of university's in York, and I see World Snooker have been offering discount tickets to students for the afternoon sessions. With regards to the red button, I remember when I had a freeview recording box I was able to record the red button because the red button feeds appeared as seperate channels (something like 303?), but now I can't since now have Virgin media, gutting! They should at least have the 1st hour in the evening on a normal BBC channel, then switch people over to red button, that way more people would know that its on.

Postby SnookerFan

Was I the only one on this site that bothered going to Telford? rofl

Postby Tubberlad

I think the UK has been given a new lease of life this year with a return to York, but sadly this will be put down to the format, which I don't think has anything to do with it.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:With the old format you wouldn't even have had the opportunity to watch the match live in the first place, so just remember that before you bad-mouth the BBC <ok>

this is about attendance at the Barbican so with that in mind wouldn't having 2 matches not on TV be more encouraging for people attending so format has nothing to do with increased attendance from telford.

Postby Bourne

I was responding to Snooky, I shoulda made that clearer.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Was I the only one on this site that bothered going to Telford? rofl

ive been twice for UK and once for the Grand Prix at telford..

only reason i went was it was the nearest venue for me but i never liked it...

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I was responding to Snooky, I shoulda made that clearer.

i just like session snooker better than one session matches theres something exciting about waiting for the resumption at 6-2,5-3 or even 4-4 having a player winning the final 2 frames of the session to pull it level.

Postby PLtheRef

I've spent considerably more on this tournament than I would do even on the World Championships and truthfully the reason is because of the offers on, 3 sessions for 21 pound being an example. Plus with York there is tonnes to do away from the Barbican too.

If World Snooker genuinely believe that the format of 11 frames is why the crowds have looked so good then let's move it to Telford and see whether we get the same response.

Postby PLtheRef

I've spent considerably more on this tournament than I would do even on the World Championships and truthfully the reason is because of the offers on, 3 sessions for 21 pound being an example. Plus with York there is tonnes to do away from the Barbican too.

If World Snooker genuinely believe that the format of 11 frames is why the crowds have looked so good then let's move it to Telford and see whether we get the same response.