Topic locked

Re: What does the UK Championship mean to you?

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:It still means more to me than the Masters, which I haven't seen anyone moaning about it being a 'short' event: more frames, more players, more matches, more TV coverage, longer semis and it has ranking points, absolute no-contest <ok>

Yes, but the prestige of The Masters is based on the elite field, not on length of the matches. UK with shorter matches is like The Masters adding qualifiers. :spot on:

The top 16 are in the UK too you donut, so there's more quality players at the UK than the Masters. No idea why people still use that argument <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:The top 16 are in the UK too you donut, so there's more quality players at the UK than the Masters. No idea why people still use that argument <doh>

<doh>

The Masters is only the top-16 and the odd Wildcard which has been deemed worthy. (And even that's been scrapped now.) The Masters has it's own personality. A USP if you like. This is not based on match length.

The UK has always been marketed as second ranker behind the Worlds, and as such the matches have been longer. The Masters has been promoted as a prestigious invitational. Match length has had nothing to do with it's identity. Image

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:The top 16 are in the UK too you donut, so there's more quality players at the UK than the Masters. No idea why people still use that argument <doh>

<doh>

The Masters is only the top-16 and the odd Wildcard which has been deemed worthy. (And even that's been scrapped now.) The Masters has it's own personality. A USP if you like. This is not based on match length.

The UK has always been marketed as second ranker behind the Worlds, and as such the matches have been longer. The Masters has been promoted as a prestigious invitational. Match length has had nothing to do with it's identity.

Top 16, like every other tournament
No ranking points, on a par with the Shootout in that respect

In an era where we're seeing more and more ranking events, people ain't gona start caring about this exho placed just after xmas which doesn't have any USP.

They shoulda altered the Masters, not the UK <ok>

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:

If you feel that way, why complain that people dislike the change to the UK? :chin:

I'm giving them a sense of perspective :spot on:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:It still means more to me than the Masters, which I haven't seen anyone moaning about it being a 'short' event: more frames, more players, more matches, more TV coverage, longer semis and it has ranking points, absolute no-contest <ok>

The Masters is the only event thats been increased in 30 years.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

The Masters is the only event thats been increased in 30 years.

Er ... Power Snooker ? :chuckle:

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

The UK has always been marketed as second ranker behind the Worlds, and as such the matches have been longer. The Masters has been promoted as a prestigious invitational. Match length has had nothing to do with it's identity.

Top 16, like every other tournament
No ranking points, on a par with the Shootout in that respect

In an era where we're seeing more and more ranking events, people ain't gona start caring about this exho placed just after xmas which doesn't have any USP.

Absolutely bucking spot on <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Stuart Bingham knocking Ronnie out in Telford last year. I didn't expect that to happen.

I was watching the Shaun Murphy match live on the other table, because I thought the Ronnie match was a formality. rofl