Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 32 Discussion!!!!

Postby mishcka

SnookerFan wrote:From the World Snooker website. (Don't worry Sonny, it's from today.)

The Australian has been in superb form in recent weeks, winning two events in the Players Tour Championship series and climbing to No 4 in the world rankings.

Robertson proved his capacity to rise to the big occasion by winning the World Championship last year, but surprisingly he has yet to reach the semi-finals of snooker's second biggest ranking event.

"I do have a poor record in the UK Championship but I don't think there's any reason for that other than coincidence," said the Cambridge-based cueman. "My form has been fantastic recently, I've been very consistent, won a couple of tournaments, and I'm really looking forward to going to York and trying to keep that going in one of our biggest events."

The early-round matches at the UK have been reduced from best-of-17 to best-of-11 frames, but Robertson does not believe his chances will be affected by the change.

"You have to adapt to whatever the format is," said the 29-year-old. "I do enjoy the best of 17s, but on the other hand at least with best-of-11 you know you're playing for a result in one session rather then playing over two sessions.

"The new format means that every match is on a TV table, which is good for the players because some great matches have ended up on the outside tables in previous years.

"There's no dividing wall between the two tables which is ideal for the fans because they can watch both matches. At the Welsh Open last year I was on the other table when Stephen Hendry was making a 147. You can lose focus when something like that is happening so you have to keep concentrating on your own match."

Robertson starts his bid for the £100,000 top prize against Tom Ford on Saturday.

it will be nice if two players on two different tables (obviously) score a maxi at the same time :D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Match Preview:

John Higgins - Rory McLeod:
I can't see Rory really pushing John in this match. McLeod is one of those players who plays well in qualifiers but disappoints at the big venues. He's trying very hard not lose and gets so negative, not only in this years WC but on numerous other occasions (I remember him one time refusing an relatively simple free ball, he stuck the opponent back in and ended up losing the frame). That strategy will get him nowhere against John Higgins who won't have to play at his best tomorrow.

Ding Junhui - Mark Davis:
Ding hasn't done anything great his season so far but I can't see Mark Davis, who also often/always disappoints at the main stages of a tournament, beating him. In fact on one does looking at the prediction thread. In fact Ding very often does well at the UK and he is certainly one of the favourites for the title.

Neil Robertson - Tom Ford:
Ford is capable of beating a top 16 player on a good day but if Robertson plays anywhere near his standard he will win comfortably.

Graeme Dott - Matthew Selt:
Selt is the first qualifier in this preview who actually has a chance to win his match. He made the quarter finals in Australia and Dott's form isn't that predictable (also he's now in his mid 30s already), I think Matthew can cause an upset. By the way, did you know that Dott is provisionally ranked 7. right now, ahead of Ding?

Matthew Stevens - Marcus Campbell:
Let's say it that way: not my favourite match of the day. Campbell is textbook journeyman and might do some damage on a good day. I don't expect Stevens to lose this match though.

Stephen Maguire - Stephen Hendry:
This is a very good match because it is very hard to call. Both players are totally unpredictable form wise. Maguire was very vulnerable at first round matches the lost couple of seasons and Hendry slipped down the rankings due to poor performances and skipped tournaments last season. Both players form fluctuates between greatness and total madness every match.

Postby randam05

mishcka wrote:
randam05 wrote:Actually Bingham-Fu is quite an encounter.

:chin: :chin: ONLY IF FU WINS IT!

mischka = :bowdown:

Best taste in players ever is mischka! Certainly only if Fu wins.. Im not a fan of Bingham at all really and quite big fan of Fu.

Postby mishcka

randam05 wrote:
mishcka wrote:
randam05 wrote:Actually Bingham-Fu is quite an encounter.

:chin: :chin: ONLY IF FU WINS IT!

mischka = :bowdown:

Best taste in players ever is mischka! Certainly only if Fu wins.. Im not a fan of Bingham at all really and quite big fan of Fu.

I dont like Bingham... at all (I wanted to use the word hate, but it is bit strong)
will be rooting for FU with all my voice :D :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = Win/Win situation.

Both can be good players on their day, and I don't mind watching either of them. :spot on:

Though, I've never quite forgiven Bingham for that match he had at The Masters against Steve Davis a few years ago. :grrr:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
I wonder what odds WilliamHill would give on that occurring :gag:

That's your challenge for the week. Find out what odds you can get, and put £10 on it happening. You can only use William Hill.

Good luck, young Smart.

I'm using Coral this week in honour of Alex HURRICANE Higgins. :win:

Postby GJ

COME ON ROBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Funny how all the people who were so enraged about the UK format change are all gona be eagerly tuning in this week and desperate not to miss any of the action <laugh> <ok>

We're still snooker fans, even if we don't like the format change. If it helps, I refused to buy tickets this year, which I usually would have done. :hatoff: