Topic locked

Re: United Kingdom Championship Last 32 Discussion!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How far can Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry go in this tournament?

Is there any chance of either of them getting past the first round?

Hendry: yes
Davis: not a chance

Ronnie might be discouraged after his big loss today. <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:William Hill sponsoring the event this year.

How times have changed when two of Britain's 'big three' bookies (Ladbrokes and William Hill) are sponsoring snooker tournaments.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:

How times have changed when two of Britain's 'big three' bookies (Ladbrokes and William Hill) are sponsoring snooker tournaments.

yeh i was just arguing with folk on faceook there who were coming out with the "cant they get someone other than a betting company as sponsor" line, who cares so long as theres sponsors stumping up cash.

As for the big 3 bookies, well traditionally and on the High St still perhaps (Tote were part of the big 4) but now the likes of Paddy Power, Betfred, Victor Chandler etc are squeezing a larger share of the market, both online and in "real life"

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

yeh i was just arguing with folk on faceook there who were coming out with the "cant they get someone other than a betting company as sponsor" line, who cares so long as theres sponsors stumping up cash.

As for the big 3 bookies, well traditionally and on the High St still perhaps (Tote were part of the big 4) but now the likes of Paddy Power, Betfred, Victor Chandler etc are squeezing a larger share of the market, both online and in "real life"

Well I would say around 80% of horseracing sponsorship comes from bookmakers?

I think Ladbrokes, William Hill and Coral were seen as the big three in Britain traditionally... over here it's probably Paddy Power, Boylesports and Ladbrokes, while Betfair seem to be holding their own online.

Postby Bourne

Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:Betfair are the biggest online lot ain't they ?

Possibly, although Paddy Power would give them a run for their money.

Yeh dee oirish do loike their betting don't dey :limp:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

well the UK was the first snooker tournament to have bookmakers sponsering it back in the early 80s with Coral.

you got to hand it to Barry he gets sponsers...

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:Betfair are the biggest online lot ain't they ?

Possibly, although Paddy Power would give them a run for their money.

Yeh dee oirish do loike their betting don't dey :limp:

yeh especially the greyhounds and trap tree :ahh:

Postby mediter

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

well the UK was the first snooker tournament to have bookmakers sponsering it back in the early 80s with Coral.

you got to hand it to Barry he gets sponsers...

Exactly, now players have a chance to play in tournaments almost week in, week out. No player is going to feel like invincble, which used to be what players had their aim at in the past. Now players can just play the game they love and show their characters ! For Example this PTC 10 semi line-up: Spaceman, Hitman, Higgins with mustache and "is he a bit thinner these days" Stephen Lee :bowdown:

Re: Williamhill.com U K Championship Last 32 Discussion!!!!

Postby Witz78

DAVIS v RONNIE

just who do i support?

the last time id a match up like this where i was split down the middle in terms of loyalties was way back in '92. Anyone remember this Wembley classic?

PS - even if you dont, its the most dramatic 10 mins of your life youll ever see so watch this clip if its the last thing you do.

Postby mishcka

Witz78 wrote:DAVIS v RONNIE

just who do i support?

the last time id a match up like this where i was split down the middle in terms of loyalties was way back in '92. Anyone remember this Wembley classic?

PS - even if you dont, its the most dramatic 10 mins of your life youll ever see so watch this clip if its the last thing you do.

OMG is that shaun Michael????
you just reminded me of my childhood!!! :spot on: :spot on:

Postby Witz78

mishcka wrote:

just who do i support?

yeh it sure is The Heartbreak Kid Shawn "Sexy Boy" Michaels <ok>

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Last 32 Discussion!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Parrott's prediction for first-round match against Steve Davis: "Ronnie is playing at an exceptionally high standard. Steve is not

Parrott's prediction for first-round match against Li Yan: "I've not heard of Li so I can't comment on his form but you would expect Shaun to get in his groove quickly and move through the tournament."

rofl rofl

Postby mishcka

Witz78 wrote:
mishcka wrote:

just who do i support?

yeh it sure is The Heartbreak Kid Shawn "Sexy Boy" Michaels <ok>

I used to have his poster over my bed when I was a kid! honestly!!! was massive fan of Micahels and the Undertaker!! oh and Diesel :love:

Postby SnookerFan

mishcka wrote:
I used to have his poster over my bed when I was a kid! honestly!!! was massive fan of Micahels and the Undertaker!! oh and Diesel :love:

Remember when Diesel and Shawn Michaels split up? :sad: But then Sid attacked Shawn, and Diesel came to save him. :mex:

:-)

Postby mishcka

SnookerFan wrote:
mishcka wrote:

Remember when Diesel and Shawn Michaels split up? :sad: But then Sid attacked Shawn, and Diesel came to save him. :mex:

:-)

is that when Shaun got that back injury? psycho sid was bad bad boy!
maybe we should have wrestling-snooker compo; like boxing-chess: one frame of snooker followed by one round of wrestling then back to snooker again!

Postby SnookerFan

mishcka wrote:is that when Shaun got that back injury? psycho sid was bad bad boy!
maybe we should have wrestling-snooker compo; like boxing-chess: one frame of snooker followed by one round of wrestling then back to snooker again!

Would the wrestling bit have a shot-clock?