Topic locked

Re: United Kingdom Championship Qualifying !!!

Postby hendry_fan

Steve Davis v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Holly mackerel!!!!-

What a coincidence,i was just thinkin yesterday,it,s been a long time since Davis talked about Ronnie!,ah well,i,m sure he,ll have something to say after his match with him at the UK . :chuckle: ;-)

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 9th of November

12pm

Barry Hawkins 2-6 Rory McLeod
Stephen Hendry 6-2 Gerard Greene
Andrew Higginson 2-6 Steve Davis
Dominic Dale 6-2 Nigel Bond
Mark Davis 6-2 Michael White
Marcus Campbell 6-3 Ben Woollaston
Mark King 4-6 Matthew Selt
Tom Ford 6-0 Xiao Guodong

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Casey wrote:Hendry :hatoff:

Hendry was extremely lucky to be against a particularly poor Gerard Greene because himself didn't play well at all, except for the odd patch.

yes he was lucky but i couldnt give a flying buck the right man won now gun down that poor excuse of a player maguire.

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:Steve Davis v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Holly mackerel!!!!-

What a coincidence,i was just thinkin yesterday,it,s been a long time since Davis talked about Ronnie!,ah well,i,m sure he,ll have something to say after his match with him at the UK . :chuckle: ;-)

It will be a good match of course, I´m looking forward to it. :-) I´m sure Steve will talk about his match in the upcoming days and obviously after the match itself. I do think that Ronnie will win, but, even as a Ronnie fan, I must say that if he isn´t on his toes in that match he could possibly get beat, an inspired Steve Davis may well win that one, but I suspect not though. (when was his last win against Ronnie? 1997 Masters? LOL :chin: Premier League?) Ronnie of course has the upmost respect for him and will surely play well, defend when he has to and not go for some crazy, ridiculous shots, as he often does against weaker opposition.. :chin: :john:

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:If Li Yan beats Fergal O'Brien tonight he will become the first of this seasons Q School/New Pros to reach the top 64.

And would put Andy Hicks out of the top 64, and without being in one of the Order of Merit spots to re-gain a tour place that way (Kyren Wilson would then be in the 8th position of non top 64 players on the order of merit).

Postby Andre147

Wild wrote:Steve not scoring enough when he gets in Ronnie will have to be pretty dam bad to lose that one.

Yes I honestly can´t see a way of Ronnie to lose that match, but who knows.... Just read the interview in the world Snooker website, this is what Steve had to say:

"You can't ask for more than a match against Ronnie at the UK. It's what we play for. Plus it gives me a day when I don't have to sit next to John Parrott!"

"It was nervy and horrible today, I was all over the place, but Andrew was even worse. You just want to get to the venue. It's enjoyable grafting away and I don't get upset when I'm playing rubbish stuff.

"When I first dropped into the qualifiers, I just got stuck in and didn't say 'I'm not supposed to be here' - and I think Stephen (Hendry) will be the same. He's got nothing to worry about as long as he's optimistic and get's his attitude right. He's bound to win some and lose some."

Very true from steve there, hendry doesn´t not have to be too upset to be at the qualifiers, if he starts winning some games (which he already has against Gerard) the rankings will take care of themselves and soon he could be back at the top 16 where he belongs.. I don´t expect him to win against Maguire, but only time will tell... :-)

Postby Wildey

Hendry played badly today regarding breakbuilding however he did change his game he was far more negative in his aproach and also he was the one that messed up the table and used his experiance to beat Gerard Greene.

his safety was not pin point all the time there was some he caught to thick but on the whole Hendry played the Grinding game pretty tight to win.

Postby Witz78

Awesome for the Nugget, yet again when hes been wrote off as was the case earlier in the season when everyone had him down as a stick on to be relegated off the tour and into retirement, hes embraced the PTCs and the benefit of this form has continued on this week.

His form is getting back towards what it was 3 or 4 years ago when he was still in the top 16, and its all down to attitude and desire as its clear hes in love with the game again and practicing a lot again.

His new target of still being a pro when hes 60 plus always being lower ranked than his age is a new incentive for him to keep on playing and fair play to him for having the motivation after all hes done.

Should be an INTERESTING game v Ronnie, infact id go as far to say that Davis in total relaxed mode and in determined mood could easily get under Ronnies skin and frustrate him so its not the walkover many people are predicting.

Well done to Hendry too for his win, wasnt pretty by all accounts but qualifyings just about getting over the line. With no pressure in round 1 of only having minimum points he can relax to an extent and certainly has a chance v Maguire, though it depends which Maguire turns up. I do feel (and ive been saying this for a while mind you) that Maguire has to be due a return to form and a good run in a tournament, his attitude of late has been stinking though.

Lastly very dissapointing to see Guodong, White and Woollaston all pretty much roll over to their journeymen opponents.

Postby PLtheRef

The thing now is that as Stephen comes to[*] York as a qualifier, he will not have the risk of taking half ranking points as a first round loser.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:The thing now is that as Stephen comes to[*] York as a qualifier, he will not have the risk of taking half ranking points as a first round loser.

and Davis and Rory did his ranking no harm by knocking out Hawkins and Higginson.

i think hendry can beat maguire in york playing like he did today but i expect him to play a tad better in york the pressure is still very much on his shoulders today but as you say that will be the most relaxing last 32 match hes played in for some time knowing he will have full points if he loses as apose to half..

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:

Hendry was extremely lucky to be against a particularly poor Gerard Greene because himself didn't play well at all, except for the odd patch.

Why was he lucky? He has only lost to two non top 16 players in ranking events in the last 2 and a half years.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

Why was he lucky? He has only lost to two non top 16 players in ranking events in the last 2 and a half years.

it was not pretty but when Davis wins matches thats not pretty he is praised when hendry does it it was the other players fault <doh>

Postby Wildey

7pm

Jamie Cope 2-2 Joe Jogia
Ricky Walden 2-2 Jamie Jones streaming
Ken Doherty 3-1 Peter Lines streaming
Fergal O'Brien 1-3 Li Yan
Peter Ebdon 2-2 Robert Milkins
Joe Perry 2-2 Adrian Gunnell
Marco Fu 0-2 Anthony Hamilton
Ryan Day 6-0 Jamie Burnett

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

PTCs are ranking events too ya know :D

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

PTCs are ranking events too ya know :D

BS :emb:

Postby Wildey

7pm

Jamie Cope 3-6 Joe Jogia
Ricky Walden 6-2 Jamie Jones
Ken Doherty 5-4 Peter Lines streaming
Fergal O'Brien 2-6 Li Yan
Peter Ebdon 3-6 Robert Milkins
Joe Perry 4-6 Adrian Gunnell
Marco Fu 4-4 Anthony Hamilton
Ryan Day 6-0 Jamie Burnett

Postby Roland

Milkins :D

Anyone watching Lines v Doherty on the livestream? I joined at the start of frame 9 with Doherty 5-3 up and a very good century from Lines to get to 5-4 and he's in again in the next.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:Milkins :D

Anyone watching Lines v Doherty on the livestream? I joined at the start of frame 9 with Doherty 5-3 up and a very good century from Lines to get to 5-4 and he's in again in the next.

I am, 5-5 now, you'd fancy Lines to win this if he can get in