Topic locked

Re: New Format For UK Championship----CONFIRMATION !!!!

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Jeez i've gone over this so many times ... they treat it like just another ranking event, they place it in a horrible spot in the calendar before the Worlds when a lot of players aren't bothered, it's the national ranking event of the country which has more viewers than any other, the up and coming country in world sport. It should be moulded into the third major ahead of the Masters.

they cant even get the majors as majors how the buck can they turn another a 3rd major. <doh> <doh> <doh>

100k prize for winner = a major regardless of the format <ok>

high class brothel is a major snooker event as long as there's some cues and a bow tie in the building <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:100k prize for winner = a major regardless of the format <ok>

There's a difference between being prestigious and being lucrative.

The prize money only really makes a difference, to the players. Not people watching. Personally, I don't care buck what the prize money is. Yes, I want the players to be well paid for what they do or else it'll drive players away. But I don't decide how prestigious a tournament is by looking at the prize money on offer across the tournament either.

When it comes to prestige, history plays a part in tournaments. The longer, and further back a tournament runs, the more the players have grown up watching it and remembering moments from it. Add to that the fact that The UK has always been a long frame tournament, meaning you have to play well consistently to win it. It's a marathon, so it tests skill and endurance.

Yes, the prize money is good for the players who win it, and of course they want to win as much prize money as possible. They are human. But if you set up a pot black style tournament, then offered a million pounds to the winner, don't make it a prestigious tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:with the crappy prize money on offer there it doesnt deserve elevated status :no:

Looking at it a bit backwards. The more prestigious a tournament is, the more people will come and the more money they will be prepared to pay for tickets. The more prestigious a tournament becomes, the more money it makes, the more sponsors are willing to pay and the more prize money one can offer.

Postby snooky147

So Hearn has indeed broken his word. It is a sad day for the UK and the beginning of the end for the World Championship unless we ALL make our voices heard on that front. I know I will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

<laugh> <laugh>

Dott up before a disciplinary committee because a relative slagged off the management <laugh>

Postby Bourne

snooky147 wrote:So Hearn has indeed broken his word. It is a sad day for the UK and the beginning of the end for the World Championship unless we ALL make our voices heard on that front. I know I will.

He won't touch the Worlds <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

<laugh> <laugh>

Dott up before a disciplinary committee because a relative slagged off the management <laugh>

BARRY HEARN IS A PATHETIC SCUMBAG buck, WHO SHOULD BE KILLED!

ps. These are the exact words of every player that I don't like.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:So Hearn has indeed broken his word. It is a sad day for the UK and the beginning of the end for the World Championship unless we ALL make our voices heard on that front. I know I will.

ill tell you this for nothing the easier the ride Barry will get over this the easier he will see reducing the World.....

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

are you this naive ????

Steve Davis has already tested the water during the bloody world open this is just another step on that quest and the easier he will get this change he will be planning the next move.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

are you this naive ????

Steve Davis has already tested the water during the bloody world open this is just another step on that quest and the easier he will get this change he will be planning the next move.

No i'm just getting a sense of perspective back <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

are you this naive ????

No i'm just getting a sense of perspective back <ok>

what perspective....

i see let sausage heads get away with whatever they want and build up confidence for the ultimate rubbish.

Postby SnookerFan

Well, I've e-mailed World Snooker again. They'll be getting sick of me. rofl I've tried to make my point in a non-Wild way. There's no point e-mailing them and coming across like a gibbering wreck, they'll just ignore my complaint.

Anyway, here is what I wrote;

Dear World Snooker,

I'm writing to to inform you of my disappointment that the UK Championship has had it's matches shortened. I understand that the objective is to get every match on television, which is of course a very worthy idea. However, I feel the prestige of the tournament has been diminished due to the matches being shortened. The UK is supposed to be second only to the World Championship in terms of size, and prestige. However, the matches being shortened now make it feel like the tournament is the same as any other ranking tournament. Whereas before, though some decent matches went untelevised, the tournament itself felt like a cut above the others.

It's not that the format is inherently bad. I just feel it is wrong to shorten what was, until now, the second most prestigious tournament of the year. As somebody who has brought tickets for the tournament for the last three years in Telford, and was also planning on travelling to the tournament in York this year, I have decided against buying tickets purely because of the shortening of the matches.

Regards,

Postby Wildey

WELL THIS IS MY WAY

Barry Hearn said and i quote "i will not be touching the Majors" well WHAT THE HELL IS THIS http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 47,00.html

he has just shown himself up to be a lying cheating scum.

Players and Fans are not happy im spitting nails over this.... THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP has been dying for years well done mr hearn you have finished the job. BLODDY IDIOT.

Kind Regards

E JONES.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:WELL THIS IS MY WAY

Barry Hearn said and i quote "i will not be touching the Majors" well WHAT THE HELL IS THIS http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 47,00.html

he has just shown himself up to be a lying cheating scum.

Players and Fans are not happy im spitting nails over this.... THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP has been dying for years well done mr hearn you have finished the job. BLODDY IDIOT.

Kind Regards

E JONES.

Yeah. See, they'll probably just delete that thinking your a nutcase. rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

A tournament that lasts nine days and has only 32 players shouldn't have anybody playing in cubicles. There have been players who have made the quarter finals in recent years without appearing in front of cameras. I'd have cut the quater finals to best of 11 too and used the extra day saved to have a best of 31 final.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:A tournament that lasts nine days and has only 32 players shouldn't have anybody playing in cubicles. There have been players who have made the quarter finals in recent years without appearing in front of cameras. I'd have cut the quater finals to best of 11 too and used the extra day saved to have a best of 31 final.

There are drawbacks on both sides, you're right. In an ideal world everybody would be on television in every match. I bet there are qualifiers who qualify for the UK, then wonder why they bother, because they get whacked in a cubicle. It's certainly not a black and white issue.

What I will say, though, is we've had the Grand Prix shortened to the World Open. I appreciate I was practically unique in my opinion that the World Open was a duff event. Also, early round matches at the Welsh Open were shortened. Again, this was done for a reason. But where is it going to end? It would be cheaper if they shortened The Crucible, so there was only two sessions a day, not three. There have been rumblings on BBC commentary almost since Hearn took over about shortening The Crucible.

We don't want to have to reach a point where this starts happening because World Snooker haven't realised how much love there is for longer frame matches.

Postby gallantrabbit

Some of you lot should nreally get back in yer prams. OK I'd prefer the 17 framers, but also think the 11s work.
Hearn might appear all powerful but there's no doubt BBC have told him his fortune here.
Snooker's time for dictating the rules has long gone and it'll take an awful long time to get it back.
IMO it won't really affect the prestige AND after last year's World championship I don't think even the Beeb would change the format, although guaranteeing as many close-fought nail biters every year would be impossible.
Snookerfan go buy your tickets. You can't really tell me that a handful of extra frames make all that much difference.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabit

The BBC are wrong

as Dave Hendon put it its just another Kick in the Balls of the Event.

Theres no prestige there now Winning it wont class you alongside Greats of the Past like Steve Davis even Hendry only won 2 Genuine UK and as for Ronnie and Higgins they only won poor imitations and now it gets worst its a Ranking Event up there with the Grand Prix the BBC Wanted Rid of.

How it worked out its the UK and not The Grand Prix thats been axed.

Postby gallantrabbit

WIld - in your and my eyes the BBC are wrong, but society has changed and most people don't want long drawn out affairs in anything anymore. Society is very impatient in general. And that's what the BBC is basing its thinking on.We see it in the playing side of the game too. How many people play pool on a weekly basis for a laugh? Millions cos it's quick and it's easier to make something happen than on those 'monstrous' 12 footers.
We have to resell the game to the public after years of neglect. If we can do that and start getting the kids playing and the clubs blossoming again, then one day the BBC might beg snooker to add one or two more longer formaters. For now though it's short and bite sized and miles away from the 1983 Davis 15-Higgins 16, and if that's the way it has to be then so be it. Rather that than seeing the game curl up and die a la Sir Rodney...

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:WIld - in your and my eyes the BBC are wrong, but society has changed and most people don't want long drawn out affairs in anything anymore. Society is very impatient in general. And that's what the BBC is basing its thinking on.We see it in the playing side of the game too. How many people play pool on a weekly basis for a laugh? Millions cos it's quick and it's easier to make something happen than on those 'monstrous' 12 footers.
We have to resell the game to the public after years of neglect. If we can do that and start getting the kids playing and the clubs blossoming again, then one day the BBC might beg snooker to add one or two more longer formaters. For now though it's short and bite sized and miles away from the 1983 Davis 15-Higgins 16, and if that's the way it has to be then so be it. Rather that than seeing the game curl up and die a la Sir Rodney...

You sit down in the afternoon watching snooker then when a 8 frame session ends at 5-3 thats it for the afternoon but now there's potential 3 frames to be played so best of 11 is actually longer.

Postby Wildey

another point Gallant there's nothing at all to suggest shorter=what people want its not it will only hasten the death of genuine matches and we end up a laughing stock of a sport.

Postby snooky147

gallantrabbit wrote:Some of you lot should nreally get back in yer prams. OK I'd prefer the 17 framers, but also think the 11s work.
Hearn might appear all powerful but there's no doubt BBC have told him his fortune here.
Snooker's time for dictating the rules has long gone and it'll take an awful long time to get it back.
IMO it won't really affect the prestige AND after last year's World championship I don't think even the Beeb would change the format, although guaranteeing as many close-fought nail biters every year would be impossible.
Snookerfan go buy your tickets. You can't really tell me that a handful of extra frames make all that much difference.

Ok say we did get back in our prams and just blindly followed. What's next?. Sit in those same prams while he destroys the format of the World?, oh wait a minute, they all sat in their prams for that so let's make the game more of a laughing stock and shorten matches still further. He should consider that his new golden boy Judd Trump took 90 seconds to 2 minutes or more on some shots so what's he going to do about that?. There are times when you need to take the time, so no criticism for Trump please but Hearn want's to turn the Game onto wham bang and another frame gone, so no, I for one will NOT get back in my pram.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Some of you lot should nreally get back in yer prams. OK I'd prefer the 17 framers, but also think the 11s work.

Ok say we did get back in our prams and just blindly followed. What's next?. Sit in those same prams while he destroys the format of the World?, oh wait a minute, they all sat in their prams for that so let's make the game more of a laughing stock and shorten matches still further. He should consider that his new golden boy Judd Trump took 90 seconds to 2 minutes or more on some shots so what's he going to do about that?. There are times when you need to take the time, so no criticism for Trump please but Hearn want's to turn the Game onto wham bang and another frame gone, so no, I for one will NOT get back in my pram.

yes there comes a time when you have to put down a dog that keeps biting people or it will keep going until it kills.