Topic locked

Re: Brazilian Masters - bits and bobs

Postby SnookerFan

When we say they aren't leaving the hotel, do we mean they aren't practising? I can see that may be some indication how seriously they are taking the tournament, if you never see them on the practice table. Or is the problem they never leave the hotel after they've been knocked out.

It's just the way we're saying it, it sounds like we're chastising them for not going down the pub, or to the cinema, or something. rofl
Last edited by SnookerFan on 20 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:When we say they aren't leaving the hotel, do we mean they aren't practising? I can see that may be some indication how seriously they are taking the tournament, if you never see them on the practice table.

It's just the way we're saying it, it sounds like we're chastising them for not going down the pub, or to the cinema, or something. rofl

no point going down the club in essex go clubbing in melbourne <ok>

especially this week there's no tournaments until Gloucester.....

Bingham went sight seeing other Day he Ended up having Coffee with Paul Robinson.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:When we say they aren't leaving the hotel, do we mean they aren't practising? I can see that may be some indication how seriously they are taking the tournament, if you never see them on the practice table.

Ah, you beat my cunning edit. :grrr:

It'd make a really crap final, if both players didn't get in to 4am, wouldn't it? rofl

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ah, you beat my cunning edit. :grrr:

It'd make a really crap final, if both players didn't get in to 4am, wouldn't it? rofl

NOT WHILE THEY IN THE EVENT LOL

you got players losing, out the door, bags packed in a taxi and home.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
you got players losing, out the door, bags packed in a taxi and home.

I get that. I was just joshing, because it seemed like a weird complaint that they aren't leaving the hotel. It's like; "They might have a match in the morning." <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I thought you'd be against that, anyway Wild. You always struck me as somebody who thought if a snooker player was in a good mood after losing, they weren't dedicated enough. Hitting the beach an hour or so after losing, I didn't think would be your thing.

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:just show the world you want to be there.

the likes of trump 21 and single his next match is on 8th of August Christ few days around bendigo wouldn't hurt. but no he goes home.

unless there's going to be a IBIZA Masters lets do your party in Australia <ok>

There is no point arguing with any of you on this. You are all in your own little Snooker orientated world. :emb:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I thought you'd be against that, anyway Wild. You always struck me as somebody who thought if a snooker player was in a good mood after losing, they weren't dedicated enough. Hitting the beach an hour or so after losing, I didn't think would be your thing.

but when you go in to new territory its more than playing a tournament its a package last thing i want for australians or brazilians to think what a bunch of miserable bunch cant wait to go home from our country why did we bother.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
Wild wrote:just show the world you want to be there.

the likes of trump 21 and single his next match is on 8th of August Christ few days around bendigo wouldn't hurt. but no he goes home.

unless there's going to be a IBIZA Masters lets do your party in Australia <ok>

There is no point arguing with any of you on this. You are all in your own little Snooker orientated world. :emb:

its their world it puts food in the mouth of their children if they wont pick up their socks it will be a minimum wage window cleaning round.

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:There is no point arguing with any of you on this. You are all in your own little Snooker orientated world. :emb:

I kind of agree with what Wild is saying, to an extent. Some fun is allowed, even in a sport such as snooker where copius amounts of practice is needed. If you do too much living it up, you'll soon see how your rankings affected. But nowt wrong with turning it into a bit of a holiday after being knocked out. See it as kind of a way of getting the defeat out of your mind before the next tournament.

However, there's no right way of doing this. It's like revision for exams. People find different ways more effective for themselves personally, and each player is different. If a player wishes to see Australia for a couple of days after losing, then there's no harm. If they would rather go home to see family and friends, or go away somewhere else for a few days, it's no big deal.

I don't really see how long they stay in Australia after losing is really that much of a huge deal.

Postby Wildey

im not saying living it up you dont have to get blotto and end up in the gutter but its all promotion at the end of the day to increase awareness and interest so that there's more money to splash about in future.

sight seeing enjoy the country a bit show you want to be there show that you want snooker in Australia or anywhere else. its obvious they have time surely there was nothing in the diary for the week because you was hoping to win the tournament :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:im not saying living it up you dont have to get blotto and end up in the gutter but its all promotion at the end of the day to increase awareness and interest so that there's more money to splash about in future.

sight seeing enjoy the country a bit show you want to be there show that you want snooker in Australia or anywhere else. its obvious they have time surely there was nothing in the diary for the week because you was hoping to win the tournament :chin:

Certainly wouldn't hurt to do PR for an additional day. Though, you can understand wanting to get back to see your loved ones if you've been travelling for a few weeks. Certainly the players who weren't in World Cup or Wuxi Classic, it wouldn't kill them. Especially as snooker needs to do all it can to attract crowds.

Though, it might depend on other things. Promotion is Hearn's job, playing snooker is the players job. Maybe Hearn doesn't feel the need to have them hanging about in Australia.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:im not saying living it up you dont have to get blotto and end up in the gutter but its all promotion at the end of the day to increase awareness and interest so that there's more money to splash about in future.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to do PR for an additional day. Though, you can understand wanting to get back to see your loved ones if you've been travelling for a few weeks. Certainly the players who weren't in World Cup or Wuxi Classic, it wouldn't kill them. Especially as snooker needs to do all it can to attract crowds.

Though, it might depend on other things. Promotion is Hearn's job, playing snooker is the players job. Maybe Hearn doesn't feel the need to have them hanging about in Australia.

no promotion is not Hearns job its everyone s job Barry can sell the share back to them and tell them to go to hell and he will move on in his life with Darts,Football etc..

yes it is understandably you want to get back....i understand that but there's a bigger picture here.

Postby Sarah Mount

I agree with some of what has been said and disagree with others but just thought I would add a couple of bits of info. The reason why a lot of players don't stay on at a venue once they have lost is because they HATE losing! As you can imagine, to be a professional sports person you have to be extremely competitive. They are often gracious in defeat but are still bitterly disappointed. I have been at venues in the UK when a player has lost at around 11pm and have come off the table wanting to go straight home. In general, they just want to get away and try to forget about it. I imagine, being so far from home and knowing the journey you face getting back, the desire to leave for home asap is even stronger. Many of the players I know use the excitement of getting home to their partners and children to minimise the hurt of losing. It makes sense really.

I know of players who have taken the opportunity to visit places like the Great Wall of China whilst away and some prefer to get their practice in and then keep themselves occupied with non-snooker related activities especially if they have a few days between matches. Even when we were in Glasgow once for the Grand Prix with Rob Milkins we went for a day out at a local Aquarium to get away from the venue and the snooker for a bit. There could be lots of these sorts of trips going on that we don't hear about.

I know for China, the players have flights provided which is fantastic and much appreciated. The return flights are booked based on the number of players due to exit on each day with those who lose getting the next flight. They don't have to take this flight but it costs them out of their own pocket if they decide to change it for any reason so generally players get the free flight home to minimise their expenses.

I know it's been discussed before but the expenses in snooker are very high. Of course the potential to earn a great salary is there too but to get the best salary they can, they have to watch the expenses do not run away from them. Everyone, regardless of their job tries to keep their expenses down to ensure as much of their salary as possible is going into their pockets. Why spend £10 a day getting a taxi to work if you can get the bus for £2? It all mounts up over the year/season so every little saving makes a difference.

Finally, I think that players will generally try not to do too much at the major ranking events as they prefer to rest and prepare for their games due the importance of the outcome for ranking points. At PTC events, the days are so busy that they generally don't have time. During events that have less at stake such as our Pink Ribbon event, it was no secret that a number of players headed out into Gloucester on the Saturday to have as good a time as is possible in Gloucester of a night time! A good, and late night, was had by all but I know some of those who went out would not have dreamt of doing it during a ranking event. The Pink Ribbon is a fun event (hopefully) in which we want players to enjoy the whole weekend and it's not just about the snooker. In fact, during the first Pink Ribbon event, one player (who shall remain nameless) called home to say he would be staying in Glos over night as he was still in the tournament, despite having been knocked out earlier that day. So there are players not necessarily in a rush to get home all the time but we just don't hear about it!

Postby Wildey

i can understand that but the Carter interview was more "im glad i lost i can now go home" if you care you have lost thats promotion in itself that you care about the event.....coming over as im not bothered not good is it.

Postby Sarah Mount

Wild wrote:i can understand that but the Carter interview was more "im glad i lost i can now go home" if you care you have lost thats promotion in itself that you care about the event.....coming over as im not bothered not good is it.

I haven't read the Carter interview and have never spoken to him before other than a hello in passing. In my experience, players are very disappointed when they lose and that is what my info is based on. It does wear off after a while but it can take a looooong time!

Postby gallantrabbit

Well Mr Bingham has gone out there to win matches, money and nappies for his missus to change...ouch sexism...
All I can say is that the players will have to do a little more than turn up and play a few decent frames to make any impression on the Brazilian market.
These fellows should be bending over backwards for Hearn, look what he's given them.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Well Mr Bingham has gone out there to win matches, money and nappies for his missus to change...ouch sexism...
All I can say is that the players will have to do a little more than turn up and play a few decent frames to make any impression on the Brazilian market.
These fellows should be bending over backwards for Hearn, look what he's given them.

Yeah, I don't like this idea that they just turn up, buck about and go home. If that's your attitude you shouldn't be a professional.

Postby Witz78

i think snookys not quite getting part of what i/we meant

with regards to players not leaving the hotel, that was Hendon suggesting that a lot of the players during the event, whilst there still in the tournament instead of doing stuff like sampling the local culture, sightseeing or just getting out and about and making the most of their time somewhere different, they sit holed up in their hotel rooms and basically they could be in the Australian Open or the Antarctic Open but the players would be none the wiser.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:i think snookys not quite getting part of what i/we meant

with regards to players not leaving the hotel, that was Hendon suggesting that a lot of the players during the event, whilst there still in the tournament instead of doing stuff like sampling the local culture, sightseeing or just getting out and about and making the most of their time somewhere different, they sit holed up in their hotel rooms and basically they could be in the Australian Open or the Antarctic Open but the players would be none the wiser.

Does that really matter? Isn't it the players choice if they go out and see stuff or not. Some of them might not want to do that sort of thing when playing in a professional tournament. I can't see why that's this big of an issue.

Postby gallantrabbit

Snookerfan - it shows that they are embracing the local culture and appreciating Australia or wherever else they are. It's giving a little back to the country and the sponsors in showing that they want to be there, rather than "I'd rather play all my matches in Romford" bullocks. It gets sponsors on snooker''s side and it encourages sponssors to come back for more.
Do these guys want to come back to Australia? Do they want to play for 100k next time out rather than 60k? The answer to both of these should be yes, so now it's time for the players to give Hearn a heelping hand and do some personal and snooker marketing and even if Carter does want to get home to his boy, (quite understandable) don't bucking say it in an aftermatch interview; smile say how wonderful Australia and the sponsors are and then call a taxi. It ain't fuccking rocket science.

Postby GJ

gallant

when is the brazil event ?

Postby GJ

gallantrabbit wrote:apologies for the extra c there. Not intentional.

From the 17th Sep GJ. Anyone gonna meet me there?

cheers

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:i think snookys not quite getting part of what i/we meant

I get exactly what you mean mate but that's a personal preference of most players it seems. Where you and some others posting on here are wrong is the assumption that these players simply dont do anything for the game and that They should make sacrifices to ensure the continued growth of the game throughout the world. I repeat....99.9% of the players would travel to the end of the planet and back if it was financially feasible. I am not talking fortunes here but just enough to justify the weeks away from home and family, enough to pay the bills etc and with the new policy of the players paying their own way in foreign events and now apparently the Brazil INVITATION event this is getting harder to do and god knows how the lower ranked players are going to manage, especially if they start pulling prize money from their rounds to boost that last 32 stage because that round needs to be funded better to accomodate flights and hotels.
It is difficult, it's NOT a lack of respect or a I cant be bothered attitude, it's just difficult and partying, I'm afraid just does not come into it for most.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Snookerfan - it shows that they are embracing the local culture and appreciating Australia or wherever else they are. It's giving a little back to the country and the sponsors in showing that they want to be there, rather than "I'd rather play all my matches in Romford" bullocks. It gets sponsors on snooker''s side and it encourages sponssors to come back for more.
Do these guys want to come back to Australia? Do they want to play for 100k next time out rather than 60k? The answer to both of these should be yes, so now it's time for the players to give Hearn a heelping hand and do some personal and snooker marketing and even if Carter does want to get home to his boy, (quite understandable) don't bucking say it in an aftermatch interview; smile say how wonderful Australia and the sponsors are and then call a taxi. It ain't fuccking rocket science.

Thats the point perception is everything.

as a fan wanting to see snooker grow get bigger get more money make traveling worth while it worries me the attitude of some players and the lack of understanding whats needed for that to happen.

it will not happen overnight money will not fall out of trees it will take a hell of a lot of time with players committed to make it happen.

Postby snooky147

Perception, as you say is everything mate. I agree and thats why at every foreign event, including Brazil time is allocated for the players to promote the game, usually a full day as is the case with China, so you cant say they do nothing. They do their job. Re Carter's comments though, I agree it was not the right thing to say but I can imagine his mindset though that was of his own making as he CHOSE to go to Wuxi, The World Cup and Australia so I do agree his comments were stupid.

Postby gallantrabbit

Also snooky you have to remember that this is a work in progress. Do you think Hearn wants to give players 4 aussie grand for travelling all that way? Course not but you don't pull rabbits out of hats and he is going the right way in trying to globalize the game. That way, even if for financial reasons, if there's a recession in the UK you can push the game and squeeze sponsors more in other countries.
My argument is that some players have short memories and 2 years ago this game was struggling for breath. So my attitude is that you applaud the players like Murphy, Selby, Marcus Campbell etc etc for deciding to play in every event they can, to yes win prize money, but also to promote the game in new markets and if that means putting in a little more effort to talk to people, leave hotel rooms, visit a site or two and be seen, then that is what they must do. There will be direct and indirect benefits for them.

Postby snooky147

gallantrabbit wrote:Also snooky you have to remember that this is a work in progress. Do you think Hearn wants to give players 4 aussie grand for travelling all that way? Course not but you don't pull rabbits out of hats and he is going the right way in trying to globalize the game. That way, even if for financial reasons, if there's a recession in the UK you can push the game and squeeze sponsors more in other countries.
My argument is that some players have short memories and 2 years ago this game was struggling for breath. So my attitude is that you applaud the players like Murphy, Selby, Marcus Campbell etc etc for deciding to play in every event they can, to yes win prize money, but also to promote the game in new markets and if that means putting in a little more effort to talk to people, leave hotel rooms, visit a site or two and be seen, then that is what they must do. There will be direct and indirect benefits for them.

:chuckle: :huh: That's a good one mate, so that's what you think they are doing over there? :fart:
Yes I know it's a work in progress and yes I know he is probably going about things the right way, but players, a lot of them, whether they have families or not will weigh up travelling, expenses and reimbursement and decide whether to attend these things. I am not saying pay them 20 grand a pop or the like but for gods sake make it worth their while.

Postby SnookerFan

We do like to blow things out of proportion on this site sometimes. rofl Some players didn't leave their hotels when not playing, and we make a big argument over it.