Topic locked

Re: Brazilian Masters - bits and bobs

Postby gallantrabbit

snooky147 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Also snooky you have to remember that this is a work in progress. Do you think Hearn wants to give players 4 aussie grand for travelling all that way? Course not but you don't pull rabbits out of hats and he is going the right way in trying to globalize the game. That way, even if for financial reasons, if there's a recession in the UK you can push the game and squeeze sponsors more in other countries.
My argument is that some players have short memories and 2 years ago this game was struggling for breath. So my attitude is that you applaud the players like Murphy, Selby, Marcus Campbell etc etc for deciding to play in every event they can, to yes win prize money, but also to promote the game in new markets and if that means putting in a little more effort to talk to people, leave hotel rooms, visit a site or two and be seen, then that is what they must do. There will be direct and indirect benefits for them.

:chuckle: :huh: That's a good one mate, so that's what you think they are doing over there? :fart:
Yes I know it's a work in progress and yes I know he is probably going about things the right way, but players, a lot of them, whether they have families or not will weigh up travelling, expenses and reimbursement and decide whether to attend these things. I am not saying pay them 20 grand a pop or the like but for gods sake make it worth their while.

No that's what I think they SHOULD be doing over there when they get half a day off.
You sound as naive as probably most snooker players. Do you think Hearn can just pay them what he wants? Have you ever heard of a budget or a balance sheet. Can the game of snooker go from chins on the floor to bumber payouts for last 32 losers? Course it can't, which is why I have faith in Hearn and why he needs the players to do their bit to PROMOTE their game and their LIVING.

Postby gallantrabbit

Nice quote from a losing Matthew Stevens on the very same subject: "I'm not too tired and I'm not one of these people making excuses about the travelling and that's why they haven't played well.

"I hate these babies that say 'I can't wait to get home'. We're snooker players, this is our job and we've all asked for more tournaments and, at the end of the day, we've got more tournaments.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:fart: to Ali Carter and the like.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

In fairness to Carter all he said is that he wasn't motivated and wanted to be home with his family. The old way under Rod the Plod was bad but that was the sport Carter emerged in and was used to so it's a big transition to have to spend much of the summer when his children will be off school in Asia. He wasn't complaining about there being too many events so Stevens was talking though his bottom on that one. The problem is that there's about 10-15 years of changes all coming on top of each other. Things like rolling rankings and minor ranking events should have been phased in during the late 90's/early 2000's. The next generation of players will be able to cope better.

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:In fairness to Carter all he said is that he wasn't motivated and wanted to be home with his family. The old way under Rod the Plod was bad but that was the sport Carter emerged in and was used to so it's a big transition to have to spend much of the summer when his children will be off school in Asia. He wasn't complaining about there being too many events so Stevens was talking though his bottom on that one. The problem is that there's about 10-15 years of changes all coming on top of each other. Things like rolling rankings and minor ranking events should have been phased in during the late 90's/early 2000's. The next generation of players will be able to cope better.

if he didnt want to be away from home for so long, then he should have sacrified the Wuxi, the least important of the 3 events he played in.

Stevens comments were clearly directed at Carter in the main part, and Carters comments were totally wrong to relay into the public domain.

the players have to get used to all these changes happening in the game ASAP.

Just cos Walker cocked the sport up and it went backwards, doesnt mean to say, that we must delay the growth of the sport over a decade instead of all at once, just so these pampered players can get used to it.

there still working far less than the average man doing a 9-5 plus its a sport they love, so its hardly even a proper job. Plus they want to take a look at golfers and tennis players diaries if they want to see what proper professional sportsmen do. I didnt see Federer pulling out of lots of tournaments or losing in the first round cos he wanted home to see his newborn twins.

Postby Dannyboy

Some very interesting points in this thread. Firstly, I hope Igor Figuerido hasn't still got his wildcard for the Brazilian Masters after not bothering with the World Cup, despite a guaranteed £2300-ish just for turning up. If he wants to make a career out of snooker he needs to make a bit more effort IMO.

I think there needs to be a real culture change amongst the players - this takes time. Stephen Hendry last year with his PTC events comments; Ronnie O'Sullivan refusing to travel anywhere outside Essex and this season with all the extra new tournaments. Players aren't used to playing 24:7:365. Players have been used to in the past 20 years, since about the time the game went open of either spending a couple of months at the Norbreck Hotel in Blackpool, or just turning up to tournaments maybe 9 weeks of the year and play a few matches.

Every snooker fan, player and official will be delighted with every new tournament and advancement the game has made in the past 18 months since Uncle Barry was given the keys to World Snooker Head Office. But there needs to be a bit of a balance. Burnout and depression is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. The last few weeks we've seen non-stop snooker. Barry has said he wants snooker to become like tennis with tournaments every single week and a lucrative £10m tour. The Asian Tour has seen the week long World Cup (probably a bit too long IMO), Australia this week, Beijing next week and PTCs in the weeks after that.

Because of the rankings, players are completely under pressure to maintain their place. Tennis is not like this as players can pick and choose what tournaments they play, with no real ranking pressure. It may be a case of players being forced to play just to support a new tournament or to bow down to sponsors or TV (which of course is very important). There needs to be periods where players can take time off, recharge the batteries and spend time with the family.

Postby Wildey

point is Why enter wuxi and murphy was more than happy to go to the World cup promoting the game in new countries without saying id rather be home is important for the games future.

Postby Witz78

Danny

whats on in Beijing next week?

Snooker cant b like tennis with the top 100 in the rankings getting into events automatically, cos logistically 32 or 48 at a push is the right number for a venue.

Murphys been on a holiday in between the Wuxi and Aussie instead of flying home and back, hes doing it right

same with Doherty having his family out with him whilst hes in the WC and Aussie

Regarding rankings, im thinking that possibly the real way to shake the game up is only letting the top 8 automatically into venues.

the reason i say that now is that the top 8 are head and shoulders above the rest, theres little difference in ranking terms from around 11 - early 20s and the players around here are all much of a muchness anyway so i feel being in the top 8 would be more prestigious than the top 16.

Also that would mean 24 qualifiers from the 91 players not in the top 8 thus giving all tour players a 50% better chance of reaching the venue rather than the current 19% chance they have at best.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Danny

Snooker cant b like tennis with the top 100 in the rankings getting into events automatically, cos logistically 32 or 48 at a push is the right number for a venue.

Murphys been on a holiday in between the Wuxi and Aussie instead of flying home and back, hes doing it right

same with Doherty having his family out with him whilst hes in the WC and Aussie

Regarding rankings, im thinking that possibly the real way to shake the game up is only letting the top 8 automatically into venues.

the reason i say that now is that the top 8 are head and shoulders above the rest, theres little difference in ranking terms from around 11 - early 20s and the players around here are all much of a muchness anyway so i feel being in the top 8 would be more prestigious than the top 16.

Also that would mean 24 qualifiers from the 91 players not in the top 8 thus giving all tour players a 50% better chance of reaching the venue rather than the current 19% chance they have at best.

well that doesent fit with your Ronnie has to play theory because hes not going to be top 8 any time soon.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Danny

well that doesent fit with your Ronnie has to play theory because hes not going to be top 8 any time soon.

it would maybe kick him up the ass and make him play more to get in the top 8

at the moment it seems clear hes happy just to do the minimum to stay inside the top 16

Postby Dannyboy

Yes I agree that it should be the Last 16 onwards in venues. It would be better for the crowd and TV. The attendances for tournaments in recent years have shown that. It would be a very controversial move mind.

BTV Beijing International Challenge is on next week I think.

Postby gallantrabbit

Just think it's time we had more players like Doherty, battling from 1-4 down and Dale who had the balls to go at the home favourite etc. These guys weren't thinking of the minimum prize money or desperate to get out of there. They both provided a real spectacle (as did their oppos) and gave the crowd value for money and won with sheers balls. Great to see and hopefully both will now be adopted by the Aussies as it's certainly the attitude that typical Aussie sportsmen show.

Postby SnookerFan

At least Brendon Moore has been seeing some of Australia.

"Loving Melbourne. Been to Albert Park and walked round part of the Grand Prix circuit. Then went to the MCG to watch Aussie Rules. Great day"

Postby gallantrabbit

I've seen it Snookerfan, but it's no more than a cover letter really.
In fact they've screwed up bitg time here, taking the tournament from São Paulo, the heart of anything in this country to a bucking upper class resort down south. The crowds will be pathetic and snooker will gain nothing in this country. Hate to say iy but I predict another Bahrain.
I will however be going, have my pass stamped already <cool>
Would just like to find more information on qualifying for the two eventual wild cards. One positive they're not just giving the wild cards to friends. The muppets are keeping the qualy info close to their chests though...

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Have I misunderstood this, or are they only having the top-12 in the world, rather then the top-16? That and some wild cards.

its top 12 and 4 wild cards = last 16

Steve Davis is one of the wild card based on the fact he has played there before.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:At least Brendon Moore has been seeing some of Australia.

"Loving Melbourne. Been to Albert Park and walked round part of the Grand Prix circuit. Then went to the MCG to watch Aussie Rules. Great day"

wildey_1 eddie
@
@brendanmoore147 its nice to see you making the most of your trip down under :-)

brendanmoore147 Brendan Moore
@
@wildey_1 Certainly am, tried to pack as much as possible into such a small amount of time. It's been worth it though, had a blast.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

wildey_1 eddie
@
@brendanmoore147 its nice to see you making the most of your trip down under :-)

@
@wildey_1 Certainly am, tried to pack as much as possible into such a small amount of time. It's been worth it though, had a blast.

what a fool he is for not making the most of the hotel and being desperate to get home

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

wildey_1 eddie
@

@

what a fool he is for not making the most of the hotel and being desperate to get home

rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

you can understand some desperate to get home but for the life of me cant understand the self proclaimed international and i stress international playboii wanting to go home for a hug from mummy <laugh>

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Have I misunderstood this, or are they only having the top-12 in the world, rather then the top-16? That and some wild cards.

its top 12 and 4 wild cards = last 16

Steve Davis is one of the wild card based on the fact he has played there before.

I was under the impression that it was Top ten in the world.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:http://www.brazilmasters.com.br/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=22&lang=en

:bowdown: :bowdown:

are you the Tournament Director.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:Hmm, for some reason, I don't see that as being the finished line up. Do you?

well theres no way Ronnie will sit on a plane all the way to there so hes a no go.

I was sure there was going to be Figeurido, Santos plus 2other national players from the qualifying competition.

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:
Wild wrote:the players listed on their website is

Mark Williams
John Higgins
Mark Selby
Ding Junhui
Shaun Murphy
Neil Robertson
Ali Carter
Stephen Maguire
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Judd Trump
Graeme Dott
Mark Allen
Stephen Hendry
Steve Davis
Igor Figuiredo

http://www.brazilmasters.com.br/site/in ... mitstart=5

Whats the prizemoney for this?

im not sure but id expect Wild and Snookerfan couldnt give a flying intercoursing what it is and that the players should get on that plane regardless of whether its 20 grand or 10 bob and put on a show for the fans.

Postby Monique

I never trusted the info on their website, if only because it was stating this was ranking.
I also had my doubts about the list of players, for various reasons ;-) and it looked more like a wish list than an actual list.
Anyway I was right.
Here is the draw
http://www.brazilmasters.com.br/site/in ... =7&lang=pt

No Ronnie of course, I never expected him to enter this knowing how much he hates flying and be away from home for more than a couple of days when not compelled to. More surprisingly probably, no Robertson, no Trump, no Higgins and no Williams.
Last edited by Monique on 30 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.