Topic locked

Re: The Brazilian Masters Discussion !!!!!!

Postby Alex0paul

snooky147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Come on Graeme ffs

He's not there Alex. Not looking as if he could do anything. Disapointed for him.

Don't think the massive gap between matches helped but he already looked shot during the Ebdon match. Two finals this season so hopefully the win is around the corner.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:Theres this thought shorter the matches more exciting they are but most if not all short finals this season has gone to 4-0 or now 5-0.

The Longer matches have been the classics and got close.

Here Here.

Postby SnookerFan

Though, a good performance by Murphy this weekend too. Best of nine may be rather short for a final, but looking at it the other way he played two games of the equivalent of two first round matches, and he won 10 frames and lost 1.

So, he should be congratulated. This was only an exhibition event, but playing well is playing well.

Postby Bourne

kriss wrote:
Bourne wrote:I was offering you the chance to counter my claim that this is the most pointless tournament ever :john:

Why is it pointless?

Its purpose is to promote the sport in new places. With retrospect we might all agree it did not work- but you have to at least try.

You're as stubborn as wild :baby:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:You're as stubborn as wild :baby:

You're kind of stubborn in yourself. You seemed to want this event to fail? Why?

Nobody is claiming this event went flawlessly and that mistakes weren't made. But why are you so happy it wasn't as successful as it could have been? And why do you continue to post on the Brazilian board if you find the event pointless? :huh:

Wanting an event to fail, just because you don't fancy watching it yourself, surely that's pointless?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
kriss wrote:
Bourne wrote:I was offering you the chance to counter my claim that this is the most pointless tournament ever :john:

Why is it pointless?

Its purpose is to promote the sport in new places. With retrospect we might all agree it did not work- but you have to at least try.

You're as stubborn as wild :baby:

mate seriously no tournament that has potential to give the sport exposure its never had before and earning potential its never had before is pointless.

who won and loss was not that important but its been a success after a slow start and you could see even if you could not understand what he said how emotional and how much having a pro event in Brazil meant to Rui Chapeu the former Brazilian champion when he was interviewed at the MSI.

not to mention the $11,000 Igor Figuiredo made out of this event plus exposure he had and hopefully get a backer so that he can come over to the UK For the remainder of the season.

its been worth it all the way snooker is the winner by staging this make no mistake about it.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, agree with that.

This tournament was never meant to be a major. It was meant to be an experiment into a market where there was believed to be interest. Okay, in the grand scheme of things this won't rank up with the World or UK triumph that Murphy had. But kudos to him, and the others for going. This was expanding the fan base, and maybe if they sort out a few kinks and create more interest in the next year or so there might be a full ranker in Brazil. And we got a few more televised matches out of it.

Don't mistake the fact this wasn't a prestigious tournament to win, doesn't mean it's completely pointless in every way.

Postby SnookerFan

Murphy on twitter;

"Thanks to everyone for your lovely messages. Always special to win no matter where it is. Can't believe i get to do this for a job"

He does sometimes manage to come across like he has the right attitude. :bowdown: (Between whinging about Ronnie, and how few fans pay to see him.)

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, agree with that.

This tournament was never meant to be a major. It was meant to be an experiment into a market where there was believed to be interest. Okay, in the grand scheme of things this won't rank up with the World or UK triumph that Murphy had. But kudos to him, and the others for going. This was expanding the fan base, and maybe if they sort out a few kinks and create more interest in the next year or so there might be a full ranker in Brazil. And we got a few more televised matches out of it.

Don't mistake the fact this wasn't a prestigious tournament to win, doesn't mean it's completely pointless in every way.

theres things that could be ironed out but as Dave Hendon said on commentary the first year the World Championship went to the crucible there were hitches to it.

cameraman in Brazil was on a par with British cameramen in the 70s they live and will learn.

nobody surely was that naive to believe everything would be perfect in a first staging although Peter Ebdon got close to being naive lol.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:theres things that could be ironed out but as Dave Hendon said on commentary the first year the World Championship went to the crucible there were hitches to it.

cameraman in Brazil was on a par with British cameramen in the 70s they live and will learn.

nobody surely was that naive to believe everything would be perfect in a first staging although Peter Ebdon got close to being naive lol.

He's getting more and more like his double every day.

Postby mishcka

SnookerFan wrote:Murphy on twitter;

"Thanks to everyone for your lovely messages. Always special to win no matter where it is. Can't believe i get to do this for a job"

He does sometimes manage to come across like he has the right attitude. :bowdown: (Between whinging about Ronnie, and how few fans pay to see him.)

Think the only off-thing about Murphy is his o'sullivan-attitude! He is great player (Murphy) and should focus on what he does best: eating sarsaparilla and not-so-boring great-safety awesome-pots snooker <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

mishcka wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Murphy on twitter;

Think the only off-thing about Murphy is his o'sullivan-attitude! He is great player (Murphy) and should focus on what he does best: eating sarsaparilla and not-so-boring great-safety awesome-pots snooker <ok>

He can be a bit of a tit generally to be fair, it's not just his attitude towards Ronnie. The Maguire incident will forever haunt him, and it wasn't a one-off.

Like you say though, he's a good player to watch. With Murphy I tend to take the attitude that I like to watch him play, as long as I don't have to listen to his thoughts on anything. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:the only redeeming quality he has is that he shares his birthday with me, thats about it

<laugh>

I share my birthday with Bruce Grobbelaar, Ricky Hatton and (you'll appreciate this one) Bruno Sammartino.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:So your birthday is 6th October and not this Thursday..................

Yes, Thursday 6th October.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear on the other thread. I just re-read it to see what I said. I meant it was a Thursday, not this one.

Postby gallantrabbit

Some good some bad, that ain't a bad summary.
Good was the venue (in snooker terms), the table and the general level of professionalism. Bad was the location the ticket prices and one or two of th announcers, (they would say "well done Hendry or well done Walden...", but whatever.
I'm interested to hear what Ebdon said. Does he always have to criticise people and events he takes fat cheques off? (strange)
Rumours abound that next year will be in São paulo and that will improve it 200%. I know Hendon talked about the crowds going up during the event , but I think if their gate receipts topped 5 grand I'll be surprised. All freebies even for me eventually and jobs for the boys.
If next year they make it 25 reais per game they will pack it out in SP and actually make a few quid off the gate. I know they had other sources but live audiences are good for players, sponsors and general credibility so let's get it on.
It's easy to criticise such an event but over here there is enthusiasm and certainly space for new things. Hearn had very much the right idea in putting this on, but was just a little hands off in the organization of it all. He did coe out though so hopefully some issues have been addressed.
One other little criticism is the quality of the wild cards. Noel did ok but the other fellow was well off the pace. Igor is different class though and IMO could make it if given two more years on the circuit with a patient sponsor. The lad has talent and doesn't seem to panic.

Postby Wildey

yes lets give it a real good go next year i was encouraged by the suport even though as you say it was freebies lol

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:You're as stubborn as wild :baby:

You're kind of stubborn in yourself. You seemed to want this event to fail? Why?

Nobody is claiming this event went flawlessly and that mistakes weren't made. But why are you so happy it wasn't as successful as it could have been? And why do you continue to post on the Brazilian board if you find the event pointless? :huh:

Wanting an event to fail, just because you don't fancy watching it yourself, surely that's pointless?

About a week after making my official statement on this tournament, still no-one's actually offered up a counter-argument to prove me wrong. Which proves, i'm right ! :D

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
About a week after making my official statement on this tournament, still no-one's actually offered up a counter-argument to prove me wrong. Which proves, i'm right ! :D

What? Everybody has offered up a counter argument? rofl

You're not even right about that bit.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:

What? Everybody has offered up a counter argument? rofl

You're not even right about that bit.

i seriously think hes lost the plot what is he on about <laugh>