Topic locked

Re: Bank of Communication Shanghai Masters Final Discussion

Postby Wildey

today both players was on a hiding to nothing.

instead of Enjoying the snooker and the final.

no matter who lost the same old now its becoming a habit thing but ill tell you what if bottling a final the only thing these 2 has to worry about they are doing something very right.

Postby Roland

Anyway... bizarre final. Still can't stop thinking about it. Apart from the obvious you also had Selby's green with the rest at 9-7 and Williams bizarre escape from snookered behind the black after several misses to finally hit the red and see the white go up and down the table and land in the same spot behind the black it started and leaving Selby right in the rubbish.

And was the green a kick?

And what will Mark Williams think when he reflects on being in a deciding frame of a ranking event final and playing a hit and hope without thinking of a shot?

Postby Monique

It was a very bizarre final indeed, although it was great drama from the spectators point of view.
Conditions have been difficult all week, so it's hard to tell what was caused by the conditions, what was caused by players not trusting their shots because of the conditions and what was simply badly executed shots because of pressure, frustration or tiredness.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:It was a very bizarre final indeed, although it was great drama from the spectators point of view.
Conditions have been difficult all week, so it's hard to tell what was caused by the conditions, what was caused by players not trusting their shots because of the conditions and what was simply badly executed shots because of pressure, frustration or tiredness.

More than any other competition, Shanghai is consistently poor as far as conditions are concerned.

Postby Monique

Tubberlad wrote:
Monique wrote:It was a very bizarre final indeed, although it was great drama from the spectators point of view.

More than any other competition, Shanghai is consistently poor as far as conditions are concerned.

Yes, at this time of the year the weather there is usually - should I say consistently - hot and very humid.

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:The sound was strange on the coverage because every shot sounded like a kick so it was hard to tell what was and what wasn't.

Im glad somebody said it. Good point Sonny. I thought that through the whole tournament. But its obvious it werent kicks every time. But it made the actual kicks sounds awful!

Postby Monique

here is Dave Hendon's report about Mark Williams' reaction to the frame 17 incident
http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... liams.html
WILLIAMS BLASTS WILLIAMS
Mark Williams has blamed referee Eirian Williams for his Shanghai Masters final defeat to Mark Selby.

Williams claimed the incident in the 17th frame (which I detail in the post below this one) had cost him the title.

He said: “I was robbed. The referee made such an appalling decision.

“I was right behind it and 100% it hit the pink first. He said it did then he turned around and said he didn’t see it.

“It’s an absolute joke. It cost me the tournament. The balls should have gone back. I don’t mind losing to anyone but the ref has cost me the title, no question.

“It was plain to see that he hit the pink. We didn't need to play it back. We should get Stevie Wonder to referee next time.”

Strong stuff, then. But if you watch the footage, (Eirian) Williams calls the miss after consulting with the players and walks over to (Mark) Williams to ask him if he will take it, which he could have done immediately. Selby, after all, had accepted the decision.

(Mark) Williams appears to ask for the freeze frame, only to be told that World Snooker do not have that facility at this tournament.

Selby then comes over, someone mentions a replay on an arena TV monitor and they turn to study it. At this point the earlier certainty it was pink first dissipates.

It was hard to tell on the replay but it looked like red first to me watching at home. However, Mark Williams was obviously a lot closer than I was and isn’t usually the sort to blame anything other than himself for defeat. TV replays are sometimes misleading.

I understand his frustration. Remember, these quotes were taken down literally minutes after the defeat.

There was no doubt his general demeanour changed dramatically after the incident and he was still seething at the end, which is very unlike him.

But it was a very difficult call for the referee to make, even after they had consulted the replays.

All a referee can do in that situation is give an honest opinion: which is what Eirian Williams did.

He also did his best to come to a decision that was agreed on by both players, although obviously Mark Williams sees things differently and, of course, the miss had been given and then retracted, which further confused matters.

I've known Eirian for a long time. Indeed, he had a cameo role in what remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the snooker circuit - in Shanghai nine years ago when Selby, jetlagged and confused, tried to hail a taxi to the venue at 1.30am, believing it was the afternoon. Eirian had to point out it was, in fact, pitch black outside.

He is a referee of integrity. Whether it was red or pink is a debate that, I suspect, will never be solved to the satisfaction of everyone.

If Eirian made a mistake it was perhaps in taking so much time but, again, all he was trying to do was come to the right decision.

However, he did actually originally call a miss, which (Mark) Williams could have taken without himself asking for further evidence.

I know (Mark) Williams doesn't see it that way and I respect that too because it was a strange, frustrating incident which had a huge bearing on the result, and the match arena at a key stage of a major final isn't always the best place for clear thinking.

Who is to say if they had put the balls back Selby wouldn't have fluked one and cleared up? Stranger things have happened.

This was an unfortunate incident at a vital time in the final. It reminded me a little of the John Higgins/Ronnie O'Sullivan UK Championship semi-final two years ago, which also threatened to turn on a difficult rules decision.

All in all a rather unedifying end to a gripping contest.

If anyone still doubts that Mark Williams was gone towards the end of the match because he was furious and frustrated (rightly or wrongly) ...

Postby Witz78

Does that pink / red incident open a can of worms about refs using video evidence whenever theres a disputed call in a match which they cant be certain of, almost like Hawkeye on tennis?

As far as i can see Selby bottled things from 7-5 up to 7-9 down, his head was well minced and he was missing sitters and playing some severly negative stuff which looked set to have cost him it BUT then that incident in frame 17 happened and it was Williams who mentally crumbled whilst Selby drew strength and the momentum swung his way.

Postby vodkadiet

Williams has become a big time choker. Is he Ali Carter in disguise?!!

The only thing that tops the Welshman choking today is seeing Serena getting her big jellylike bum spanked! :D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I don't know if red or pink was hit first.

But I do know from that interview that this defeat really really hurt Williams. Now he takes it out on the ref. Ronnie took it out on Selby. This shows us that the top professionals, all millionaires, really do care and suffer if they lose.

Williams took another huge blow today and it hurt just watching, I like him and I really want him to win a ranker this season.

Postby Black2white

red and pink were deffo hit simultaniously the way I see it, but the main point it was a poor decision by Eirian after all agreed it was foul and a miss to go and watch the replay, it should be reffs sole decision and noone should rely on technical facilities. The way it was he only confused the players and really put MJ out of his rhythm :no:

Anyway, who knows what could've happened had Eirian replaced the balls as there were so many twists and turns in the match
so well done to Selby :-) A much needed win for him

Postby Monique

Snooker Overdrive wrote:...

But I do know from that interview that this defeat really really hurt Williams. Now he takes it out on the ref. Ronnie took it out on Selby. This shows us that the top professionals, all millionaires, really do care and suffer if they lose.

I can only second this. Dave Hendon on twitter last night agreed that the players reactions minutes after a defeat should be taken with a pinch of understanding but very rarely are. The guys are human. It's not to say that ungentlemanly conduct should be encouraged, but there is a huge difference between deliberate ungentlemanly conduct and emotional reaction of someone who, on the moment isn't thinking straight, if thinking at all.
The situation is even worse than that actually. While many journalists are very decent guys, others will not hesitate to pounce on the players distress to trigger controversial reactions or quotes - that sells. I've seen it with my own eyes on numerous occasions. I personally find this disgusting. I have discussed this with Clive Everton on one occasion at the Crucible and Clive's opinion was that in such circumstances the interviews should be conducted by someone from WSA, someone duly trained to deal with difficult emotional situations. Also the same person should act as a moderator when the floor is given to the press to put their questions through.
The players deserve that much and it can only improve everyone's image, the players and the game in general.

Postby Roland

Yes it may call into question the use of video technology but what was he supposed to do after Selby conceded the foul because he couldn't tell and then after calling foul actually see the evidence which showed red first? You can't say "it wasn't a foul but I've already said foul therefore I have to stick with my initial decision even though it was wrong".

Well done Erian Williams. I'm absolutely gutted for Mark Williams but I'm afraid the video evidence shows Erian was right. And if you say it's simultaneous or pink first then you're wrong or biased or blind.

:santa:

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:Williams has become a big time choker. Is he Ali Carter in disguise?!!

The only thing that tops the Welshman choking today is seeing Serena getting her big jellylike bum spanked! :D

a song about williams

ARE YOU CARTER ARE YOU CARTER ARE YOU CARTER IN DISGUISE

:chuckle: <laugh> :wave:

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Williams has become a big time choker. Is he Ali Carter in disguise?!!

a song about williams

ARE YOU CARTER ARE YOU CARTER ARE YOU CARTER IN DISGUISE

:chuckle: <laugh> :wave:

:D :chuckle: :D :chuckle: :D :chuckle:

I dont want this feeling to ever stop.

ps I have met both Eirian and Leo. Leo should be officiating in the big matches and Eirian should be carrying the drinks. That is all I wanna say on the matter.