Topic locked

Re: Bank of Communication Shanghai Masters S Final Discussio

Postby Tubberlad

I think Ding is a better player, and that will shine through in time. Their achievements are virtually dead even and Ding has six years on him.

Robertson is a very good player. Carter was mentioned above as underrated, that's bullocks, Carter never looks like he's going to finish the job, especially against the bigger names. Robertson is a player for the big occasion.

I'm not a fan of his game. I find his long potting game boring and he's actually pretty slow, but he is very, very good.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:The fact hes ginger and tries to pretend he aint doesnt exactly endear him to the masses.

No different to black and white minstrel men really

probably there is a whole ginger population out there who feel snubbed and outraged at his hair dying....................I see where they are coming from. Its like being black and wearing white make up - as if you are not proud of yourself. :hatoff:

Steve Davis is ginger and he covers it up by being a old fart shoot him.

He never dyed his hair - he was a proud ginger nut. And your hatred of Steve should be kept in check. Steve (ENG) is a fantastic ambassador and a MULTI world champ. :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:neither been World Champion and Ding not even reached 6 Tournament wins hes on 5 and Hunter 6 .

no comparison mate although ding might surpass him hes only 24.

The difference between Ding and Robertson:

Robertson is a very good player with great achievements so far and should he get his second world crown he will fill the space between Williams and the likes of Ebdon and Doherty. But he won't be considered as an all time great like the big five.

Ding on the other hand is an all time great in the making, he's only 24 and has already 3 majors. His century stats are amazing. Of course he needs at least 2 world titles and quite a few rankers but he has certainly 10 good years ahead and he's winning already one every year. So with 34 he could have 15 rankers and a few world titles. That would be enough to be considered an all time great.

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:The fact hes ginger and tries to pretend he aint doesnt exactly endear him to the masses.

No different to black and white minstrel men really

probably there is a whole ginger population out there who feel snubbed and outraged at his hair dying....................I see where they are coming from. Its like being black and wearing white make up - as if you are not proud of yourself. :hatoff:

Steve Davis is ginger and he covers it up by being a old fart shoot him.

He never dyed his hair - he was a proud ginger nut. And your hatred of Steve should be kept in check. Steve (ENG) is a fantastic ambassador and a MULTI world champ. :hatoff:

And he talks a hell of a lot of rubbish :win: "John Higgins is the greatest player to ever pick up a cue" :win:

Postby Wildey

as players Selby and Ding has reached more consistant level of play than Robbo but hes walked away with more silver in less time.

if he wins this weekend it will mean hes won a ranking title every calender year since 2006 and the only player bar Hendry,Davis,Ronnie,Williams,White and Higgins to win 2 Rankers in a season twice.

Postby Smart

Tubberlad wrote:
Smart wrote:DING will finish with the record Robbo can only dream of. DING is pure class. :hatoff:

Ding will win 8 World Championships :hatoff: and 37 ranking event titles :hatoff: and one pound more than Hendry in prize money :hatoff:

.......and drive around his mansion in Beijing drunk as a skunk on his golf cart .....................and have an accident but we will not find out about it (unlike a Scottish player who shall remain nameless). :hatoff:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Tubberlad wrote:Carter was mentioned above as underrated, that's fluffy bunnies, Carter never looks like he's going to finish the job, especially against the bigger names.

Of course Carter is underrated. I don't particularly like him but I recognize the facts. He won two rankers (one more than Selby), had great runs in the Crucible many times and is constantly highly placed in the world rankings.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's fascinating: you just have to write here someone is over- or underrated and you have to two filled pages after ten minutes.

easy to know smart is back <laugh>

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's fascinating: you just have to write here someone is over- or underrated and you have to two filled pages after ten minutes.

easy to know smart is back <laugh>

:hatoff:

catch you guys later or tomorrow - going to get proper drunk now :boo:

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:I love watching Robbo play - as for his long potting, can't understand how people are not a fan of that :shrug:

mate its just any excuse for aussie bashing from some snooker fans

:grrr:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Casey wrote:I love watching Robbo play - as for his long potting, can't understand how people are not a fan of that :shrug:

mate its just any excuse for aussie bashing from some snooker fans

:grrr:

YOU UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF

its more GJ Bashing <laugh>

Postby Roland

Hope for Selby v Williams but then I'd be torn so in a way it'd be good for only one of these to get to the final so I'll have someone to cheer on. A King v Robbo final would be one I'd never predict but it'd be interesting to see how King would cope with his first ranking final and Robbo's record.

If it's Selby v Williams then I'd like Selby to win so he can shut a few people up who count standard ranking events above the Masters and still harp on about one ranking event win, but then I'd like for Williams to exorcise the demons of the UK and Worlds but that's more about Higgins than winning titles.

I think it'll be Selby v Williams, I think Selby will see to King but will probably need another comeback and I think Williams will see to Robbo. I would also like to see Selby v Robbo because as I've said so many times before it's the one clash of the titans we're yet to witness apart from some shotclock bullocks last season which Selby won 4-2.

Williams v King would probably be a rout.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:A King v Robbo final would be one I'd never predict but it'd be interesting to see how King would cope with his first ranking final and Robbo's record.

NO that wouldn't be interesting. Robbo had too many easy finals already in his time.

Sonny wrote:If it's Selby v Williams then I'd like Selby to win so he can shut a few people up who count standard ranking events above the Masters and still harp on about one ranking event win, but then I'd like for Williams to exorcise the demons of the UK and Worlds but that's more about Higgins than winning titles.

The Masters is more important than a standard ranking event, everyone should accept that. The broadcasters are part of that problem because they go on about it very often and don't seem to recognize the Masters at all unless it's January.

A Selby - Williams final would traumatize one player even more and relieve one.

You also forgot the Williams - Bingham final - that's a demon in his head also.

Sonny wrote:I would also like to see Selby v Robbo because as I've said so many times before it's the one clash of the titans we're yet to witness apart from some shotclock fluffy bunnies last season which Selby won 4-2.

:hatoff:

Sonny wrote: Williams v King would probably be a rout.

:spot on:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Something about Hamilton:

He receive a lot of praise yesterday, deservedly. Some people said he's a great player. But today he showed how useless he is. He beat two top 16 players and had a dream quarter final at his hands but then he blows it completely. I hate these kind of players and that has nothing to do with the Ronnie match.

Hamilton is a fine breakbuilder but HE'S NOT a good player.

Postby Roland

There's blatantly something lacking in his game otherwise with his century record he'd be on about 15 ranking event wins. When I watch him play well he is relentless. He isn't the most exciting player to watch but he's like a metronome and it puts you in a trance without realising. His problem definitely lies with consistency. I've seen him at the Crucible in devastating form like when he beat Mark Williams 13-9 in 2002. But then he lost in the next round 13-6 to Ebdon. I don't remember exactly how it went but I would guess Ebdon broke his breakbuilding game down with a bit of grinding and got him grumbling.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Hope for Selby v Williams but then I'd be torn so in a way it'd be good for only one of these to get to the final so I'll have someone to cheer on. A King v Robbo final would be one I'd never predict but it'd be interesting to see how King would cope with his first ranking final and Robbo's record.

If it's Selby v Williams then I'd like Selby to win so he can shut a few people up who count standard ranking events above the Masters and still harp on about one ranking event win, but then I'd like for Williams to exorcise the demons of the UK and Worlds but that's more about Higgins than winning titles.

I think it'll be Selby v Williams, I think Selby will see to King but will probably need another comeback and I think Williams will see to Robbo. I would also like to see Selby v Robbo because as I've said so many times before it's the one clash of the titans we're yet to witness apart from some shotclock bullocks last season which Selby won 4-2.

Williams v King would probably be a rout.

so if Selby reaches the final you will be cheering for Robbo against floater wills :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Something about Hamilton:

He receive a lot of praise yesterday, deservedly. Some people said he's a great player. But today he showed how useless he is. He beat two top 16 players and had a dream quarter final at his hands but then he blows it completely. I hate these kind of players and that has nothing to do with the Ronnie match.

Hamilton is a fine breakbuilder but HE'S NOT a good player.

playing top players is easy you got nothing to lose ......Hamilton plays a top notch game so he is always in with a chance but then mentally when he feels he has a chance to advance further he folds seen it for 20 years it did not surprise me at all.

Postby SnookerFan

Sky+ cacked up taping half the match again. :grrr:

I got to 4-2 by Smurph, only for it to cut out and just return as Selby was ending his match winning break. :shock: By the look of it, I missed something exceptional.

Still, it does confirm what I think that best of nines snake hiss all over best of sevens.