Topic locked

Shanghai Masters have new sponsor

Postby SnookerFan

The Bank of Communication is the new title sponsor of the Shanghai Masters.

A press conference in China to announce the new sponsor was attended by Stephen Hendry as well as representatives from the Bank of Communication, Shanghai Media Group, Shanghai Sports Bureau, the Chinese Billiards and Snooker Association and World Snooker.

The world ranking event, which has been a regular fixture on the calendar since 2007, runs from September 5 to 11 at the Grand Stage in Shanghai.

Re: Shanghai Masters have new sponsor

Postby Steve K

They bank communication? Wonder if it is similiar to buying a five-minute argument? Either way it's good to see sponsors still lining up to back these events. Wonder what happend to Roewe, they were with them a while if I can remember.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:new sponsor, the same crappy old prize money

what job will you find that can give you £65,000

im not in this camp that think players deserve more than that no matter which sport it is.

id rather that came down and ranked no 99 gets more.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:new sponsor, the same crappy old prize money

what job will you find that can give you £65,000

im not in this camp that think players deserve more than that no matter which sport it is.

id rather that came down and ranked no 99 gets more.

one guy gets 65k, the winner

the money soon drops down for the rest of the players, bear in mind this is one of only 8 proper rankers of the season so the chance to earn proper decent money (a few hundred grand at least) for the players isnt that great.

but when i was talking about the prize money being poor then yeh primarily i was meaning the breakdown of money thru the rankings should be better, but not at the sacrifice of the top players money. If they cant even make good money too then the whole sport is screwed.

Basically there should be a far greater prize fund on offer so that everyone gets a slice relevant to how well they do.

heres the actual prize money and heres what i think it should be in brackets

Winner: £65,000
Runner-up: £32,000 (£40,000)
Semi-finalists: £15,000 (£25,000)
Quarter-finalists: £10,000 (£15,000)
Last 16: £7,000 (£10,000)
Last 32: £4,000 (£7,000)
Last 48: £2,300 (£4,000)
Last 64: £1,500 (£2,500)
Last 80: £0 (£1,500)
Last 96: £0 (£750)

total £338,000 (£537,000)

Is it really that much to ask. what a difference it would make.

Postby Steve K

Think 50k for the winner and 25k for the runner up with the remaining money going into prize money for the last 32 and 48 people would be a good system.

Postby Witz78

Steve K wrote:Think 50k for the winner and 25k for the runner up with the remaining money going into prize money for the last 32 and 48 people would be a good system.

so that would be 22k extra divided among the last 32 nd 48 guys then which would be an extra £687.50 on average