Topic locked

Re: Shanghai Masters Qualifying Discussion !!!!!

Postby roy142857

Only just noticed that Gilbert and Woollaston are drawn against each other, two of the three players I'd really fancied to do well against the players a level or two up (Liam Highfield being my other 'tip for the top' - mind you, my past track record on picking players isn't so hot - and from wild's comments earlier, sounds like Li Yan might be a prime candidate too).

I think one this is one of the problems with the start of season points gap between the top 64 and the new players - if the new players are too evenly matched, they'll keep having good runs and then getting knocked out early, and therefore fail to close the gap enough.

Postby Wildey

my tip for tomorrow streaming matches

morning
Alan Mcmanus v David Hogan
Liu Chaung v Li Yan

afternoon
Jimmy White v Adam Wicheard
Jack Lisowski v David Grace

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:Only just noticed that Gilbert and Woollaston are drawn against each other, two of the three players I'd really fancied to do well against the players a level or two up (Liam Highfield being my other 'tip for the top' - mind you, my past track record on picking players isn't so hot - and from wild's comments earlier, sounds like Li Yan might be a prime candidate too).

Talking of which, does anyone know what James McBain is doing? 75th in last seasons rankings was pretty respectable, but the 'wheels came off' rather at Q School

:sad:

... just updated the page on him at Wikipedia, there was nothing on there about last season.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:WOW

Kacpier Filiapak has a minefield PTC Schedule

PTC 2 Rod Lawler
PTC 3 Stuart Bingham
PTC 4 Mike Dunn

By the end of that, Kacper and the top 64 could be poles apart.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

rofl

he really looked out of his depth today :-(

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:

Don't quite know how he can go from the flashes of inspiration shown at times in the World Cup to such a dire result, perhaps just youth & inexperience ... as we've alluded to quite a bit, they're starting so far behind the top 64 that they can't afford to slip up very often. Or just not be there like (the recently re-named) Unlucky Vatnani.

:-(

Postby Wildey

looking at these young players its easy to see where they go wrong and why it takes them time to get somewhere....

Postby SnookerFan

roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Don't quite know how he can go from the flashes of inspiration shown at times in the World Cup to such a dire result, perhaps just youth & inexperience ... as we've alluded to quite a bit, they're starting so far behind the top 64 that they can't afford to slip up very often. Or just not be there like (the recently re-named) Unlucky Vatnani.

I didn't watch much of the World Cup as I couldn't get into it, but surely the fact that it is a less prestigious event speaks volumes. We've all heard that the players are playing for their country :zzz: and it's a great honour :zzz: , but lets face it. It was an exhibition event, where you get a partner to help you. At a venue where they consider 6 people turning up to be a massive crowd. At best it was a bit of fun event, where he was playing for a country that nobody expected to win. What pressure was on him exactly? None.

Whereas look at this event. Kacper is now somebody people are expecting to do well based on his performance in Thailand. Ranking points are at stake. Prize money at stake. If he wins enough, he gets to the televised stages of a proper ranker. Not some team game in Thailand.

It takes more then skill to be a top player, because they all have that. You have to deal with the intense pressure too. Which there would be in a qualifying event. Would the pressure have been on him as much at the World Cup? I doubt it.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:

I didn't watch much of the World Cup as I couldn't get into it, but surely the fact that it is a less prestigious event speaks volumes. We've all heard that the players are playing for their country :zzz: and it's a great honour :zzz: , but lets face it. It was an exhibition event, where you get a partner to help you. At a venue where they consider 6 people turning up to be a massive crowd. At best it was a bit of fun event, where he was playing for a country that nobody expected to win. What pressure was on him exactly? None.

Whereas look at this event. Kacper is now somebody people are expecting to do well based on his performance in Thailand. Ranking points are at stake. Prize money at stake. If he wins enough, he gets to the televised stages of a proper ranker. Not some team game in Thailand.

It takes more then skill to be a top player, because they all have that. You have to deal with the intense pressure too. Which there would be in a qualifying event. Would the pressure have been on him as much at the World Cup? I doubt it.

buck me it was anything but a exho they were playing for their lives blood and guts was being spilt for frames out there......toughest grinding snooker ive seen since the Charlton and Thorburns was in Full Swing.

Postby Wildey

Monday 1st of August

7pm

Sam Baird 1-5 Yu Delu
Sam Craigie 2-5 Kurt Maflin
Joe Meara 4-5 Cao Yupeng
Ben Woollaston 5-3 David Gilbert
Liam Highfield 3-5 David Morris

not a great night for sam's i bet fireman sam would have caught fire tonight lol

That concludes the First Day Snooker Streaming Revelation other Matches Still going on Live Scoring.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:buck me it was anything but a exho they were playing for their lives blood and guts was being spilt for frames out there......toughest grinding snooker ive seen since the Charlton and Thorburns was in Full Swing.

Alright fine. All the pressure in that tournament was on Kacpier. I don't know how he could even pick up a cue, he should've been so nervous. :roll:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:buck me it was anything but a exho they were playing for their lives blood and guts was being spilt for frames out there......toughest grinding snooker ive seen since the Charlton and Thorburns was in Full Swing.

Alright fine. All the pressure in that tournament was on Kacpier. I don't know how he could even pick up a cue, he should've been so nervous. :roll:

reason he lost was nothing to do with being nervous yesterday or under pressure just Naivety in shot selection and Norman had the Experience to Punish him.

Postby Wildey

ill tell you what Ding might be at the top of chinese snooker and the standard they have to reach but its a bottomless pit of talent behind him.

liking Li Yan what a player

Postby Wildey

michael white throgh with a impressive 5-2 win against burden that included a 145 break he next plays Fergal O'Brien tomorrow Morning.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 2nd of August

10am

Liu Song 5-4 Tian Pengfei
Alfie Burden 2-5 Michael White
Andy Hicks 2-5 James Wattana
Alan McManus 5-0 David Hogan
Liu Chuang 5-4 Li Yan
Rod Lawler 4-5 Aditya Mehta

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Hope they show Lisowski vs Grace today <ok>

yes thats the one and jimmy properly the other but at the mo there's a technical hitch namely no pictures of the deciding frames :sad:

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

yes thats the one and jimmy properly the other but at the mo there's a technical hitch namely no pictures of the deciding frames :sad:

WTF they are cutting off if a match goes 4-4 ?!

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

WTF they are cutting off if a match goes 4-4 ?!

rofl

i gess they had a gremlin lol