8%
Simultaneous
8%
I can't tell
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: Red or pink first? You decide

Postby kriss

PLtheRef wrote:Well a referee would be in the position to judge that there was an initial gap between the 5mm red - and thus would notice that they were not touching. - A referee would be judging this because of the potential for a simultaneous hit situation.

Your completely missing the point. Im talking about playing a bog standard plant on two reds.

If I were to play a plant on two reds that are touching.... then set the same shot up again but this time with those two planted reds 5mm apart... no human would be able to hear the difference in sound if I played the shot with a lot of pace like Selby did.

So the theory of the 'single click' denoting a simultaneous shot is not correct when I have given a simple senario where two shots that are fundamentally different would sound identical to us humans.

Re: Red or pink first? You decide

Postby PLtheRef

kriss wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Well a referee would be in the position to judge that there was an initial gap between the 5mm red - and thus would notice that they were not touching. - A referee would be judging this because of the potential for a simultaneous hit situation.

Your completely missing the point. Im talking about playing a bog standard plant on two reds.

If I were to play a plant on two reds that are touching.... then set the same shot up again but this time with those two planted reds 5mm apart... no human would be able to hear the difference in sound if I played the shot with a lot of pace like Selby did.

So the theory of the 'single click' denoting a simultaneous shot is not correct when I have given a simple senario where two shots that are fundamentally different would sound identical to us humans.

Well that is the guidelines that the referees are given. Its certainly the guideline I was given when I qualifed. And my instructor is a World Snooker Referee.

I'm not missing the point. I think you're looking at making mountains from molehills.

If there was a suspicion of a simultaneous hit then I as a referee would be checking in the first place.

In any case a simultaneos hit is going to only occur if a player is to plant using a split. I.e. - playing directly at the gap (however small or at the 'crick' where a red would go above the other two in a triangle)between the two reds. Playing a plant as is usually observed isnt going t have the white striking both seperate reds at the same time.