Topic locked

PTT-EGAT World Cup Discussion !!!!

Postby Wildey

11th of July - 17th of July

In The 1980s these Team events was happening every season from 1979/1980 until 1989/1990 then in 1996 it was played on a far bigger Scale in Thailand the Last year it was Held and won by Scotland that year.

in 1998/1999 it was revised as the Nations Cup and played for 3 years its now been 10 years since Snooker Players has played as a Team Professionally.

Countries that has won The Team event Over the years are.

England 5 Times 1981,1983,1988,1989 and 2000
Wales 3 Times 1979,1980 and 1999
Ireland 3 Times 1985,1986 and 1987
Scotland 2 Times 1996 and 2001
Canada 2 Times 1982 and 1990

This year There's 20 teams playing in 4 Groups of 5 with England,Wales,Scotland and China the top Teams in each Group and Favorites to win the Tournament.

DRAW

FORMAT OF PLAY

LIVE SCORING

PREDICTION CONTEST

Re: PTT-EGAT World Cup Discussion !!!!

Postby Sickpotter

Afghanistan? <doh>

Good God, what kind of team could that country put together?

Just pathetic that Afghanistan can field a team but Canada can't :emb:

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:Afghanistan? <doh>

Good God, what kind of team could that country put together?

Just pathetic that Afghanistan can field a team but Canada can't :emb:

yes it really is bad isnt it the history of Canada in snooker is rich WHAT HAPPENED ? lol

Postby randam05

I am so excited for this! Looking forward to seeing venue and layout, seeing some quality snooker, some great banter between players. See howing doubles between some of the players works out! The size of crowds, how well the format works! CANNOT WAIT!

Postby SnookerFan

From the Eurosport website;

Ken Doherty is eagerly awaiting next week's World Cup and believes it is vital for the sport to have a team event on the calendar.

It is the first snooker World Cup since 1996 and Doherty is delighted to see the tournament return.

"It's vitally important for snooker to have a World Cup as all the other big sports have some kind of team event where different nations are represented," said the 41-year-old who is still ranked among the world's top 32. "We're becoming more of a global game and having a World Cup is a part of that.

"The event generates so much excitement and passion, and gives some variety to the calendar. I've spoken to some of the other players involved next week and we can't wait for it. I'm already in Thailand doing some exhibitions and the fans here are talking about it and building an atmosphere.

"I remember as a kid watching the World Cup when Ireland won it three years in a row (1985-87). It's a tournament that makes for great television. It's shame it hasn't been staged for 15 years but I'm pleased it's back now and the standard of play is dramatically higher than it was back then."

From Thailand, Doherty will head to the Australian Goldfields Open, a ranking event which runs from July 18-24 in Bendigo in Victoria. It's an area he knows well as his wife Sarah comes from Melbourne.

"I was desperate to qualify for Australia because of the family I have out there," said Doherty, who did just that by beating Scott MacKenzie 5-2 in the qualifiers last week.

"My wife and son and a lot of the family will be there to watch me.

"I've not seen much of Bendigo but I know that Victoria is a beautiful place. People love snooker there and I hope they will come to support the tournament."

Postby Wildey

every other sport has a team event even Golf and Tennis

i think it is important to get away from one v one sometimes.

Postby GJ

how can it be considered a proper event when thailand was 2 teams in it

what other proper world cup in other sports would allow a country to have an A and B team

FARCE

Postby SnookerFan

So, Wuxi Classic out of the way, and we come to this. The highly anticipated World Cup.

I must confess, I am a little bit with Sonny on this, it may be a bit gimmicky for my liking. My preferences for snooker has always been straight knock out tournaments, with every man for himself. But, excluding myself, a hell of a lot of fans have been crying out for a team tournament and we have it. I'll probably get the afternoon's play taped, there seems to be a lot of it on TV, and give it a bit of a go. I'll go into it with an open mind, and you never know. I might like it.

The snooker is certainly coming thick and fast in July, isn't it?

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:The Open, women's World Cup climax, Bastad and Stuttgart all come ahead of this for me <ok>

:hatoff:

+ tour de france as well for me <cool> :happy:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:how can it be considered a proper event when thailand was 2 teams in it

what other proper world cup in other sports would allow a country to have an A and B team

FARCE

agree with that

id have reduced the field from 20 to 16 3 man teams meaning 16 less round robin matches and increase the matches from best of 5 to best of 9 with some proper doubles matches

Frame 1 singles
Frame 2 singles
Frame 3 singles
Frame 4 doubles
Frame 5 doubles
Frame 6 doubles
Frame 7 singles
Frame 8 singles
Frame 9 singles

each man in the team play the first 3 frames then play 3 frames of doubles with the same 2 players from each team straight through then the final 3 frames captain choices.

but this still pisses all over everything else on TV Next week by a mile.

Postby randam05

ut this still pisses all over everything else on TV Next week by a mile.

very well said wild! me and you are on the same wavelength sometimes.

Cycling is the most dull sport ever to watch. Its the same thing over and over again!!! how can that be entertaining seriously. I can go to the cycle path near here and watch people ride bikes. Formula one is boring as hell too. Just a machine going round the same bit of road over and over again. Tennis is okay I suppose. But nothing...i mean, NOTHING compares to snooker.

But the open golf I believe is this week? hmm maybe ill record that for the summer I dont know.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:

Cycling is the most dull sport ever to watch. Its the same thing over and over again!!! how can that be entertaining seriously. I can go to the cycle path near here and watch people ride bikes. Formula one is boring as hell too. Just a machine going round the same bit of road over and over again. Tennis is okay I suppose. But nothing...i mean, NOTHING compares to snooker.

But the open golf I believe is this week? hmm maybe ill record that for the summer I dont know.

i respect the Tour de france for sticking to a traditional format over modernizing and shortening....

snooker should follow their lead....

Postby Bourne

The TDF is cycling's equivalent of the World Champs in snooker, and they haven't changed anything ...

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
randam05 wrote:

i respect the Tour de france for sticking to a traditional format over modernizing and shortening....

snooker should follow their lead....

WILD

simples side kick talking his usual BS

<doh>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:The TDF is cycling's equivalent of the World Champs in snooker, and they haven't changed anything ...

exactly just putting it out there before barry gets a idea ;-)

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:The Tour De France. :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

TV SCHEDULE

7am-11am LIVE British Eurosport 2
1pm-5pm LIVE British Eurosport 2
2pm-3pm British Eurosport
3pm -5pm LIVE British Eurosport 2
3pm -5pm LIVE British Eurosport

players in action on day 1 will include
Ken Doherty
Fergal O'Brien
Lasse Munsterman :limp:
Marco Fu
youngest pro Kacper Filipiak
Ding Junhui
Liang Wenbo
Tony Drago
Mark Allen
Neil Robertson
James Wattana and
Luca Brecel

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:price money http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/PTTEGA ... 97,00.html

approx
winner £125,000
Runner up £62,500
Semi-finals £37,500
Quarter-finals £19,000
Third in group £10,000
Fourth in group £8,000
Fifth in group £4,500
High break, group stage $3,000
High break, knock-out stage £9,350

£436,000

Why is a divvy exhibition event like this have so much prize money attached? :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:oh dear, whose up watching this? I dont think i should have bothered. That hour in bed may have been better.

I'm up, but not got it on as I'm leaving for work in half an hour. What's happening? They're not doing a big speech in foreign again are they?

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
randam05 wrote:oh dear, whose up watching this? I dont think i should have bothered. That hour in bed may have been better.

I'm up, but not got it on as I'm leaving for work in half an hour. What's happening? They're not doing a big speech in foreign again are they?

They are playing now but its got a maximum of 15 in the crowd and theres an annoying fan sound! Ah well ken on a good break.

Postby randam05

Just think if they put this tournament in the UK im sorry but we would love it! we would most probably have a full house and also we have a big range of nationalities here so would get many pakistanies and afghanistanis or whatever you call them, coming to the tournament to support their team.

Would also be funny to see the roudy english cheering on their team!

Why waste a good idea on thailand which obviously have little interest. This is worst than wuxi and bahrain!