Topic locked

Re: PTT-EGAT World Cup Discussion !!!!

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:
randam05 wrote:
ut this still pisses all over everything else on TV Next week by a mile.

very well said wild! me and you are on the same wavelength sometimes.

Cycling is the most dull sport ever to watch. Its the same thing over and over again!!! how can that be entertaining seriously. I can go to the cycle path near here and watch people ride bikes. Formula one is boring as hell too. Just a machine going round the same bit of road over and over again. Tennis is okay I suppose. But nothing...i mean, NOTHING compares to snooker.

But the open golf I believe is this week? hmm maybe ill record that for the summer I dont know.

i respect the Tour de france for sticking to a traditional format over modernizing and shortening....

snooker should follow their lead....

WILD

:hatoff:

simples side kick talking his usual BS

<doh>

you seemed to be a fan of the World Open format last season GJ, I wonder why? :chin:

Postby Witz78

First observations...

1) Where the hell is the crowd

2) A tournament like this should be played in the UK definetly, so theres a mix of fans supporting most of the nations

3) What a waste of prize money, thats almost double whats on offer at the bog standard rankers, woulda far rather sae another ranker instead of this.

4) On a seperate note, there was an argument that tournaments could only be held in the UK if there was TV coverage for them, im sure Eurosport would cover them anyway so what would be the issue.

Postby Dannyboy

Hopefully the sponsors instead of World Snooker are putting up that level of prize money. It is staggering to say the least!

Forgot this was on today - what has the standard like of the 'lesser known' players?

Hopefully the event will be better supported later in the week. We saw how crap some of the crowds were at Wuxi last week.

Postby Wildey

standard on the whole been poor to say the least Pakistan beat Ireland 3-2 with a best break of 25 and Ireland had 2 Centuries.

some of the amataurs playing very negative and it is dragging out matches.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:First observations...

1) Where the hell is the crowd

2) A tournament like this should be played in the UK definetly, so theres a mix of fans supporting most of the nations

3) What a waste of prize money, thats almost double whats on offer at the bog standard rankers, woulda far rather sae another ranker instead of this.

4) On a seperate note, there was an argument that tournaments could only be held in the UK if there was TV coverage for them, im sure Eurosport would cover them anyway so what would be the issue.

you are missing whats happening here.

Thailand Approached World Snooker to stage a tournament i suspect Scotland didn't.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The crowd will all be outside drinking in the sunshine watching it on the big screen

good point

as a tudor square veteran he should know snooker fans dont actually go in the arena <doh>

Postby Wildey

Monday 11th of July

7am

Republic of Ireland 2-3 Pakistan
Thailand 2 3-2 Afghanistan

Followed By

Belgium 2-3 Brazil
Hong Kong 2-3 Poland

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Fair win for Brazil considering theyve a team of snooker novices playing 2 pros.

entertaining match that 1.

Brecel showed glimpses of real class hope he qualifies for a few events.

Postby Calm

Cool, 1-0 to NI. Did Allen win that frame or the other guy??? 15-1 to Thailand in the 1st frame, is that against Robertson?

Postby Wildey

Calm wrote:Who's playing now in Aus v Thai??? Is it Robertson v Wattana or was that 1st match?

Poomjang v Misfud and Thailand levels it up at 1-1

Postby Calm

Alex0paul wrote:Would be pretty awesome to see a 147 in the doubles format.

Pretty unlikely though!! I hope Aus can win the doubles because I reckon Wattana is gonna win his singles, so pretty much whoever wins this doubles should win the match! :-D

Postby Wildey

the northern ireland team looks in good form and settled in to the format better than any today.

Postby Calm

How far was Ding ahead in that frame! Can't believe he let Drago back in to nick it :(

At least Wenbo should equalise....

Postby Calm

I guess Malta gotta be the faves for the doubles though, Drago has a lot of experience from Mosconi Cup and other Pool stuff.......

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Just switched on for the first time, where is the crowd ?!

yes crowd been disapointing the Aussie v Thailand match was not bad but others been poor

Postby Witz78

why is there no banter between players in the doubles

are they not allowed to discuss what shot their partner should play etc

and one other thing i cant work out, why if Figuerido is strapped for cash and is only going to be playing the big events did he turn down the chance to represent Brazil in this? worst case scenario he was going to be sharing £4,500 with his partner, very likely to be claiming far more cash which is more than hes ever likely to make from a main tour ranker.

Postby Odrl

Very interesting to see the doubles matches. I think it's probably an advantage to have the stronger player playing the colours in a break. Ding was getting Liang in perfect position for every red, but Liang still managed to miss. :-)

It will be interesting to see the teams with two strong players. Williams often relies on good recovery pots in his breakbuilding, but it's the other guy that has to recover position if you mess up here, so Wales could struggle a bit. On the other hand, England could be strong here, and perhaps Scotland as well, with two very good positional players.