Topic locked

Re: PTT-EGAT World Cup Discussion !!!!

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

i see robbo was in action how did he do

WELL THEY WON

but its a very difficult format to get rhythm in ....the best teams was where you had 2 players of equal standard ie China and Northern Ireland.

theres 2 much pressure on Robbo to win his frames i feel same with Marco Fu.....Marco Fu out did himself with negativity to a point he refused a straight forward pot in favour of putting the balls back and was looking for some 70 points from misses to win the frame.

Postby GJ

cheers vinnie would have been a better choice than mifsud

Postby Wildey

also the matches are to short it just compounds negativity and matches was dragging a bit.

less teams and longer matches is my advice.

Postby PLtheRef

Would it be better making the matches best of five rather than over five. That said the way the points are set up it makes each match frame worth it.

The old World Cup used to have playing two frame matches would it easier to have Player 1's playing 2 frames, then the doubles, and then the other two - it would allow players more time to settle down. Which is one of the reasons why the standard wasnt huge.

Does anyone think that 20 countries is too many and that 8 or 12 might be a more reasonable number

Personally I think that next year hold it on similar lines to the World Team Cup in Tennis - 2 Groups of Four - Group winners play the Final.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:Would it be better making the matches best of five rather than over five. That said the way the points are set up it makes each match frame worth it.

The old World Cup used to have playing two frame matches would it easier to have Player 1's playing 2 frames, then the doubles, and then the other two - it would allow players more time to settle down. Which is one of the reasons why the standard wasnt huge.

Does anyone think that 20 countries is too many and that 8 or 12 might be a more reasonable number

Personally I think that next year hold it on similar lines to the World Team Cup in Tennis - 2 Groups of Four - Group winners play the Final.

i just think first to 3 is just to short in a team events players was to scared to breath at times i know the minnows gets the blame for negativity but seasoned players like Fergal and Marco refusing shots even they wouldn't refuse.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Would it be better making the matches best of five rather than over five. That said the way the points are set up it makes each match frame worth it.

i just think first to 3 is just to short in a team events players was to scared to breath at times i know the minnows gets the blame for negativity but seasoned players like Fergal and Marco refusing shots even they wouldn't refuse.

The thing is though it aint first to 3, its 5 first to 1 matches.

Every frame won is effectively a match won.

And as for the suggestion of one best of 2 match, doubles then another best of 2 match, then that way everyone wouldnt get to play everyone, so the ties would be more predictable in terms of who played who and the outcome. This format is similar to the Davis Cup in tennis in terms of the format of the matches.

Postby Wildey

thats just it its played on the same principle of the Davis Cup But who cares if everyone dont play everyone its a team and as a team there should be a element where the Captain Plays the Best Players to win the Match

For Example

Australia v Thailand

Robbo v Poomjang 2 frames
Mifsud v Wattana 2 Frames
Doubles 2 Frames Normal not alternatives
then For the reminder of the match captains choice 2 Frames
and if its 4-4 the other players of the team plays the decider

along the same lines as the old Team championship of the 80s.

Get Rid of 4 Teams Thailand 2,Egypt,Pakistan and UAE that would mean 16 less matches.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:thats just it its played on the same principle of the Davis Cup But who cares if everyone dont play everyone its a team and as a team there should be a element where the Captain Plays the Best Players to win the Match

For Example

Australia v Thailand

Robbo v Poomjang 2 frames
Mifsud v Wattana 2 Frames
Doubles 2 Frames Normal not alternatives
then For the reminder of the match captains choice 2 Frames
and if its 4-4 the other players of the team plays the decider

along the same lines as the old Team championship of the 80s.

Get Rid of 4 Teams Thailand 2,Egypt,Pakistan and UAE that would mean 16 less matches.

its a bit harsh to just say get rid of some of the countries so theres less games

why not just cut to the chase and say ok, its England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and China only :john:

plus if we go with your proposal of potentially 9 frame matches instead of 5 frame matches, then were likely to end up with more frames overall anyway in total.

Postby MignonSnooker

Any idea what matches have been played so far today and are in play now? The worldsnooker.com live scoring "Malta 1-0 Australia" is not good enough. No indication as to who is playing whom. The other worldsnooker.com result page [ http://tinyurl.com/65u2jwb ] should be far better. If it only were properly updated!...

Tony Drago 1-0 Neil Robertson/Steve Mifsud
Alex Borg - Neil Robertson/Steve Mifsud
Tony Drago, Alex Borg - Neil Robertson, Steve Mifsud
Alex Borg - Neil Robertson/Steve Mifsud
Tony Drago - Neil Robertson/Steve Mifsud

Pankaj Advani 0-1 Luca Brecel/ Bjorn Haneveer
Aditya Mehta 1-0 Luca Brecel/ Bjorn Haneveer
Pankaj Advani, Aditya Mehta - Bjorn Haneveer, Luca Brecel
Aditya Mehta - Luca Brecel/ Bjorn Haneveer
Pankaj Advani - Luca Brecel/ Bjorn Haneveer

Postby Calm

Drago beat Robertson, now Borg v Mifsud with Borg needing a snooker

Brecel won, Haneveer lost but Belgium just won the doubles.

Postby SnookerFan

Watched the first Brecel frame this morning, and he did play well, despite my utterance. (He'd done quite a poor positional at that point.) My attention waned again during the Bjorn Haneever frame. More then anything because I was supposed to be getting ready for work.

I get the impression, if done properly, this could actually be quite a interesting event. Not time off work to watch it, interesting. But okay.

Postby Wildey

Malta gone 2-1 up on Australia

if mifsud beats Drago he would have earned his spot in the team

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:WELL I GOT PICTURES :chin:

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:beat this mafia clown

rofl

i think the Steve Mifsud has Maltese blood .....doesn't look like a true aussie lol

Paul Mifsud was a maltese champion a few years back

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

rofl

i think the Steve Mifsud has Maltese blood .....doesn't look like a true aussie lol

:?

Postby GJ

what a choke

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

rofl

hes about as Aussie as Bernie Tomic :hyper:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

rofl

and hes as english as laura robson

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

rofl

or Peter Andre rofl

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:what a choke

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

thot youd no interest in this "BS event" ?

no other sport on thsi time of the day

tour de france on later <cool>

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

rofl

and hes as english as laura robson

BUMP :-)