Topic locked

World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 78,00.html

TEAMS

Top eight seeds:

1. Wales: Mark Williams and Matthew Stevens
2. Scotland: John Higgins and Stephen Maguire
3. England: Mark Selby and Ali Carter
4. China: Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo
5. Australia: Neil Robertson and Steve Mifsud
6. Northern Ireland: Mark Allen and Gerard Greene
7. Hong Kong: Marco Fu and Fung Kwok Wai
8. Republic of Ireland: Ken Doherty and Fergal O'Brien

Host teams

Thailand A: James Wattana and Dechawat Poomjaeng
Thailand B: Passakorn Sunwannawat and Thepchaiya Un-nooh

Wild cards

Germany: Patrick Einsle and Lasse Münstermann
Brazil: Itaro Santos and one other TBC

Qualifiers

Belgium: Bjorn Haneveer and Luca Brecel
Pakistan: Sahid Aftab and Muhammad Sajjad
India: Aditya Metha and Pankaj Advani
Afghanistan: Mohammad Rais Senzahi and Saleh Mohammad Mohammadi
UAE: Mohmmed Mustafa Shehab and Mohammed Al Joaker
Poland: Kacper Filipiak and Krzysztof Wrobel
Malta: Tony Drago and Alex Borg
Egypt: Wael Talat and Yasser El-Sherbini

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Brazil: Itaro Santos and one other TBC

It is obvious they are trying to persuade Igor Figuiredo to play in the event.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby SnookerFan

Some surprising nations entered there, but can't be bad. Obviously, teams like Afghanistan or UAE don't have much chance of winning, but it's a fun doubles event.

If I was too complain, I would say that having two Thailand teams is a bit poor. It doesn't make it a proper World Cup if in my eyes, if one nation is allowed to enter twice. But, that's being pedantic.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby SnookerFan

And, of course the inevitable question. Think this tournament will get on Eurosport?

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

god i do hope this will be televised you got some interesting new tour pros to have a look at Luca Brecel and even younger Kacper Filipiak.

the Belgian team looks a strong team TBH Stronger than Australia and Hong Kong id say.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Witz78

Be a shame if Figuerido doesnt play in this, even if he is quitting pro snooker. The fact he survived on tour in his first season is still a great achievment and its a pity he doesnt feel that he can make a living from the game, but if thats his attitude that he will never get close to reaching the top then good riddance, thats the mediocrity that Hearn and me dont want around :D

2 Thailand teams aint a terrible idea to be honest, anything to get better crowds, more interest. No-one remember the World Club Championships in Football held in Brazil a decade ago (remember the hoo hah about Man Yoo skipping the FA Cup because of it) Well, 2 of the 8 teams that played in it were actually Brazilian and they ended up in the final, Vasco de Gama and Corinthians i think !?!

Why do Brazil and Germany get straight into the last 16 but Belgium, Poland etc dont. Must be something to do with Hearns marketing push for these 2 countries.

One last sad thing to see here is the ommission of Hann from the Aussie team <doh> what a missed opportunity this is to welcome back the Boy Wonder :mood:

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Monique

Hold on! If you don't earn enough money to pay your bills and feed your family, that's not an attitude, it's a fact of life and a hard one. It's not mediocrity, it's reality. Igor is 33 and a father, not some young lad still supported by his family.
It's about time a few of you get real on this board!

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Hold on! If you don't earn enough money to pay your bills and feed your family, that's not an attitude, it's a fact of life and a hard one. It's not mediocrity, it's reality. Igor is 33 and a father, not some young lad still supported by his family.
It's about time a few of you get real on this board!

i dont want to go down this on here or sonny will be doing the splits again lol

we do understand and i don't blame igor for making the decision its his decision and it looks like hes done that move and respect him for taking his life in his hands without moaning about life as a snooker player is tough....he pinpointed it and got out.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Roland

I'm not going to do the splits, I just roll my eyes and move on :santa:

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Casey

Northern Ireland: Mark Allen and Gerard Greene


<doh>

Should have been Swail.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Witz78

Personally i think Santos should get a WIldcard onto tour in place of Igor then.

Santos is no mug from what ive heard and would bolster German ranks on the tour again just as we really could do with a German on tour too given the games expansion there.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Northern Ireland: Mark Allen and Gerard Greene


<doh>

Should have been Swail.


its ranking based

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:Northern Ireland: Mark Allen and Gerard Greene


<doh>

Should have been Swail.


its ranking based


i think the top ranked player from each country should have been an automatic pick then a Wildcard should have been picked. The tournament would be more attractive and presitgous with the likes of Swail, Ronnie, Hendry etc

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:Northern Ireland: Mark Allen and Gerard Greene


<doh>

Should have been Swail.


its ranking based


i think the top ranked player from each country should have been an automatic pick then a Wildcard should have been picked. The tournament would be more attractive and presitgous with the likes of Swail, Ronnie, Hendry etc

i think it should be 3 men teams on that principle 2 Rankings and a wild card pick.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby GJ

BS from aussie selectors wheres vinnie FFS

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby SnookerFan

I was never much of a fan of Quinten, thought he was a bit of a hammer. Besides, knowing Hann, he would've only told organisers to buck off.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Monique

well Neil seems to be happy with his team mate. That's him tweeting this morning
nr147 Neil Robertson
Congrats to a good mate, great bloke and Aussie #1 Steve Mifsud, my teammate for the World Cup in Thailand.


TBH Vinnie Calabrese - who was another potential candidate - came across as a very sympathetic bloke when I saw him at the mixed doubles in Bury St Edmonds early April but I was unimpressed with his game. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe he didn't take the event seriously ... or maybe it was all those girls around him that troubled him :chin:

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:well Neil seems to be happy with his team mate. That's him tweeting this morning
nr147 Neil Robertson
Congrats to a good mate, great bloke and Aussie #1 Steve Mifsud, my teammate for the World Cup in Thailand.


TBH Vinnie Calabrese - who was another potential candidate - came across as a very sympathetic bloke when I saw him at the mixed doubles in Bury St Edmonds early April but I was unimpressed with his game. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe he didn't take the event seriously ... or maybe it was all those girls around him that troubled him :chin:

so Mifsud is the No 1 player in Australia and former World Amateur Champion in 2002 and Runner up to Mark Allen in 2004 so he is no mug... but mifsud is 38 years of age so you can understand him not trying in Q School.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Canada what a rich history in snooker 5 times they played in the final winning 2 times of the initial Team championship with some Great Players Cliff Thorburn,Kirk Stevens and Bill Werbeuniuk and others through the years Jim Wych,Bob Chaperone and Alain Robidoux and here in 2011 no Canadian team playing in the World Cup but There's a Team from Afghanistan,UAE and Egypt.

So Sad we know there's a undercurrent of a Sport there still but its more for the Older Generation only this week the Canadian championship is on but its senior snooker with different discipline of pool played.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:Boycotting this muck :win: :wave: <ok>


You think everything is muck, to be fair.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby randam05

Lets face it, theres only one winner, scotland.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:Lets face it, theres only one winner, scotland.


id love it if they go beat :hatoff:

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:Higgins doesnt get beat.. :hatoff:


Well he was, by Mark Joyce in the Pink Ribbon some 10 days ago and it's not that he did not care. He was beaten fair and square. Now to be fair to him he wasn't at his best, he had quite a bout of hay fever.

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:Higgins doesnt get beat.. :hatoff:


Well he was, by Mark Joyce in the Pink Ribbon some 10 days ago and it's not that he did not care. He was beaten fair and square. Now to be fair to him he wasn't at his best, he had quite a bout of hay fever.

Yeh, he was being literal Mon, he thought Higgins has never lost a match :roll: