Topic locked

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby wheelsofsteel

Steve K wrote:The 2011/2012 season sees the return of the Snooker World Cup! What teams and format would you like to see?

I think 8 teams in 2 groups would be good. Each team plays each other once and the top 2 teams in each group goes through to the semi finals. Each group match should be best of 5 and each team must use all 3 of there players in each match. Before each match the ref tosses a coin to find out which team has to nominate a player to go first which gives an advantage to the other team as they can choose a player to play against that players weaknesses.

I think each team should only have a maximum of 2 players from the top 32 to give lower ranked players a chance at an appearance on the TV.

Possible teams;

England 1 - O'Sullivan, Bingham, White
England 2 - Carter, Gould, S. Davis
Wales - Williams, Stevens, Dale
Scotland - Higgins, Campbell, McGill
Northern & RO Ireland - Allen, Doherty, O'Brien
China - Ding, Wenbo, Zhang
Thailand & Hong Kong - Fu, Wattana, Thirapaipongboon
Rest of World - Robertson, Drago, Figueiredo


What do you guys think?


:hankey:

Two England teams? Why not three or four from China?

Maybe that's what should happen in football, two England teams

It's not a World Cup if you have Rest of the World and Thailand/Hong Kong

Why not join the two Ireland's?

Or Robertson sounds a Scotch name

What about a European team?

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Wildey

yes we musent have this England A and England B Coblers of the 80s World Team.

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby SnookerFan

Any chance of that getting on television? The Team China vs Team International thing on television a few weeks ago, was actually quite entertaining.

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby PLtheRef

Well, its 20 teams for the World Cup,

and the rumour I've heard is that D1-4 are Group matches, Four Groups of Five - Best of five frames - two from each to qualify

Quarter-Finals and Semi-Finals (D5 AND 6) - Best of 11 frames

Final - Best of 19 frames.

Would be as it was in 1996 - albeit with some shorter matches.

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby GJ

im hearing hann may be allowd to partner robbo in this event

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:im hearing hann may be allowd to partner robbo in this event


Source?

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Smart

Smart wrote:Rest of the World

Drago
Thorburn
Fu

<ok>

England

Ronnie
MCD
Milkins

Scotland

Mags
McManus
Dotty

Ireland/Northern Ireland

KenDoh
Allen
Judge

China

Zhanger (captain)
Song
Ding

Wales

Dale
Choker Stevens
Day


yeah I'm happy with this :idea:

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:im hearing hann may be allowd to partner robbo in this event


Source?



HP <ok>

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby jojo

if there are sixteen teams then they should have four groups of four teams playing each other once meaning all teams play three group matches top two go through to quarter finals

if there are three players per team then matches should be a maximum of best of eight in the group stages that being you can either draw 4-4 to win one point each or the match finishes when a team reaches five frames receiving three points that way dead frames shouldnt have to be played and frame difference will count if points are level at the end of the group stage

i would also like to see alternating shots between the players like they have in golf think they call it foursomes it would be good to see say someone like williams and stevens make a combined break ie if stevens pots the first red williams then go for the colour then stevens for the red etc

if this a team event mix and match would be good a combination of singles doubles and doubles with alternating shots this would be fun but whether they actually apply it in practice is another matter

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:if there are sixteen teams then they should have four groups of four teams playing each other once meaning all teams play three group matches top two go through to quarter finals

if there are three players per team then matches should be a maximum of best of eight in the group stages that being you can either draw 4-4 to win one point each or the match finishes when a team reaches five frames receiving three points that way dead frames shouldnt have to be played and frame difference will count if points are level at the end of the group stage

i would also like to see alternating shots between the players like they have in golf think they call it foursomes it would be good to see say someone like williams and stevens make a combined break ie if stevens pots the first red williams then go for the colour then stevens for the red etc

if this a team event mix and match would be good a combination of singles doubles and doubles with alternating shots this would be fun but whether they actually apply it in practice is another matter

from what i can gather it will be alternating shots in the doubles.

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Tubberlad

Just looking at the World Snooker calendar, it would seem this is finishing the day before a ranking event, I think the Australian one.

Is this true? If they want a quality event, which this has the potential to be, they'd better get that one sorted.

On the subject of alternating shots, that's a fantastic idea. Would really underline the team aspect of this

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby GJ

Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:im hearing hann may be allowd to partner robbo in this event


Source?



Pat Mooney via Crime Watch UK

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo



:shock:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :hatoff: :hatoff: :happy: :happy:

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Is he allowed? I'm no fan of his :roll:

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Is he allowed? I'm no fan of his :roll:

well considering he has another 3 years to go on his ban id say its highly unlikely.

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Is he allowed? I'm no fan of his :roll:

well considering he has another 3 years to go on his ban id say its highly unlikely.


Higgins got back in with 7 and a half years of his left :no: :grrr:

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Casey

They are using the ranking list to decide who goes so I doubt Hann will be there. The England team will be Selby and Murphy

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Bourne

Casey wrote:They are using the ranking list to decide who goes so I doubt Hann will be there. The England team will be Selby and Murphy

Think I might support China then :|

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Is he allowed? I'm no fan of his :roll:

well considering he has another 3 years to go on his ban id say its highly unlikely.



my source is ...

drum roll

















HP

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Where is this being held?

thailand

and case is right its on the current ranking list http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/WorldR ... 76,00.html

Wales-Williams and Stevens
Scotland-Higgins and Maguire
England-Selby and Murphy
China-Ding and Liang
Australia-Robertson and GJ ????
Northern Ireland-Allen and Greene
Hong Kong-Marco Fu and Franky Chan from retierment ??
Republic of Ireland-Doherty and O'Brien
Malta-Tony Drago and Alex Borg ????
Thailand-Wattana and Thirapongpaiboon
Brazil- Figuieredo on his own hes big enough <laugh>
Norway-Maflin and any takers

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby wheelsofsteel

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:Ok i have heard news from oz hann is considering playing in this along side robbo

Is he allowed? I'm no fan of his :roll:

well considering he has another 3 years to go on his ban id say its highly unlikely.



my source is ...

drum roll

















HP


you read it off the sauce bottle

Re: Snooker World Cup

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Where is this being held?

thailand

and case is right its on the current ranking list http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/WorldR ... 76,00.html

Wales-Williams and Stevens
Scotland-Higgins and Maguire
England-Selby and Murphy
China-Ding and Liang
Australia-Robertson and GJ ????
Northern Ireland-Allen and Greene
Hong Kong-Marco Fu and Franky Chan from retierment ??
Republic of Ireland-Doherty and O'Brien
Malta-Tony Drago and Alex Borg ????
Thailand-Wattana and Thirapongpaiboon
Brazil- Figuieredo on his own hes big enough <laugh>
Norway-Maflin and any takers


U forgetting Belgium - Haneveer and Brecel <ok>

and Itaro Santos can partner Big Igor for the Brazilians <ok>