Post a reply

Re: Yan Bingtao

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:There are different types of criticism.

It's one thing to say a player's positional play isn't good enough and suggest he works on his cue-ball.

It's another thing to say a player dull and not worth watching.

Who said that about him?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I thought people were a bit sour about him during the Players Championship.

Postby lhpirnie

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I thought people were a bit sour about him during the Players Championship.

Yes. And the UK Championship. And the Welsh Open. And the Hendry-O'Sullivan podcasts.

The kid's only 20.

Postby SnookerEd25

Only 20?

Jesus, he’s really dragging out this growing-up thing, the bloody grinder.

Postby Pink Ball

lhpirnie wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I thought people were a bit sour about him during the Players Championship.

Yes. And the UK Championship. And the Welsh Open. And the Hendry-O'Sullivan podcasts.

The kid's only 20.

If he's going to be as good as I think he'll be, he'll have to have a certain type of mindset, and if he has that kind of mindset, those comments will not have a negative impact on his career, high up or low down.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

The kid's only 20.

If he's going to be as good as I think he'll be, he'll have to have a certain type of mindset, and if he has that kind of mindset, those comments will not have a negative impact on his career, high up or low down.

Agree, I think he does have that mindset, he started to prove it this year. He was the next big thing 3 years ago, then dropped off (distracted by girlfriend more than anything I reckon), but came back this year. He's definitely mature beyond his years and don't think the comments will adversely affect him.

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

The kid's only 20.

Agree, I think he does have that mindset, he started to prove it this year. He was the next big thing 3 years ago, then dropped off (distracted by girlfriend more than anything I reckon), but came back this year. He's definitely mature beyond his years and don't think the comments will adversely affect him.

Best young player since Ding, by a mile

Postby Prop

lhpirnie wrote:

The kid's only 20.

Let it go, mate. I know you’re a really strong supporter of the Chinese players, and it’s great to see that. But when you’ve got poster after poster on here basically saying ‘he’s a fantastic prospect so needs to develop a thick skin to reach the very top, just like any other top sportsman’, in a thread started by another poster singing his praises, there’s not a great deal more you can ask for, is there?!

If he’s good enough, he’s good enough. Simple as that. Being the best in any sport cuts through any criticism.

Do you think Davis never got criticism for being boring to watch?

Do you think Selby never got called dull?

Do you think Hendry never got criticism for being too attacking?

Do you think Ronnie never got criticism for his temperament?

Do you think Williams never got criticism for appearing to not take the game seriously?

Do you think Trump never got criticism for failing to live up to the hype?

What about when Hendry directly told Robertson his breakbuilding was amateurish? Did Robertson sulk? Or did he use that criticism to become a machine and subsequently be the first player to make over 100 centuries in a season?

Every single player worth mentioning has had negative comments and criticism to deal with. All of them. And furthermore, one can expect even harsher criticism the more successful they become. Not just in sport, but in any competitive arena. ‘Haters gonna hate’ and all that.

I don’t know what a satisfactory conclusion to this discussion looks like to you. Maybe all of us saying “yeah those nasty pundits really gang up on him, they treat him unfairly”? You’ll be waiting a while for that to happen, I’m afraid.

Yan will be fine. And I’d hope that if he ever happened to read this thread, he’d have the aptitude to take it constructively, recognise praise when he sees it, and maybe realise a massive part of being at the top is dealing with anything or anyone trying to knock you off it.
Last edited by Prop on 21 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

Oh SF, you’re so predictable. Don’t ever change :)

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

rofl

Postby lhpirnie

Ck147 wrote:Agree, I think he does have that mindset, he started to prove it this year. He was the next big thing 3 years ago, then dropped off (distracted by girlfriend more than anything I reckon), but came back this year. He's definitely mature beyond his years and don't think the comments will adversely affect him.

He's been with the girlfriend just 1 year, so if anything she's been partly responsible for his resurgence.

It's quite normal for a young player to have a bright start and then suffer a loss of form, when they are trying to push on to the next level. All players have ups and downs of form, but young players don't yet have the experience to dig themselves out.

The end of the match against Bingham in the Welsh Open was amazing. Yan was 60-0 down in the decider, needed 3 snookers and them pulled of a fantastic clearance on the colours. It was watched by a handful of people, which shows that you can have really tense and dramatic snooker without a large crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv4DkeVyf-0

Postby TheSaviour

Yeah, Yan certainly has that pedigree of just going for the relatively relaxed break while someone like Selby hits him with a two 80-breaks first. And to make that 80-break of his own. It is good and decent enough, as long as Yan keeps it relaxed. He doesn´t keep it all the time.

If he fixes that problem, I would state he is a top-10 player.

But impresses with me regarding this country, is the language skills of all the residents. Yeah. The language skills of foreign languages. They all can and will use the word, for sure. For sure, I do believe it, they all will be using the word. Yeah. Fluent speakers of foreign languages.

And I have heard that Ga-Ga-Ga-Gary´s li-li-li-lkely going to get his grabbing working during the next weekend.

Fluent and innovative speakers of all the foreign languages. And the top of it, using the word, also. I am 100% sure they all will be using the word, once again, and against my liking. Excessively, using the word. And the top of that too, awfully proud regarding their own looks. And the top of that too, an awfully outspoken persons all of them also, for sure, yeah.

If there´s a problem, it is repaired straight away. They speak about it, they use the mobile to fix the problem, and soon it is repaired and fixed. That´s what I really like regarding this nation. If there´s problem, it will be repaired straight away. No manana manana, but to straight away.

It was supposed to be a revolution. Revolution needs a genuine leader…

Come On Jimmy! Come On Jamie!

Postby Alex0paul

I had a dream that Yan spoke perfect English

Postby Prop

TheSaviour wrote:Yeah, Yan certainly has that pedigree of just going for the relatively relaxed break while someone like Selby hits him with a two 80-breaks first. And to make that 80-break of his own. It is good and decent enough, as long as Yan keeps it relaxed. He doesn´t keep it all the time.

If he fixes that problem, I would state he is a top-10 player.

But impresses with me regarding this country, is the language skills of all the residents. Yeah. The language skills of foreign languages. They all can and will use the word, for sure. For sure, I do believe it, they all will be using the word. Yeah. Fluent speakers of foreign languages.

And I have heard that Ga-Ga-Ga-Gary´s li-li-li-lkely going to get his grabbing working during the next weekend.

Fluent and innovative speakers of all the foreign languages. And the top of it, using the word, also. I am 100% sure they all will be using the word, once again, and against my liking. Excessively, using the word. And the top of that too, awfully proud regarding their own looks. And the top of that too, an awfully outspoken persons all of them also, for sure, yeah.

If there´s a problem, it is repaired straight away. They speak about it, they use the mobile to fix the problem, and soon it is repaired and fixed. That´s what I really like regarding this nation. If there´s problem, it will be repaired straight away. No manana manana, but to straight away.

It was supposed to be a revolution. Revolution needs a genuine leader…

Come On Jimmy! Come On Jamie!

Well that’s cleared things up.

Postby SnookerEd25

Alex0paul wrote:I had a dream that Yan spoke perfect English

Funny, I had a dream theSaviour posted in perfect English

Postby lhpirnie

His English is not too bad - I have spoken to him. He's quite nervous about giving live interviews.

But ITV won't even interview Liang Wenbo, probably because they fear his accent will affect their viewing figures. Interpreters, subtitles or foreign accents are generally considered a bad thing by broadcasters, so they tend not to go there.

Postby Prop

lhpirnie wrote:

His English is not too bad - I have spoken to him. He's quite nervous about giving live interviews.

But ITV won't even interview Liang Wenbo, probably because they fear his accent will affect their viewing figures. Interpreters, subtitles or foreign accents are generally considered a bad thing by broadcasters, so they tend not to go there.

You’re convinced there’s an anti-China agenda in snooker, aren’t you.

Postby Prop

Neal Foulds tonight on Yan:

“The finest young talent anywhere in the world”

/thread

Postby lhpirnie

The Jester from Leicester wrote:Overrated.

Perhaps, but still a bit harsh to write off a 20-year old, as some seem to have done. He's still not comfortable on the main table yet.

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:

Perhaps, but still a bit harsh to write off a 20-year old, as some seem to have done. He's still not comfortable on the main table yet.

You wrote him off to lose 9-4.

Postby Prop

At this point, the only logical summary is that lhpirnie is trolling.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

That is true! My predictions are never very good. But perhaps a bit of reverse psychology...

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:
Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

That is true! My predictions are never very good. But perhaps a bit of reverse psychology...

<laugh>

Any time you mention pundits’ lack of faith in Yan I’m going to remind you of this prediction!

Postby lhpirnie

Prop wrote:At this point, the only logical summary is that lhpirnie is trolling.

You're probably right.

Postby Juddernaut88

I predicated Yan to win 9-8 lol.

Postby csprince

i enjoy watching bingtao i think its refreshing to see a 20 year old that doesn't just bash the balls and go for everything.under the old points system on my 12 month rankings bingtao would be world no5 and will be no4 if allen fails to beat selby if this was tennis people would be raving about bingtao being top 5 at the age of 20 but for some reason he gets undeserved stick in some quarters go figure.