Post a reply

1994 UK Championship Final

Postby rekoons

https://onefoursevendotblog.wordpress.c ... g-display/

Came across this the other day, and as I missed the 90's dominant Hendry era this article made me look up the final on youtube.

I'm halfway through the old, grainy, low quality footage, but what a terrific display of breakbuilding and brutal long potting :bowdown: poor Ken.

I've heard some forum members (Holden i believe it was) keep repeating how brutal Hendry's long potting was during his prime, and I have to say that based on this final it's justified.

Never doubted the man, but I never really bothered to watch entire matches during his 90's dominance.

Re: 1994 UK Championship Final

Postby SnookerEd25

He was quite the player, though if you went by this forum alone you'd think he was an over-rated numpty who'd get eaten alive in the modern game.

Until someone surpasses 7 worlds, still the GOAT for me (cue another debate...)

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:I've heard some forum members (Holden i believe it was) keep repeating how brutal Hendry's long potting was during his prime, and I have to say that based on this final it's justified..

Yes!

I say Hendry was one of the greatest long potters of all time. Under pressure maybe he was the best. He didn't play fancy shots with crazy screw backs and stuff, but he potted the long ones very consistently, even under pressure, and got position on a colour, mostly on the black.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:He was quite the player, though if you went by this forum alone you'd think he was an over-rated numpty who'd get eaten alive in the modern game.

Until someone surpasses 7 worlds, still the GOAT for me (cue another debate...)

I think most people on here know how good Hendry was. Only Johnny Bravo doesn't have a clue. For me, Ronnie is the GOAT, but Hendry definitely is in the discussion.

Postby mick745

The period between 1992-1996 Hendry was awesome. He basically had JW beaten after Frame 1 in the 1993 world final when he had a total clearance with his very first shot (White only broke off). In one of the UK's (1995 i think) he beat J.Higgins 9-1 in the SF and P.Ebdon 10-3 in the final, with a 146 in the last frame having got a 147 earlier in the tournament. He destroyed all other players regularly, and was especially dominant in what are now called the triple crown events. He was never the same player though after the 2002 world final.