Post a reply

Re: The WC is the only major in snooker

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Well if we are picking holes in made up titles, what about 'major'?

Yeah this is a great point.

Snooker has a tiered system in terms of title prestige, beyond prize money. Prize money obviously plays a part (not least because it encourages stronger fields) but there's also format, venue, history, player interest etc.

The WC stands on its own but the second tier gets a little murky depending on who you speak to and how much they value each of the various factors.

When i was growing up in the 80s you had The World Championship, UK Championship (only because it had long matches) and then the rest.

as time gone on the Masters has gained prestiege and The UK Has lost prestiege so now you got

1 World Championship
2 Masters
3 UK, China Events, Coral Series and CoC
4 Home Nations, European and German Masters
5 Riga, Gibraltar

you cant diferentiate the UK Bigger than other events now.

But The Masters looks a top notch event and makes it different and looks different to other tournaments now.

Postby Iranu

I think the UK’s format change has had a negative impact on how its history is factored in to these discussions.

Postby PLtheRef

Iranu wrote:I think the UK’s format change has had a negative impact on how its history is factored in to these discussions.

The UK's format change is certainly one of the reasons why it has been diminished. Now there are a number of ranking events which have Semi-Finals and Finals which are longer than the event which will always be described as the second biggest ranking event after the World Championship.

Changing the format of the UK Championship will always go down as one of Hearn's mistakes - with the changes made latterly to hold half of the first and second rounds in the Sports Hall undermining one of the reasons why the event went to Best of 11 Frames in the first instance.

Upon reflection, would the changes have received such a hostile response had they come later on, with more events having two session semi-finals etc?

The History of an event does say a lot about how its viewed - in the same way that offering a huge prize doesn't automatically make a short-format a major event but you are right that the format changes have had a negative impact on how the event is viewed and could happen with any event - could you imagine if they made the Masters an EFL trophy style event and restricted it to players from outside the 16 - The history wouldn't alleviate the damage done to it.

I watch it the UK, always will but I'll still yearn for the days of the Best of 17 matches when it had something which really did stand it out from the other events.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I'll have you know, nothing makes me think.....

But, ironically, quite a lot of things make you toilet... :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:The Masters is the GOAT snooker tournament.

the German Masters? Or Shanghai?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:The Masters is the GOAT snooker tournament.

the German Masters? Or Shanghai?

If you win all 3 you get the Triple Crown.

Postby mick745

What do players grow up wanting to be? They all dream of being world champion. That's it. If you dont become world champion you never fully fulfilled your career.

It is what you are judged on in the end.

Postby The Ace

mick745 wrote:What do players grow up wanting to be? They all dream of being world champion. That's it. If you dont become world champion you never fully fulfilled your career.

It is what you are judged on in the end.

This is very true. If Jimmy had managed to win just one World Title, his career would be viewed so differently now.

Postby SnookerEd25

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:They should scrap all the other tournaments.

Except the Shootout.

But it shouldn't be a ranker.

Postby The Ace

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Except the Shootout.

If the Shootout was on BBC they'd consider it to be part of the quadruple crown.

Postby SnookerFan

The Ace wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Except the Shootout.

If the Shootout was on BBC they'd consider it to be part of the quadruple crown.

True.

Postby Wildey

Historicly there is no such thing as the Triple Crown you can pin point when that was first used to around 2010 when the BBC droped the 4th event they had. All 3 event was running 33 years side by side without being refered to as the triple crown.

Ive Never liked that term and in recent years it is grating on a lot more people.

Re: The tournament at The Crucible is snooker's only major.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:For a while The British Broadcasting Corporation have claiming that the sport of snooker have 3 major tournaments each season. You must have heard presenters, pundits, and commentators attached to tournaments screened on BBC referencing 'Triple Crown' events. I never bought in to any of it. They are just trying to push their own agenda.

The only major tournament in snooker is 'The World Professional Snooker Championship' held each year at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield (pandemics permitting).

This is a factual piece and needs absolutely no embellishment.

Serious question: What vegan friendly alcohol do you drink?

There are a few. Several spirits, some cider, and all German beer is Vegan. Most alcohol is Vegan.

I thought all spirits were vegan, but wine and beer you had to be careful as a lot use animal products in some part of the production. What are you drinking tonight?

Water!

Most spirits are Vegan. I think a few brands of some spirits aren't. I don't drink wine. And I only drink a few beers.

There is a website called Barnivore which lists all alcohol and whether or not it is Vegan.

Thanks. My cue wine is not vegan friendly.