Post a reply

What was the score in the 1972 World Final?

Postby mick745

Traditionally snooker records have recorded the 1972 World Championship Final as Alex Higgins 37-32 John Spencer. However, a couple of other sources have this as 37-31. Which is correct.

Page 8 of the Cuesport book of professional snooker for instances says:

"Higgins triumphed 37-31 (not 37-32 as so many publications have wrongly printed)" - why say that if it wasn't the case?

Cuetracker has 37-32 but two framescores are missing:

https://cuetracker.net/tournaments/worl ... p/1972/906

The complete International Director of snooker players - John Kobylecky has 37-31 (page 225) as the score stating "The key to his victory was his session whitewash which took him to 27-21. Spencer closed to 31-33 ahead of Higgins' four frame winning run to the line".

Seems strange that there is a disputed score in a world final. What is the truth?

Re: What was the score in the 1972 World Final?

Postby SnookerEd25

Ordinarily, i would trust Clive Everton as the font of all (snooker & billiards) knowledge. In his 'the Story of Billiards & Snooker' (published 1978) he gives the score as 37-32. Perhaps we'll never know for sure. I suppose we have to trust the official sources; the WST website, for example, has it 37-31 so I guess that is the 'official' score. I would love to know how the confusion came about though.

Even better, I'd love to hear from someone who was there...

Postby SnookerEd25

Seems the newspapers of the day were reporting it as 37-31. I'd go with that. The fact that there is one frame (out of the whole final) with a 'missing frame score' is more than dubious.

Tried posting links but they don't seem to work properly. Seen Sports pages from the Sydney Morning Herald, the Glasgow Morning Post and the Age (?) all from the day after the conclusion and all reporting as 37-31.

Postby mick745

SnookerEd25 wrote:Ordinarily, i would trust Clive Everton as the font of all (snooker & billiards) knowledge. In his 'the Story of Billiards & Snooker' (published 1978) he gives the score as 37-32. Perhaps we'll never know for sure. I suppose we have to trust the official sources; the WST website, for example, has it 37-31 so I guess that is the 'official' score. I would love to know how the confusion came about though.

Even better, I'd love to hear from someone who was there...

It would seem very likely that Clive Everton would have been there in person, reporting for Snooker Scene yet just six years later printed the score wrongly in his own publication (maybe?).

i guess snooker scene would have carried a full report of the match - with reporters that had been in attendance - so what did Clive Everton's magazine say i wonder?