Post a reply

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby HappyCamper

yes he's had back problems for a while now and was considering it. not really a surprise .

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:His last professional match was a 5-4 defeat by Matthew Stevens in the qualifying for the German Masters.


BATTLE OF THE LEGENDS!

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby TheRocket

mick745 wrote:His last professional match was a 5-4 defeat by Matthew Stevens in the qualifying for the German Masters.


Stevens will be satisfied he got revenge for his painful defeat in the World Championship Semi final 2002.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Iranu

No coincidence that Ebdon has releases this information shortly after Hendry appears to be returning to the tour. Clearly he is trying to make Hendry underestimate him again in the 2021 World Championship final.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:
mick745 wrote:His last professional match was a 5-4 defeat by Matthew Stevens in the qualifying for the German Masters.


Stevens will be satisfied he got revenge for his painful defeat in the World Championship Semi final 2002.

rofl

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby HustleKing

Great player and thoroughly enjoyed him unintentionally trolling all the fans who say there's only proper way to play snooker.

A shame he had to retire through injury, but he did well to make it this far with his lengthy AST's and consequently increased time spent crouching down.

Also noticed that guy in the Twitter replies to Carter's message calling him a parakeet. Can't remember Ebdon being touted as a cheater before, so must be sour grapes on Alan's behalf over Ebdon's play style

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby SteveJJ

HustleKing wrote:Great player and thoroughly enjoyed him unintentionally trolling all the fans who say there's only proper way to play snooker.

A shame he had to retire through injury, but he did well to make it this far with his lengthy AST's and consequently increased time spent crouching down.

Also noticed that guy in the Twitter replies to Carter's message calling him a parakeet. Can't remember Ebdon being touted as a cheater before, so must be sour grapes on Alan's behalf over Ebdon's play style


https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... 21/snooker

Remember ref thought he was deliberately playing below his normal level to the point where he reported it and drew pics of key shots that appeared in Snooker Scene. If there was anything untoward it helped that the match wasnt televised and perhaps that he was on the board and at a time the then administration weren't on top of these things.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby mick745

Some people also thought he lapsed into gamesmanship with deliberately slow play in an attempt to unsettle and put off his opponents.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Juddernaut88

mick745 wrote:Some people also thought he lapsed into gamesmanship with deliberately slow play in an attempt to unsettle and put off his opponents.


:goodpost:

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:I don’t think he even realised how slowly he was playing. He’s exactly the kind of intense character who’d fall into that zone without realising.

Doesn’t mean the ref shouldn’t have warned him. It was unfair, deliberate or not.


I also don't think he did it deliberately, like you say, he was so much in the zone that he didnt realise how slow he was. I think it was also because he wanted to win so badly that he made 100% sure every shot was played the right way.

But yes, the referee has every right to give the player a word if he feels he's playing way too slow.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Ck147

I won't miss him, but hope he gets his back sorted.
Last edited by Ck147 on 01 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I don’t think he even realised how slowly he was playing. He’s exactly the kind of intense character who’d fall into that zone without realising.

Doesn’t mean the ref shouldn’t have warned him. It was unfair, deliberate or not.


I also don't think he did it deliberately, like you say, he was so much in the zone that he didnt realise how slow he was. I think it was also because he wanted to win so badly that he made 100% sure every shot was played the right way.

But yes, the referee has every right to give the player a word if he feels he's playing way too slow.

Him doing it deliberately wouldn’t surprise me but nor would him doing it by accident. As you both say he’s a very intense competitor. I don’t think it’s a huge gap between the intense desire to win and “win at all costs”. Not that he would have consciously thought, “I’m going to slow down play to a ridiculous pace here,” but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an element of strategy to it and his intensity made it worse than he’d intended without him realising. I do think had he been warned he would have sped up, so the referee was more at fault.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Acé

Good riddance i'm sure the thousands of bums he puts in seats cuz of his eye catching snooker will miss him, i'm SO SURE they're all scrambling for his autograph lmao

oh what an impact he's made LOL

fluked a world title after Hendry choked/took Ebdon lightly/didn't give him enough respect as Ebdon is objectively beneath him/ on a high after beating Ronnie. Hendry should've won his 8th

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:Good riddance i'm sure the thousands of bums he puts in seats cuz of his eye catching snooker will miss him, i'm SO SURE they're all scrambling for his autograph lmao

oh what an impact he's made LOL

fluked a world title after Hendry choked/took Ebdon lightly/didn't give him enough respect as Ebdon is objectively beneath him/ on a high after beating Ronnie. Hendry should've won his 8th


Yes, because it's a well known fact that you only have to play one match in order to become World Champion.

Good job that Ebdon didn't have to win, say, four multi-session matches on his way to the final. No, he fluked a World Title because the one opponent he played took him lightly.

That's why you never saw Ebdon win any other tournaments, the flukester.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Acé wrote:Good riddance i'm sure the thousands of bums he puts in seats cuz of his eye catching snooker will miss him, i'm SO SURE they're all scrambling for his autograph lmao

oh what an impact he's made LOL

fluked a world title after Hendry choked/took Ebdon lightly/didn't give him enough respect as Ebdon is objectively beneath him/ on a high after beating Ronnie. Hendry should've won his 8th

Image

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Dan-cat

Ebdon was an absolute power house when he broke through, an awesome emotional player with a sexy pony tail. I loved him. He did somewhat buck his legacy up with that slow play quarter final against Ronnie.

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Yes, because it's a well known fact that you only have to play one match in order to become World Champion.

Good job that Ebdon didn't have to win, say, four multi-session matches on his way to the final..

It's so annoying when people act as if a World Championship is just the final. As if the other matches mean nothing. <doh>

Re: Peter Ebdon retiring?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Ebdon was an absolute power house when he broke through, an awesome emotional player with a sexy pony tail. I loved him. He did somewhat buck his legacy up with that slow play quarter final against Ronnie.


Ronnie had ample opportunities to win the frames he needed in that match.

People gripe that Ebdon played slow, but nobody ever gripes about Ronnie's inability to deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I find Ebdon's snail pace incredibly dull, and am not a fan of his. But if a player can't deal with his style, that's not Ebdon's problem. It's his opponent's.


   

cron