Post a reply

Re: Crucible Classics #6

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I can't remember because it's about ten years since I read about it but he wasn't really doing anything but was clearly struggling with the match and Hendry picked up on it.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I remember a story years ago about Ebdon cracking up during the interval of the 1995 UK Championship final and Hendry seeing it. That might have gave him the feeling he owned Ebdon.

When you say cracking up, you mean like mentally breaking down? I say cracking up to mean having a laughing fit.

I think Ebdon was smoking crack.

Maybe that's why he goes to the bog so often.

Postby mick745

Pink Ball wrote:
mick745 wrote:Hendry admits in his autobiography that he took his opponent too lightly, especially at the beginning of the match.

Hendry had also taken his opponent too lightly in the 1988 UK Championship final against Doug Mountjoy.

By the time he realised he needed to play at his best it was already a titanic battle.

I feel Hendry should have won his 8th world title here. Hendry thinks he should have won his 8th world title here.

Let's be honest how many put Ebdon down as a potential world champion?

Emmm... ten ranking titles, three times World finalist, two triple crown wins... in my opinion, just outside of the top ten players of all time... many of the players who’ve overtaken him — Selby, Robertson, Trump, Ding — came along AFTER this final, so he was probably even higher at that stage.

So: I tipped him to become World Champion. A lot of people did.

The revisionism of Ebdon’s career is baffling. You’d swear he was Joe Johnson.

There is no doubt that Ebdon is a fantastic player, but he was at that time a surprise world champion in many people's eyes. Us snooker aficionado's know what a great career he has had, but Hendry in his own mind thought he'd win and Ebdon would lose.

Ebdon was widely seen as being too intense and too emotional to win the big one over 17 marathon days.

He had only 4 ranking titles up to this point, in his 11 years as a pro, all of them considered relatively minor tournaments. Hendry had won easily in the only previous meeting in a world final, as well as their only other meeting in a triple crown final in the UK Championship.

It shocked a lot of people who had already got their King Hendry the 8th headlines written.