Post a reply

Re: Shittest Crucible Matches

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpNb2v8R8uo

I never really understood why he was so upset as Angles would have potted the blue and pink. Have I missed something?

I don't understand it either. I think both players were a bit confused.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I never really understood why he was so upset as Angles would have potted the blue and pink. Have I missed something?

I don't understand it either. I think both players were a bit confused.

Fair enough - not just me then.

Postby McManusFan

I love that clip, especially the bit where Alan says he's happy to accept the concession, he's got such a cheeky little look on his face. What a guy!

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I don't think there was anything to miss, he was just acting like a idiot.

Probably his reason was that he conceded in anger, then realised that he shouldn't have just on the off-chance that Alan missed and left something on.

At least he had the grace to admit that un-conceding wouldn't have been fair to his opponent, I guess.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:For all of Drago's attacking ability, he was his own worst enemy at times. I don't think he had a great temperament, and certainly his temper could get the better of him.

I know that's me stating the obvious somewhat. But I wasn't a into snooker in 1996.

Was Ronnie just brilliant, or was he helped by Drago?

I think it was more Drago unravelling, though Ronnie was ruthless in pouncing on a wounded foe. I think (again, with hindsight) that Drago just wasn’t suited to multi-session matches - it was around this time that he was mesmerizing in opening up a 7-1 (I think it was) lead over John Higgins in a UK match, yet ended up stumbling over the line, 9-7 after a torrid second session.

Was that the match he made the fastest ever century?

Postby SnookerEd25

It was because a new rule had been implemented that season, in which a player would be fined if they conceded a frame when it was mathematically possible to still win with the balls left on the table.

When the referee informed him of this, is when he hit the roof.
Last edited by SnookerEd25 on 22 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

Unfortunately, you can't really tell in that link, as some tw*t decided it needed music over it. <doh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:It was because a new rule had been implemented that season, in which a player would be fined if they conceded a frame when it was mathematically possible to still win with the balls left on the table.

Oh, I see.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:It was because a new rule had been implemented that season, in which a player would be fined if they conceded a frame when it was mathematically possible to still win with the balls left on the table.

Really? I thought that rule was far older than that match.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Thanks snookered. Makes sense now

Postby Alex0paul

Mark King v Rory McLeod was a particularly rubbish match in 2009

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Mark King v Rory McLeod was a particularly rubbish match in 2009

It didn't fit my criteria but, yes, that was a load of rubbish

What was your criteria?

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Mark King v Rory McLeod was a particularly rubbish match in 2009

What was your criteria?

It's on the opening post.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

What was your criteria?

It's on the opening post.

So it is.

Postby The Ace

One of my favourites was 2013, but I actually remember it having so many bad first round matches.

Ronnie O’Sullivan 10-4 Marcus Campbell
Ali Carter 10-4 Ben Woollaston
Stuart Bingham 10-2 Sam Baird
Shaun Murphy 10-5 Martin Gould
Graeme Dott 10-6 Peter Ebdon (Not as one sided, but still rubbish)
Judd Trump 10-5 Dominic Dale
Ricky Walden 10-1 Michael Holt
Ding Junhui 10-5 Alan McManus
Barry Hawkins 10-3 Jack Lisowksi
Mark Selby 10-4 Matthew Selt

Postby vodkadiet1

A few beauties from 93:

Hendry - Fowler 10-1
Parrott - O'Connor 10-1
James - Giles 10-2
Bond - Dunn 10-4

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:A few beauties from 93:

Hendry - Fowler 10-1
Parrott - O'Connor 10-1
James - Giles 10-2
Bond - Dunn 10-4

1993 was a bucking awful tournament.

The qualifiers were played in the worst cubicles imaginable 7 months before the tournament started. Hardly surprising so many rubbish players qualified.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:A few beauties from 93:

Hendry - Fowler 10-1
Parrott - O'Connor 10-1
James - Giles 10-2
Bond - Dunn 10-4

1993 was a bucking awful tournament.

The qualifiers were played in the worst cubicles imaginable 7 months before the tournament started. Hardly surprising so many rubbish players qualified.

It was nuts back then having the qualifiers in September!

Those who qualified would never be in good shape to play decent snooker.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

There were some at the time trying to claim it was good matchplay snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

The Ace wrote:One of my favourites was 2013, but I actually remember it having so many bad first round matches.

Ronnie O’Sullivan 10-4 Marcus Campbell
Ali Carter 10-4 Ben Woollaston
Stuart Bingham 10-2 Sam Baird
Shaun Murphy 10-5 Martin Gould
Graeme Dott 10-6 Peter Ebdon (Not as one sided, but still rubbish)
Judd Trump 10-5 Dominic Dale
Ricky Walden 10-1 Michael Holt
Ding Junhui 10-5 Alan McManus
Barry Hawkins 10-3 Jack Lisowksi
Mark Selby 10-4 Matthew Selt

I was at that Walden and Holt match. rofl

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:For all of Drago's attacking ability, he was his own worst enemy at times. I don't think he had a great temperament, and certainly his temper could get the better of him.

I know that's me stating the obvious somewhat. But I wasn't a into snooker in 1996.

I think it was more Drago unravelling, though Ronnie was ruthless in pouncing on a wounded foe. I think (again, with hindsight) that Drago just wasn’t suited to multi-session matches - it was around this time that he was mesmerizing in opening up a 7-1 (I think it was) lead over John Higgins in a UK match, yet ended up stumbling over the line, 9-7 after a torrid second session.

I thought Drago lost that match (unless its another) - He led Higgins 6-0 during the first session and lost 9-6 I believe.

Higgins went on toreach the final to lose 10-9 to Hendry

Postby LC

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Think he lost that match 9-8 to Higgins

Postby SnookerEd25

Gosh, you’re right. Funny how you can mis-remember things. I remember he was awesome in the first session (Drago), missing nothing (or very little), & then looked a completely different player on the resumption but I was convinced he just about got over the line.

But looking at Cuetracker it was Higgins who prevailed. Drago led 6-0, trailed 6-8, somehow got back to 8-8 only to lose the decider.

Drago only ever beat Higgins in one session matches.