Post a reply

Re: The Eurosport and BBC alternative Crucible shows.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:How BBC have shown this final over any of Mark Williams world final wins is criminal.

These were made a couple of years ago, so I don't think the 2018 had happened then.

Saying that, I agree that 2003 should be there.

Actually, has Mark Williams featured in any of the classic matches? The BBC proper don't like him, do they?

Postby mick745

Think the BBC were scrambling around for a "classic" match that Ronnie won. There are actually very few close matches at the crucible in which he came out on top. Most of his victories were by bigger margins.

I think they felt obliged to show a few Ronnie victories.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:It seems Eurosport were only doing the vodcast for the first week and any of the ones shown this week were repeats, which is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, I noticed that last week. I didn't put any on to tape this week.

Maybe they ran out of things to talk about.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
To be fair I don’t think MJW’s aged that badly apart from his hair going grey.

His kids have scribbled all over him in indelible pen...

Postby mick745

Juddernaut88 wrote:Definitely feel BBC could have shown either 2000 world final or 2003. They've not shown any Mark Williams matches so maybe they don't like him lol.

Is that cause he snubbed them at that 40th anniversary bash.

Postby SnookerEd25

mick745 wrote:Think the BBC were scrambling around for a "classic" match that Ronnie won. There are actually very few close matches at the crucible in which he came out on top. Most of his victories were by bigger margins.

I’ve mentioned it before & i’ll keep wanging on about it - Ronnie v Andy Hicks in 2004 was, quite simply, one of the greatest matches the Crucible has EVER staged. Quite why it is continually overlooked is beyond me.

A toe-to-toe classic shootout.

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Definitely feel BBC could have shown either 2000 world final or 2003. They've not shown any Mark Williams matches so maybe they don't like him lol.

Is that cause he snubbed them at that 40th anniversary bash.

No this series was made before that happened.

Postby Iranu

The problem with this Ronnie-Hawkins match is there didn’t really feel like there was any drama while watching it live, let alone when you’re watching it back. It wasn’t really a close match from 7-7 onwards and even up to then you never got the impression Ronnie was under any pressure at all. He was so serene throughout.

Last year’s final would be similar if that was played back but it would at least have Judd’s seismic performance and the two 147 attempts.

As mentioned, the BBC obviously felt obliged to put one of Ronnie’s victories in but it’s a waste of a slot, really.

Postby TheRocket

Stats from the Ronnie Hawkins match. Maybe there was no drama but the quality was very high. No one can argue that. Just look at the pot and safety success.

Imo it was one of the best crucible finals ever in terms of raw quality. But I also admit that the Trump-Higgins final last year was slightly better. Not by much but Trumps produced the match of his life and Higgins also made 4 centuries.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:The problem with this Ronnie-Hawkins match is there didn’t really feel like there was any drama while watching it live, let alone when you’re watching it back. It wasn’t really a close match from 7-7 onwards and even up to then you never got the impression Ronnie was under any pressure at all. He was so serene throughout.

Last year’s final would be similar if that was played back but it would at least have Judd’s seismic performance and the two 147 attempts.

As mentioned, the BBC obviously felt obliged to put one of Ronnie’s victories in but it’s a waste of a slot, really.

I was there and I thought it was very exciting. My excitement may have been aided by the free World Snooker G n Ts that I'd consumed though.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:The problem with this Ronnie-Hawkins match is there didn’t really feel like there was any drama while watching it live, let alone when you’re watching it back. It wasn’t really a close match from 7-7 onwards and even up to then you never got the impression Ronnie was under any pressure at all. He was so serene throughout.

I was there and I thought it was very exciting. My excitement may have been aided by the free World Snooker G n Ts that I'd consumed though.

Oh I’m sure it was incredible being there, especially as a Ronnie fan.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:
mick745 wrote:Think the BBC were scrambling around for a "classic" match that Ronnie won. There are actually very few close matches at the crucible in which he came out on top. Most of his victories were by bigger margins.

I’ve mentioned it before & i’ll keep wanging on about it - Ronnie v Andy Hicks in 2004 was, quite simply, one of the greatest matches the Crucible has EVER staged. Quite why it is continually overlooked is beyond me.

A toe-to-toe classic shootout.

Ryan Day also gave him a few headaches in another very good match. Guessing around 2006; 13-10 in the end I think.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:

A classic toe-to-toe shootout.

It hasn't appeared in PinkBall's Crucible Classics series yet, so he'll definitely have it in his top 3; he's a discerning connoisseur, no way he'd have missed this one <ok>