Post a reply

Re: The Eurosport and BBC alternative Crucible shows.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:I didn’t realise Hendry was commentating before he retired.

Yeah, he did.

Maybe he was considering retirement for a while before he actually went through with it.

Fingers crossed that’s an omen for Murphy.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I've just twigged that these are on the Red Button in the evenings as well. (7pm and 9pm tonight.)

Why they hell have I been filling my box up with them? Ha Ha.

They’re on a continual loop on the red button once finished on B2, until the kids programmes start the next morning

Postby Iranu

The Ace wrote:The commentary was definitely better in the 80's. These days there are a lot of commentators who seem to enjoy the sound of their voices too much.

Neal Foulds and Dave Hendon talk about this a bit in yesterday’s Snooker Scene podcast.

Postby mick745

A lead commentator with a former pro expert summariser used to work well. Clive Everton and Jack Karnehm were great.

Nowadays the only qualification needed is to be a former player. Ability to commentate is not a necessary qualification.

Postby Juddernaut88

Higgins and Williams have aged badly. Higgins looks okay in 2011 but not so much now. Ronnie is the only one from the class of 92 that has aged okay.
Hendry also looked fine until he decided to keep the beard.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:Higgins and Williams have aged badly. Higgins looks okay in 2011 but not so much now. Ronnie is the only one from the class of 92 that has aged okay.
Hendry also looked fine until he decided to keep the beard.

The difference from mid-thirties to mid-forties in terms of how quickly you age is huge.

To be fair I don’t think MJW’s aged that badly apart from his hair going grey.

I like Hendry’s beard.

Postby Juddernaut88

I can remember being so gutted Higgins won that frame. I was stunned he played that double. Young Judd would clinch the UK Championship that year though and prove he has what it takes.

Postby The Ace

Juddernaut88 wrote:I can remember being so gutted Higgins won that frame. I was stunned he played that double. Young Judd would clinch the UK Championship that year though and prove he has what it takes.

That UK final against Allen was another great match.

Postby Iranu

I was watching Hendry and Ronnie on Instagram live for the last 45 minutes. I like that Hendry’s doing these, adds another dimension.

He’ll be chatting with Steve Davis on Monday at 8pm, that’ll be worth checking out.

Postby SnookerEd25

mick745 wrote:A lead commentator with a former pro expert summariser used to work well. Clive Everton and Jack Karnehm were great.

Nowadays the only qualification needed is to be a former player. Ability to commentate is not a necessary qualification.

Check out this battle of the commentators (on the table) from 1984; listen also for an unfamiliar voice in the commentary box - Alex Higgins - whose style in the booth is as unorthodox as it was on the baize...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiFTbUJeDs

Postby SnookerFan

That Ronnie vs Barry Hawkins final is on today.

Slightly overrated final that. Excellent standard by both, but there was only one winner. It was only really remembered because Barry Hawkins lost 18-12, when the 'experts' thought he'd lose by more

I'd have put the 2003 final over this.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:That Ronnie vs Barry Hawkins final is on today.

Slightly overrated final that. Excellent standard by both, but there was only one winner. It was only really remembered because Barry Hawkins lost 18-12, when the 'experts' thought he'd lose by more

If Mark Selby wins that 2013 with the exact same score line and stats, everyone calls it a rubbish final. It was a rubbish final.

Hawkins played very well but O’Sullivan was on planet ton that weekend and it was never a contest.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

If Mark Selby wins that 2013 with the exact same score line and stats, everyone calls it a rubbish final. It was a rubbish final.

Hawkins played very well but O’Sullivan was on planet ton that weekend and it was never a contest.

As I said somewhere else, the BBC pundits were bumming Ronnie the whole final, saying that was it was going to be a session to spare.

When that didn't happen, they had to act like Hawkins made it close when he hadn't really, just to make their previous waffle sound like expertise.

Postby The Ace

Disagree there. Not only was the 2013 final a very high standard, but Hawkins also played out of his skin and pushed Ronnie. Hawkins even took an early 3-2 lead in the match, which was the first time that Ronnie had trailed anyone throughout the entire tournament. It was essentially nip and tuck all the way until 7-7, at which point Ronnie started to pull away a bit. Hawkins stepped it up a gear and had a mini comeback to reduce things to 15-12, but Ronnie just pulled away again to win it.

Hawkins played brilliantly, and against any other opponent he could well have won the match. Ronnie had to play his absolute best to beat him.

Postby SnookerFan

The Ace wrote:

Disagree there. Not only was the 2013 final a very high standard, but Hawkins also played out of his skin and pushed Ronnie. Hawkins even took an early 3-2 lead in the match, which was the first time that Ronnie had trailed anyone throughout the entire tournament. It was essentially nip and tuck all the way until 7-7, at which point Ronnie started to pull away a bit. Hawkins stepped it up a gear and had a mini comeback to reduce things to 15-12, but Ronnie just pulled away again to win it.

Hawkins played brilliantly, and against any other opponent he could well have won the match. Ronnie had to play his absolute best to beat him.

Maybe I am remembering wrong.

Will possibly watch it at some point.