Post a reply

Re: Crucible Classics #18

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm sure Judd and Ronnie like each other. Ronnie used to be with Grove as well and Judd has said he has learned a lot from Ronnie.

yes thats true. He said a few times Ronnie was his idol and he also called him the greatest ever.

No doubt that he rates Ronnie and Higgins above any other player. And I'm sure he'd admit that playing them on a regular basis brought him to the next level.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:Selby has more centuries than either MJW or Ding, are they not breakbuilding players?

The fact that Selby is good at winning ugly doesn’t mean he can’t win pretty you bloody fool. Higgins is also good at winning ugly. I never said he played the same type of snooker as them! He plays a Steve Davis type of game, if anything. Is Steve Davis a talentless grinder?

Breakbuilding isn't just about centuries it's how you approach the game, the mindset, how you play, how you decide how you want to win frames. Attacking is a foreign concept to Selby.

Yeah I don't hear Hendry saying Higgins is good at winning ugly. I'll take his opinion over yours thank you very much. Selby is the ONLY player who was given that title of "winning ugly", no one else. Why? Because that's what he does. He's not easy on the eyes at all lmao but your favs are grinders so I understand why you like him.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:Selby has more centuries than either MJW or Ding, are they not breakbuilding players?

The fact that Selby is good at winning ugly doesn’t mean he can’t win pretty you bloody fool. Higgins is also good at winning ugly. I never said he played the same type of snooker as them! He plays a Steve Davis type of game, if anything. Is Steve Davis a talentless grinder?

Breakbuilding isn't just about centuries it's how you approach the game, the mindset, how you play, how you decide how you want to win frames. Attacking is a foreign concept to Selby.

Yeah I don't hear Hendry saying Higgins is good at winning ugly. I'll take his opinion over yours thank you very much. Selby is the ONLY player who was given that title of "winning ugly", no one else. Why? Because that's what he does. He's not easy on the eyes at all lmao but your favs are grinders so I understand why you like him.

No it isn’t.

Uh, Hendry and other commentators say that about Higgins ALL. THE. TIME.

Postby SnookerFan

Watch Selby's English Open win against Gilbert from October.

It's not foreign to him. He just doesn't always play that way.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Who's the bigger Selby fan? Wildey or iranu?

Skullman.

An even bigger Selby fanboy than iranu? :chin:

Postby Acé

SnookerFan wrote:Watch Selby's English Open win against Gilbert from October.

It's not foreign to him. He just doesn't always play that way.

Is that the norm though?

That's like saying Judd or Ronnie or Hendry are grinders because they play a few matches in their career where their scoring isn't good at all/having a bad day but they end up winning the match through bad play.

It wouldn't feel right would it?

One swallow doesn't make wife material

Postby Acé

Judd has improved his safety A LOT in the last 2-3 seasons but I sometimes get irritated when the commentators talk about Judd's safety, his bread and butter is still scoring like a machine and winning rubbish in one visit with a plethora of breaks. That's how he won the 2019 Masters and 2019 WC. It was the huge breaks

The safety was more like wrapping the package up with the package being honed offensive play.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:Lol according to Iranu now Selby players pretty snooker

LOL

Oh man this is hilarious.

Not always, no. The last few years, not even usually.

Postby TheRocket

i would really like to see more Trump-Selby matches in the future as I've pointed out a few times. But Selby obviously needs to find his form.

Would really like to see how Trump copes with Selbys game and tactics and whether he can overpower or overcome Selbys tactical game or if frustration creeps in like it does with Ronnie at times.

Postby The Ace

TheRocket wrote:i would really like to see more Trump-Selby matches in the future as I've pointed out a few times. But Selby obviously needs to find his form.

Would really like to see how Trump copes with Selbys game and tactics and whether he can overpower or overcome Selbys tactical game or if frustration creeps in like it does with Ronnie at times.

I think one of the big reasons that Judd has such a good record against Selby is that he doesn't let him get into his head. He doesn't seem to get frustrated with Selby the way that Ronnie does. Ronnie would have had another Masters and another World Championship to his name, arguably more, if he didn't let Selby's antics get to him.

Postby Iranu

Pockets really were very big back then, weren’t they?

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:Pockets really were very big back then, weren’t they?

I think Bingham said something like 'pockets were generous, a breakbuilders dream'.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:

I think Bingham said something like 'pockets were generous, a breakbuilders dream'.

This was actually meant for the Davis-Knowles replay lol

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:i would really like to see more Trump-Selby matches in the future as I've pointed out a few times. But Selby obviously needs to find his form.

Hey mate long time no see

I wouldn't look forward to it if I were you dude, since 2011 Judd owns Selby 6-1, 6-1 !!! outside of rubbish champions league and minor ranking events.

2011 China Open = Judd 10-8
2014 CoC = Judd 6-1
2015 German Masters = Selby 5-4
2016 European Masters = Judd 6-2
2019 Masters = Judd 6-2
2019 World Grand Prix = Judd 5-1
2019 International Champs (Selby's stronghold) = Judd 9-4

Don't know how many more beatings Selby can take at this point, only 2011 is the close match, every other has been a thorough trashing.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

This was actually meant for the Davis-Knowles replay lol

lol sry

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:

Hey mate long time no see

I wouldn't look forward to it if I were you dude, since 2011 Judd owns Selby 6-1, 6-1 !!! outside of rubbish champions league and minor ranking events.

2011 China Open = Judd 10-8
2014 CoC = Judd 6-1
2015 German Masters = Selby 5-4
2016 European Masters = Judd 6-2
2019 Masters = Judd 6-2
2019 World Grand Prix = Judd 5-1
2019 International Champs (Selby's stronghold) = Judd 9-4

Don't know how many more beatings Selby can take at this point, only 2011 is the close match, every other has been a thorough trashing.

I know that Judd has humiliated Selby in a lot of matches , especially recently but thats why I said we need Selby to find his (best) form. And I mean his 2017 WC form when he probably played his best Snooker.

I still think 2019 Trump would be too strong but Selby is a tough dude. He would make it as complicated as possible for Judd.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:I know that Judd has humiliated Selby in a lot of matches , especially recently but thats why I said we need Selby to find his (best) form. And I mean his 2017 WC form when he probably played his best Snooker.

I still think 2019 Trump would be too strong but Selby is a tough dude. He would make it as complicated as possible for Judd.

Selby can't grind down Trump if that's what you're thinking and he obviously isn't gonna outscore or outpot Trump, if 2017 Selby who struggled past Higgins is gonna face 2019 Trump who annihilated Higgins through his own snooker and abilities not waiting for his opponent to crumble then, Selby is going to get slaughtered

Higgins is the toughest opponent for Trump

while Selby is Trump's pigeon as evidenced by the H2H

so imagine what Trump would do to his pigeon given what he did to his toughest opponent last year.